Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   iZotope and GRAMMY-nominated Composer, BT, Launch Stutter Edit 2 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1316172-izotope-grammy-nominated-composer-bt-launch-stutter-edit-2-a.html)

The Press Desk 24th June 2020 05:05 PM

iZotope and GRAMMY-nominated Composer, BT, Launch Stutter Edit 2

1 Attachment(s)

iZotope and GRAMMY-nominated Composer, BT, Launch Stutter Edit 2

New Version Simplifies Workflow and Packs in Additional Effects

iZotope Inc., Cambridge, MA (June 24, 2020) – iZotope Inc., the experts in intelligent audio technology, has launched Stutter Edit® 2, the latest plug-in collaboration with GRAMMY®-nominated composer and electronic musician Brian Transeau (BT).

Stutter Edit 2 creates the famous “stutter” editing effect with one button, slicing audio into small fragments and sequencing the pieces into razor-sharp rhythmic effects, recreating techniques that previously took hours to perfect in a studio. In addition to these trademark stutter effects, performers and producers can juggle between a multitude of rhythmic gestures to build tension and create dynamics, both in live performances and studio arrangements.

This new version offers an easier setup experience and a greatly expanded suite of effects that give access to near-infinite combinations of sound. With new AUTO mode, users can add sounds to mixes without routing or easily connect a MIDI controller to access multiple gestures at once. The new version also includes an upgraded Distort module and new Comb, Chorus and Limiter modules, a new Reverb module from BT’s personal collection, along with a suite of 11 effects. Every parameter in Stutter Edit 2 can be set to move in time with the gesture, letting users create everything from automatic pans to jumping reverb effects and more.

Features:

Stutter engine: Create instant rhythmic patterns out of any sound. Trap your hi hat. Make your vocals skip and jump. Turn percussion into pitch. Make an instant dubstep breakdown.

*Improved* An easier setup with AUTO mode for auditioning sounds in a mix with hassle-free with one button. Or hook up a MIDI controller with step-by-step in-app help that detects a DAW.

*New* Curve Editor affects any setting in Stutter Edit 2, letting you make sweeping filters, pumping reverbs, and blends of lo-fi energy. Drill into any setting to edit the curve in detail, or choose from 12 premade curves for instant inspiration.

*New* effects modules: get the creative juices flowing with deeper controls and more options for motion and chaos. Stutter Edit 2 adds new Comb and Chorus modules, along with a full-featured Reverb and two-band Distort module.

*New* Banks and gestures designed by BT deliver a wealth of effects, ideas, and sounds. Saved banks auto-map to your MIDI key keyboard, giving you dozens of gestures at your fingertips.

*New* UI experience offers a logical workflow, with a new dedicated output section, easier Stutter controls, and a flexible system for saving banks and gestures.

BT is widely recognized for pioneering the "stutter edit" as a musical technique. He originally designed iZotope’s Stutter Edit® software to help automate his painstaking process for breaking audio into impossibly small fragments and using them for new sound synthesis.

“Stutter Edit 2 is unique in that it offers world-class effects and complex rhythmic parameter sequencing in a form that is playable by anyone,” said BT. “We are excited for this updated version to launch as its predecessor has already found its way into the studios of some of the greatest sound designers and artists, and the effect can be heard all over blockbuster films, hit songs, commercials and trailers.”

"With the first version of Stutter Edit, our collaboration with BT influenced music makers across every genre of music," says iZotope co-founder and CEO Mark Ethier. "We are thrilled to continue our partnership with BT and launch the next chapter of this pioneering product."

Stutter Edit 2 is now available at www.izotope.com and select retailers. Stutter Edit 2 will also be available Rent-to-Own through Splice. Pricing details for new customers and upgrading customers can be found at www.izotope.com/stutteredit. Owners of the previous version Stutter Edit can find their upgrade coupons in their iZotope account.

teletron 24th June 2020 05:56 PM

Wow what a bad gui. I mean wow.

Squeegee 303 24th June 2020 07:02 PM

Wow. What a great GUI.

Definitely going to buy the upgrade. I am glad it’s still being developed.

Constant_K 24th June 2020 07:11 PM

This is the FX one not the drum machine right?

Maybe we'll get a trash 3 then if they're resurrecting old products?

