Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Introductions (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/introductions/)
-   -   It's time to join .... really ! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/introductions/1315075-its-time-join-really.html)

AddHarmonics 15th June 2020 11:45 PM

It's time to join .... really !

For years I have been lurking these forums, but did not join for fear of getting another online addiction. But these last months I have been researching a lot on analog mixers and see that the level of experience here is top notch.

Anyway ! I'm an experienced part time hard dance music producer, mastering engineer and former dj. I grew up on Atari Cubase with an Ensoniq Mirage and a Yamaha RX 15, lots of gear followed after that (909, 707, S20, S6000, A4000, juno 106, alpha juno 1+2, MS2000, JP8080, M3500, M2600, 32.8/24.8, 200b, poly 61, tc fireworx, tc powercore, etc.)

After some years going fully in-the-box and re-learning how to work that way I'm now working my way to a hybrid situation, using an analog mixer. Or better, mixers to choose from. Over time I have collected a specific selection of consoles with which I would like to make some video's, covering specifications, build quality/design, sound and using the gain to "add harmonics", which shaped the hard dance genre's in the 90's. Basicly I want to make the video's I would like to see myself, which still aren't there yet after years browsing youtube.

This is the mixer line-up:
Mackie 16.8 + meterbridge
Mackie 24.8 (for parts)
Mackie 32.8
Mackie 1640i 16ch
Behringer MX2004 12ch (my first parametric EQ mixer)
Behringer MX8000 24ch + meterbridge
A&H GS3 24ch
A&H GS3000 32ch + meterbridge
Soundcraft Delta monitor 32ch
Soundcraft Ghost 32ch
Soundcraft LX7 mkI 16ch
Soundcraft LIVE mkI 8ch
Soundcraft Spirit Folio 10/2
Roland M16-e 16ch

Some of these appear to be great candidates for modding, so I'll try to look into that. I'm not an experienced technician but willing to learn and see what is possible within reach (I did succesfully mod my TR 909 some time ago though). The mackie 1640i has the typical dead power supply with bulging caps so that's a start. Already got the better-than-factory parts delivered.

I would like to get into the mackie 8 bus versus behringer mx 8000 subject (apparently settled out of court, I read it here on GS), with the close following release of the Ghost, which has a lot of simularities to the GS3000 (same designer according to a post on GS). Lots of stuff to dive into, while the consoles themselves are right in front of me which is what gearslutz like me would like to see.

Also null testing is on my list, like checking out the difference between using an old and new (blue dog) or restored power supply while the desk itself has the exact same untouched mix. Or nulling the EQ's of one mixer with another one as much as possible. Does it really make a difference if the 32.8 EQ's are bypassed or not ? Just to check stuff out for myself, like a peer review after reading many comments on these subjects.

Lots of plans to get done, which will be worked on after the completion of my new studio which is a complete other story by itself (symetric non paralel walls etc.)

I'll try to keep it short so thanks for having me here kfhkh

Synth Guru 16th June 2020 01:40 AM

Greetings AddHarmonics

Welcome to Gearslutz :cowbell: