Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Modular Mania - All Things Eurorack and Modular Synths/Effects (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/)
-   -   behringer system 100 worth it? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/1316217-behringer-system-100-worth.html)

gizeh12 24th June 2020 11:52 PM

behringer system 100 worth it?

I was quite impressed by the roland system 500 lately. I love the classic late 70's Roland sound! I think it's rather pricey though. The Behringer system 100 claims to be an "exact" replica of the Roland system 100. Did anyone have a chance to check it out? How does the sound hold up against the real thing or roland sys 500?

TYT756 25th June 2020 06:42 AM

Following this thread. I wanted to get into the Behringer modules but they are so HP hungry, it didn't make sense to me to incorporate them in my current rack. Once reviews start coming, I think it will be interesting to get a cheap skiff/dedicated rack just for them.

Sebastian N 25th June 2020 10:35 AM

ranzee has 4 videos on the boland system 100

Derp 25th June 2020 03:31 PM

System-500 owner here. I'm not too familiar with the OG 100 sound, but I like the sound of the 500. Only thing is that, as mentioned, they're really expensive for what they are. I'm not in a rush for them, but I wouldn't mind a Behry 100 voice later down the line. I've been really impressed with Behringer's entries into analog (as a former Pro One owner, the Pro 1 nails it!), so I'm expecting that the System 100 and Moog Modular clones are going to sound great. The Behry modules are rather large, but I think it'd be worth buying a small case to dedicate to them. They're not power-hungry, so even a cheapie should work.

TYT756 25th June 2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 14820869)
The Behry modules are rather large, but I think it'd be worth buying a small case to dedicate to them. They're not power-hungry, so even a cheapie should work.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. In the beginning I was disappointed and completely discounted them due to the function to HP ratio being quite bad, but then I realised that with the module's low prices and the low prices of the Behringer cases, it evens out.

I do hope they venture into more complex/function dense modules. Otherwise they will be competing with Doepfer, which is not really interesting or beneficial to anyone.

gizeh12 25th June 2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYT756 (Post 14820962)
That's exactly what I'm thinking. In the beginning I was disappointed and completely discounted them due to the function to HP ratio being quite bad, but then I realised that with the module's low prices and the low prices of the Behringer cases, it evens out.

I do hope they venture into more complex/function dense modules. Otherwise they will be competing with Doepfer, which is not really interesting or beneficial to anyone.

im not an expert on modular synths but couldn't you just plug those sys 100 units in a doepfer a100? Or will that introduce problems with voltage etc?

https://www.thomann.de/nl/doepfer_a_...CABEgL6QfD_BwE

TYT756 26th June 2020 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizeh12 (Post 14821826)
im not an expert on modular synths but couldn't you just plug those sys 100 units in a doepfer a100? Or will that introduce problems with voltage etc?

https://www.thomann.de/nl/doepfer_a_...CABEgL6QfD_BwE

no it should work fine

donutschool 26th June 2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYT756 (Post 14820285)
Following this thread. I wanted to get into the Behringer modules but they are so HP hungry, it didn't make sense to me to incorporate them in my current rack. Once reviews start coming, I think it will be interesting to get a cheap skiff/dedicated rack just for them.

I wouldn't say that the core Boland 100 VCO, VCF, Env and VCAs - or the 3-in-one VCO/VCF/VCA that they've just released the video for - are HP heavy. Or, rather, although they're relatively wide they have a lot of functionality-per-HP: they're all "dual" modules with individual controls for each half, multiple mod inputs, all with their own attenuators, 3-way mixers on the VCF and VCA, 2 ADSRs and a LFO on the Env... The extra HP you use on the modules you;; get back by not needing nearly as many mults, mixers and attenuverters.

Yes, there are smaller "dual" modules but (even ignoring the price) they tend to share controls, with 'mode' buttons and faders that don't always reflect the setting...

Some of the B100 effects and EQs look a bit bulky - but they're not compulsory unless you're building a replica.

C.f. the Boog System 55 modules where everything seems to need some sort of controller or converter module plus a shedload of attenuators and multiples and seems to be exclusively aimed at people who want a warts-and-all replica.

SkyWriter 26th June 2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donutschool (Post 14823540)
C.f. the Boog System 55 modules where everything seems to need some sort of controller or converter module plus a shedload of attenuators and multiples and seems to be exclusively aimed at people who want a warts-and-all replica.

"It's like a butter churn on steroids."

Markincork 27th June 2020 11:06 AM

VCF just arrived in the post. Nice and sturdy build.

LeeUK 17th July 2020 09:19 AM

Just received the VCO, VCF and VCA. They appear to be well built and once I get the 140 module it will make a nice little starter kit. Not that it's going to stay like that mind you. In terms of price they can't really be touched. Equivalent S100M based envelope/LFO modules appear to be anywhere from 60% to 120% more expensive. Of course price isn't everything, but I do think that the manufacturing scale that Behringer enjoys certainly gives it the ability to be a lot more cost effective.

This is my first venture into modular and I'm afraid it could be the start of a healthy obsession.