Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Alternatives to L6 UX1 on Mac Catalina. (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1316272-alternatives-l6-ux1-mac-catalina.html)

Blackdog59 25th June 2020 10:36 AM

Alternatives to L6 UX1 on Mac Catalina.

Brief context intro: I use the guitar interface into my Mac just to practice/jam along backing tracks kind of stuff.

Got a L6 Guitar Port when it was first introduced. I was using a PC at the time and was happy with Gearbox and all the usual L6 models.

I successfully migrated that to a MBPro (2007 model) running El Capitan.

With the recent lockdown issue, the office computer (2018 MBP-Sierra) made it's way onto my home office desk. I tried migrating to that one and run into many problems, so I decided to buy a new I/F and went to a L6 UX1, about two months ago. After some masaging I got that one working fine, but since opening the box I got this feeling that I had just bought something almost obsolete. But the known software (Gearbox and PodFarm 2.5) were attractive enough to look past that.

Now it was time to update my own Mac and just bought a MacMini with Catalina. And L6 software does not work at all on that OS and L6 customer support does not show any intention to update them.

So, I will probably be throwing the UX1 in the trash after almost no use....

What are my alternatives (not too expensive)? I'm thinking Focusrite Scarlett Solo, or PreSonus Audiobox iOne.

Will these work with Catalina ? What are my options for modeling software for the kind of play-along I do ?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Monotremata 26th June 2020 04:59 AM

Ouch that sucks I bought the original UX2 about 10 years ago and the little single input black UX later to get Pod Farm 2 for cheaper then upgrading heh. That was the only and last time I will ever buy a computer based product from Line 6 again. They could not keep up with anything to save their lives.

Either one of those will be way better. Ive never used either one, but from what Ive seen, Focusrite seems to like to abandon its interfaces every now and then so be warned about that.

Keep the UX1 around because its basically a USB dongle for PODFarm 2 so you can still use the plugin in whatever DAW you go with. That way you won't lose your amp and effect sims. Some of those effects are pretty awesome still.

Mendocino beano 26th June 2020 05:59 AM

Can you still install Mojave on the new minis?

Monotremata 26th June 2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendocino beano (Post 14822426)

Haven't tried it on mine but you should be able to unless these have some newer firmware.. These still say 2018 Mac mini in 'About This Mac' so I don't see why they couldn't, we just have bigger hard drives than the last rev did. The rest of the guts are the same inside.

Blackdog59 26th June 2020 10:58 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monotremata (Post 14822370)
Keep the UX1 around because its basically a USB dongle for PODFarm 2 so you can still use the plugin in whatever DAW you go with. That way you won't lose your amp and effect sims. Some of those effects are pretty awesome still.

Well, that's the thing. The modeling is what I would like to keep, but the UX1 drivers do not work, so nothing works at all....

Quote:

Maybe, but eventually I will be facing the same problem down the road. I'd rather keep the OS unmolested and go with something that works in the current context.

I was trying installing the UX1/PodFarm under WinXP in Parallels, but I also ran into multiple issues.... Could not get it to work yet. Can't install the drivers and get them working...

This L6 thing is a major pain. Will the other brands be more user friendly for the installation ?

Blackdog59 26th June 2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

By the way.... Mi esposa es mendocina ! kfhkh

Monotremata 26th June 2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackdog59 (Post 14822726)
Thanks for the replies.

Well, that's the thing. The modeling is what I would like to keep, but the UX1 drivers do not work, so nothing works at all....

Maybe, but eventually I will be facing the same problem down the road. I'd rather keep the OS unmolested and go with something that works in the current context.

I was trying installing the UX1/PodFarm under WinXP in Parallels, but I also ran into multiple issues.... Could not get it to work yet. Can't install the drivers and get them working...

This L6 thing is a major pain. Will the other brands be more user friendly for the installation ?

Ahhh yeah that would be the kicker.. When I still used PodFarm, you had the option to transfer your license to an iLok instead, maybe they still have that option??

Line6 isn't really one of the companies I consider 'computer friendly'. They're on the ball when it comes to their hardware but the software side of things leaves alot to be desired. Stick with their stuff that doesn't require a PC/Mac and you'll have no trouble, but I would definitely think twice about buying anything to needs a computer to run..

Blackdog59 26th June 2020 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monotremata (Post 14823419)
Stick with their stuff that doesn't require a PC/Mac and you'll have no trouble, but I would definitely think twice about buying anything to needs a computer to run..

I know what you mean. I've had an M9 stomp modeller in my pedalboard for many years, and it's a solid performer...

But I don't want to waste any more time with the UX1. Right now the main contenders are the Focusrite Scarlett (Solo or 2i2), and the M-Audio Air...