Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   Working from an apartment - Film Composer (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1315694-working-apartment-film-composer.html)

Reeve 20th June 2020 04:59 PM

Working from an apartment - Film Composer

Anyone here have 1st hand experience with working from an apartment regarding making noise? (Taking into consideration the infinite amount of variables regarding wall thickness, ambient noise, drywall material used, unfriendly neighbor etc etc)

My findings are that I can barely hear a neighbor speaking at loud volume through the walls (85-95db) I can hear the bass frequencies of the voice but cannot make out the words, my ambient noise is 42db (windows closed) + 55db (windows open).

General drywall sound transmission class (STC) is roughly 30-34..This tells me that I should be able to work at 80db max volume without concern or worry about being an a**hole (during working daylight hours of course)

Any film composers work in apartments and measure their db's? Of course I have invited to talk to my neighbor, but Covid makes everything tricky & everyone is at home these days so thought I would gather other peoples opinions on this matter.

Im aware of headphones being the popular answer, im trying to avoid that. I am also going to be killing my sub (footswitch) and activating it for 45min/day to double check sub frequencies. As we know, low mids and subs are always an issue.

I have my eyes as this for a solution: (Starc Modular Walls)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93ufDcAX_I

@ $375/linear ft though its a hefty investment, but looks promising.

bainmack 20th June 2020 05:23 PM

I live in an apartment. I've built bass traps and put them on stands and surround my desk and behind me when I'm working.
My place is small so the stands are temporary and only pull them out when I'm working.
It helps dampen lot of the residual noise coming from neighbors/outside my door hallway.
The low frequencies will still get thru but it helps overall.

Hope this help! cheers.
bainmack

Kyle P. Gushue 20th June 2020 06:49 PM

The issue with STC is it doesnt go below 125hz. Music does, so just like you can hear the bass of the neighbor voice, they will hear the bass of the music which dips lower than voices. The ir irc-761 shows test data of walls below 125hz. This can help you get a better idea of what to expect.

Reeve 20th June 2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue (Post 14811518)
The issue with STC is it doesnt go below 125hz. Music does, so just like you can hear the bass of the neighbor voice, they will hear the bass of the music which dips lower than voices. The ir irc-761 shows test data of walls below 125hz. This can help you get a better idea of what to expect.

Very interesting. Im going through this now.

puffer3 26th June 2020 01:51 AM

Rockwool panels

I am a composer in LA and I built some rockwool wall panels with roxul 80 that have pretty high absorption. They were more for room treatment than isolation, but the do both. I dont use a sub and keep an SPL meter near my desk. I like to work at pretty low levels most of the time, and these did the trick for taking the sound down a few notches on the other side of the wall and also made my room sound a lot lot better.

Building a floating room or having a whisper room are the expensive and somewhat impractical possibilities. Neoprene rubber is the best for stopping sound dead from what I have read, the thicker the better, but its expensive.

The panels I made were easy to build with some 1x3's from home depot, some grill fabric from joanns and an afternoon or so of work. I hung them with french cleats.

I used the Rockboard 80 I think it was called, which is firmer and more sound centric than the stuff they sell at home depot (I had it sent from the manufacturer). I got extra to make bass traps, but the first round of treatment was enough for me. If you are in the LA area I have extra insulation I was saving till I moved into another space but would let it go for cost.