Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Softube releases Amp Room and Marshall Cabinet Collection (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1314314-softube-releases-amp-room-marshall-cabinet-collection.html)

The Press Desk 10th June 2020 09:55 AM

Softube releases Amp Room and Marshall Cabinet Collection

1 Attachment(s)
Imagine visiting a luxury studio full of vintage gear including classic Marshall amps, legendary cabinets, pedals, and mics and being offered anything you need to configure exactly how you want it to produce the very best guitar and bass tones.

Softube Amp Room is a modern platform designed for the discerning professional, the connoisseur, to be a continuously growing system of everything you need to create high-quality, authentic, and incredibly realistic guitar and bass sounds. You’re the master of puppets, mixing and matching all the gear you need to create mix-ready guitar and bass sounds just like you would in a physical studio. You can also process other sound sources, such as drum, vocals, and synth tracks. All the gear you chose from your visit to that luxury studio is configured to your exact specifications and ready to use.

A platform for album-ready guitar and bass sounds

Amp Room comes with 6 amplifiers, 16 cabinets, 10 effects pedals, 3 studio effects (including the American Class A channel strip as 2 modules), 8 utility modules, and 260 presets covering a wide variety of styles and genres. Not only that, you can also load a selection of Softube plug-ins, like amps, compressors and equalizers, as modules. Customizable, flexible, and as simple or complex as you need it to be. Add expansion packs and create your personal digital studio with everything you need to create high-quality, incredibly realistic guitar sounds, exactly the way you want them.

Marshall Cabinet Collection

In addition to Amp Room, the platform itself, Softube is also releasing Marshall Cabinet Collection, an Amp Room exclusive collection of 8 classic, rare, and handwired speaker cabinets by Marshall, versatile enough for any style or genre of music from vintage to modern. They were all recorded at Dugout Productions studio by producer Daniel Bergstrand (Behemoth, Meshuggah, In Flames), and each one has 6 single microphone options and 6 mix-ready microphone combinations unique to each cabinet that sound absolutely incredible. Use them with any amplifier in Amp Room, use the mix-ready microphone combinations, or put multiples of the same cabinet in parallel to create your own combinations.

In short
  • NEW: Softube Amp Room—a modular guitar and bass platform for the connoisseur, designed with careful component modeling and sound quality as top priority
  • Mix and match amps, cabs, pedals, studio effects, and more to create high-quality, authentic, and incredibly realistic guitar and bass sounds
  • A continuously growing platform and ecosystem, compatible with other Softube plug-ins, such as amps, compressors, and equalizers–the American Class A channel strip is included as 2 modules: compressor and equalizer
  • Highly customizable: patch in any kind of studio tool you need anywhere in the chain
  • Build patches that are difficult or impossible in a physical studio
  • Useful for any style and genre
  • Upgrade paths available from previous guitar and bass products: Vintage Amp Room, Bass Amp Room, Metal Amp Room, and Amp Room Bundle
  • NEW: Marshall Cabinet Collection—Amp Room exclusive collection of classic Marshall cabinets with enough variety and options to cover any style and genre
  • 8 classic, rare, handwired speaker cabinets recorded by producer Daniel Bergstrand with 6 mics, selectable as single options or mix-ready combinations
  • Officially licensed and endorsed by Marshall

Link : https://www.softube.com/products/amp-room

folkfreak 10th June 2020 10:06 AM

I think although the gui looks good the handling isn't very good, but the sound is great....

And the upgrade price with the additional promo code is a nobrainer for what you get.
Thanks Softube

Twrogstudio 10th June 2020 10:55 AM

I’ve not been much of a fan of the old amp room plugins, but some of the presets here, with the new effects etc really show off those old plugins in a new light kfhkh

cprompt 10th June 2020 11:25 AM

The work area in the GUI is zoomable, but it doesn't remember its setting when closing and opening the UI. Also, the UI itself is not zoomable and much of it is hard to read. Minor quibbles I guess.

I have Metal Amp Room and the legacy presets in Amp Room are about 99% identical. Make of that what you will. MAR is good for what it is but not amazing by today's standards.

Overall, it's pretty good but it didn't blow me away (yet! Need to play with it some more).

Shaggy2039 10th June 2020 01:11 PM

Demoing this now. Gotta be honest here - I just don't think Amp Room sounds all that great. Most of the presets are overkill. I do love the concept of it but I just purchased the Nembrini PSA1000 (which in on sale, btw) and I would go to that first before using any of the stuff in Amp Room.

Jeezo 10th June 2020 02:02 PM

I personnaly had killa tone thks to new cabs and doecially the DTC guyz , it gives the playing all the dynamic and subtility we might loose with old versions ...

Also gain is different from the amps outisde (output mainly ) so at first i thoughth the sale amp (Marshall here) sounded different outside than inside the amp room but it was the gain .

Another thing to noticed for people that have eden , marshall ect ...be sure to update those to see them in the list ...

The workflow was kinda strange at first but you get used to fast

My main request would be :

1) A double click in empty era to center the layout and zoom to display anything

2) user presets from external amps (actually ony factory presets are visible)

3) A small bird view ala THu to navigate the chain (check thu down right in the gui )

4) upgrade from other amps (marshall and eden ) would be great also ;) but inthink the price is fair , seeing the price of single amps around !!

Guyz i m having crazy noises when i insert tape and tube delay ...anyone ?