Squeegee 303 24th June 2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constant_K (Post 14819297)
This is the FX one not the drum machine right?

Maybe we'll get a trash 3 then if they're resurrecting old products?

Correct. Breaktweaker is the drum plugin.

Sampleconstruct 24th June 2020 07:56 PM

My first encounter with Stutter Edit 2 using a custom patch, processing a simple drum groove - tweaking things on the fly.

PitchSlap 25th June 2020 01:52 AM

It would be great if banks for Stutter Edit 1 could be imported.
Plenty of useful new features but far too many of the included presets suffer from the kitchen sink effect.

Sampleconstruct 25th June 2020 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitchSlap (Post 14819971)
It would be great if banks for Stutter Edit 1 could be imported.
Plenty of useful new features but far too many of the included presets suffer from the kitchen sink effect.

As usual with iZotope presets are not compatible between versions of a given product, they just don't care...

World Studios 25th June 2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sampleconstruct (Post 14820205)
As usual with iZotope presets are not compatible between versions of a given product, they just don't care...

Yeah. Whats up with that? It seems to be so easy to implement. You can share presets from Ozone 8 and 9, but only in a very clumsy long winded way. Still it proves that the presets are compatible, so why make it so hard? In protools the biggest problem is probably that they have different names and appear as different plugins, but I can open patches made in ReFx Nexus in the new Nexus 3 and it remembers the settings even if the name has changed...

djwaxxy 25th June 2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teletron (Post 14819140)
Wow what a bad gui. I mean wow.

thats what i thought..the font colours are terrible i wouldnt like to use this in a live situaion.ive got stutter 1 and the upgrade price isnt too bad but i dont see anything really massivly different too version 1.
i was really hoping theyd do a upgraded breaktweaker which would add drag and drop midi its a bit unintuative too use because you need to set patterns too keys which you then trigger in your daw but thats old fashoined it really needs updating.

Volt9 26th June 2020 01:48 PM

I like and have stutter edit. I am demoing and don't really hear a difference with the first version.

I am wondering if it is worth the 80,- euro upgrade price?

Sampleconstruct 26th June 2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt9 (Post 14822908)
I like and have stutter edit. I am demoing and don't really hear a difference with the first version.

Well the big difference is that each parameter now has a dedicated MSEG plus more FX on board, it that's worth the upgrade price?

Squeegee 303 26th June 2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sampleconstruct (Post 14823039)
Well the big difference is that each parameter now has a dedicated MSEG plus more FX on board, it that's worth the upgrade price?

I will add that iZotope releasing this update hopefully means that Stutter edit will not become abandonware like iDrum and Spectron. Part of my motivation for buying the upgrade, in addition to enjoying new features, is to keep Stutter Edit alive, especially with the transition to Apple Silicon coming.
Also, if iZotope sees a positive reaction and sufficient purchases of Stutter Edit 2, maybe that will further motivate a new update to BreakTweaker.

Volt9 27th June 2020 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sampleconstruct (Post 14823039)

Well, good question!

Sounddesigner 28th June 2020 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 (Post 14823324)
I will add that iZotope releasing this update hopefully means that Stutter edit will not become abandonware like iDrum and Spectron. Part of my motivation for buying the upgrade, in addition to enjoying new features, is to keep Stutter Edit alive, especially with the transition to Apple Silicon coming.
Also, if iZotope sees a positive reaction and sufficient purchases of Stutter Edit 2, maybe that will further motivate a new update to BreakTweaker.

Good point! You helped convinced me to upgrade. This V2 of Stutter Edit is a somewhat skimpy and skinny upgrade but atleast we have a upgrade, and a shot at future compatibility on future O/S's. I am a owner of the disccontinued Spectron and hated when it got discontinued. I really like Stutter Edit and Breaktweaker and want Izotope to keep them around with upgrades so i will support by upgrading. I will further investigate the new effects and functionality to see how good they are but i'm fairly certain i'll be upgrading anyways. I wonder if the new reverb in Stutter Edit is created by Michael who use to work for Lexicon and who owned Exponential Audio but now works for Izotope, if so it might be a great reverb.

bibbster 2nd July 2020 06:11 PM

I'm a big fan of Izotope and have most of there stuff. checked the demo and baffled me how confusing it is!! i was shocked

Volt9 3rd July 2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt9 (Post 14822908)

After some demoing I have to correct myself!

It is better then the original. And the extra fx makes it sound nicer. So nice upgrade, I could not resist.

NOT CONNECTED 3rd July 2020 08:07 AM

this BT guy gets on my nerves already
i wish companies would stop affiliating with this has been

ArcticAudio 3rd July 2020 11:33 AM

You still need a damn degree in this plugin to operate it :facepalm:

Volt9 3rd July 2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticAudio (Post 14836334)
You still need a damn degree in this plugin to operate it :facepalm:

It is not so hard!

Check this:

simon.billington 9th July 2020 05:04 PM

The new curves feature gives you an insane amount of control. Unfortunately there is not a lot automatable when working in Auto mode. I'd definitely like to see improvements there as not everything requires a full fledged midi setup. Often its just one or two changes that we want to automate without the extra pain of configuring sends and sidechains and recording midi performances.

horseface 10th July 2020 02:56 PM

Cool to see Izotope joining forces with this vital up and coming artist to produce an effect plugin which makes the cutting edge sound of stuttering both quick and easy.

Neptune45 10th July 2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseface (Post 14849739)
Cool to see Izotope joining forces with this vital up and coming artist to produce an effect plugin which makes the cutting edge sound of stuttering both quick and easy.

lol

Volt9 15th July 2020 11:39 AM

How do you handle the delay compensation 'problem' with stutter edit 2? Probably also version 1?

I work in ableton and when I start using plugins that at latency the plugins themself works great and it seems that ableton compensate it with delay compensation as usual. But then it seems stutter edit 2 does not get corrected by delay compensation? And it gets out of sync. When I delete the other plugins it works as normal again.

Anyone else with this issue?

Neptune45 15th July 2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt9 (Post 14858593)
How do you handle the delay compensation 'problem' with stutter edit 2? Probably also version 1?

I work in ableton and when I start using plugins that at latency the plugins themself works great and it seems that ableton compensate it with delay compensation as usual. But then it seems stutter edit 2 does not get corrected by delay compensation? And it gets out of sync. When I delete the other plugins it works as normal again.

Maybe it's meant to add that as a stutter effect lol :lol:

Just kidding around. I have no idea as haven't gone to version 2 yet.

Sampleconstruct 16th July 2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt9 (Post 14858593)

In Logic the busses are not delay compensated so if you sidechain SE from a bus it will receive an out of sync-signal, if you sidechain directly from an instrument or audio track it works fine. So maybe that could be the culprit in Ableton as well?

Volt9 17th July 2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sampleconstruct (Post 14861505)
In Logic the busses are not delay compensated so if you sidechain SE from a bus it will receive an out if sync signal, if you sidechain directly from an instrument or audio track it works fine. So maybe that could be the culprit in Ableton as well?

I did not checked it, I will this morning. But with what your saying I am almost sure that is the issue. So it will also give me a work around path.

Thanks, very helpfull! kfhkh

Volt9 4th August 2020 06:44 PM

https://i.imgur.com/mVsTmC6.png

I am not angry very easily but this makes me! So fast after release? First milk out a regular stutter user. And then offer it for 50% of the intro offer to almost every other Izotope user.

Shame on you Izotope! Really shame on you!

(sorry for the rant)

Squeegee 303 4th August 2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt9 (Post 14896795)
https://i.imgur.com/mVsTmC6.png

I am not angry very easily but this makes me! So fast after release? First milk out a regular stutter user. And then offer it for 50% of the intro offer to almost every other Izotope user.

Shame on you Izotope! Really shame on you!

(sorry for the rant)

Yes. I agree. As someone who paid $79 to upgrade to Stutter Edit 2, this hurts.

Neptune45 4th August 2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 (Post 14896814)
Yes. I agree. As someone who paid $79 to upgrade to Stutter Edit 2, this hurts.

I didn't purchase the upgrade as didn't really use the first Stutter Edit but when I read the E-Mail I was thinking that there will be a lot of displeased customers.

When have Izotope ever done upgrade schemes properly though? They are all over the place with zero organisation imo.

I have MPS3 and like it but their upgrade pathways need serious reforms if they are looking to keep a loyal following in a very competitive market place.