DSK 10th June 2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Softube (Post 14711485)
Hey, Tom from Softube here. I just want to address upgrade paths and Console 1 not recognizing the new channel strip:

All owners of separate Weiss licences have available upgrade paths to the Weiss Complete Collection. To see your upgrade price, make sure you're logged into your Softube account, and you'll find it on the Weiss Complete Collection product page. Important to note is that you will not get an upgrade price from any Volume collection. Upgrade paths work by sacrificing previous licences, and we wouldn't want to take your whole Volume licence.

[....]

If you're experiencing issues with upgrade prices, the channel strip not working, or really anything else Softube-related, you can always send an email to [email protected].

Hope this helps!
/Tom

WARNING SARCASM!

Don't upgrade from any Volume as you'll surrender your license as Tom here EXPLICITLY said shiee

They really wouldn't want to do that to us, like they say in the quote above... but they have too, there is no other way.

Because you know, that's how UPGRADE PATHS WORKcooge

At least Amp Room is worth surrendering a license for, but Weiss is not. So it's that good I imagine :facepalm:

/s :cop: heppy

Aziak 10th June 2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSK (Post 14791840)
Don't upgrade from any Volume as you'll surrender your license .....

That is not true. :tut:
I upgraded from Volume and nothing really changed other than a new Amp Room license has been deposited in my iLok account.
Didn't surrender my Volume license when activated it, no prompt for that at all.

Volume owners are eligible for the upgrade, they can get the Amp Room at a heavy discounted price and that's all. kfhkh

Cheers!

zvenx 10th June 2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 (Post 14791766)
Demoing this now. Gotta be honest here - I just don't think Amp Room sounds all that great. Most of the presets are overkill. I do love the concept of it but ..............

Phew..
I thought I was the only one.
I demoed it and removed it two hours later... Did nothing soundwise for me either. I think I already have much better options, soundwise.

rsp

DSK 10th June 2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aziak (Post 14791894)
That is not true. :tut:
I upgraded from Volume and nothing really changed other than a new Amp Room license has been deposited in my iLok account.
Didn't surrender my Volume license when activated it, no prompt for that at all.

Volume owners are eligible for the upgrade, they can get the Amp Room at a heavy discounted price and that's all. kfhkh

Cheers!

Yes I know, I just was pointing out that they said they couldn't offer any upgrades crossgrades from Volume licenses for Weiss, unless they take your licenses away... "and they wouldn't want that".. :facepalm:

Yet magically they can offer a crossgrade/upgrade from Volume owners to a lesser product with no issue. :cop:

Sorry if my sarcasm was not clear enough.

Aziak 10th June 2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSK (Post 14792133)
Yes I know, I just was pointing out that they said they couldn't offer any upgrades crossgrades from Volume licenses for Weiss, unless they take your licenses away... "and they wouldn't want that".. :facepalm:

Yet magically they can offer a crossgrade/upgrade from Volume owners to a lesser product with no issue. :cop:

Sorry if my sarcasm was not clear enough.

You are absolutely right, about the upgrades and crossgrades shenanigans Softube creates, like the Weiss one you have pointed out.
Your sarcasm was understood by me, but for the people who didn't follow the Weiss EQ1 thread and don't know on what you are referring too, your post looked like intentional misinformation. My intention was just to fix this.

Now, since the Amp Room can be upgraded from Volume, two things come to my mind. 1) They managed to fix the "problem", so there is no need to surrender Volume licenses anymore or 2) They just lied before, for a reason they only know. :cop:

Cheers!

DSK 10th June 2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aziak (Post 14792284)
You are absolutely right, about the upgrades and crossgrades shenanigans Softube creates, like the Weiss one you have pointed out.
Your sarcasm was understood by me, but for the people who didn't follow the Weiss EQ1 thread and don't know on what you are referring too, your post looked like intentional misinformation. My intention was just to fix this.

Now, since the Amp Room can be upgraded from Volume, two things come to my mind. 1) They managed to fix the "problem", so there is no need to surrender Volume licenses anymore or 2) They just lied before, for a reason they only know. :cop:

Cheers!

You're right, I'm gonna edit it to make it less declarative

V3nge 10th June 2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zvenx (Post 14792123)
Phew..
I thought I was the only one.
I demoed it and removed it two hours later... Did nothing soundwise for me either. I think I already have much better options, soundwise.

rsp

What are you using now?

zvenx 10th June 2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V3nge (Post 14792451)
What are you using now?

For Guitar:
Choice 1 and 2 :):
Overloud TH-U with RigPlayer and usually choptones (and BHS) rig packs.

Choice : depends either S-Gear or Fuse Audio F-59.

I have other stuff but they aren't used nearly as often.

For Bass:
Choice 1: Softube's Eden
Choice 2: Overloud's Mark Studio 2

and others which I don't use as often.

After this thread I went back and installed Amp Room and nope.... my first impression still stands. (and clearly I mean the Guitar stuff and non Eden Bass stuff)
rsp

DistortedMinds 10th June 2020 08:03 PM

Gave it a spin and think it sounds and feels really good.
It takes a bit more time to dial in a polished sound, but the quality of all the amps, cabs, pedals and studio tools are top notch and you can eventually end up with a very professional guitar track. I look forward to see what else they release for it.

gilmanoel 10th June 2020 11:31 PM

When I read about cabinets licensed by Marshall I didn't hesitate to try it out! But what a disappointment ... The cabinets do not sound so good, few options for microphones and positions. I think IR's are much better, like Dr. Bonkers, Fractal, Torpedo etc.

The idea is very interesting and in the future it can be sensational, but for the time being it does not present anything that in my view is worth $99. For now it just seems like a platform with few options, a product launched in a hurry or without enough content. Sorry :cop:

electro 10th June 2020 11:45 PM

what AMPs are modelled?

DSK 10th June 2020 11:54 PM

From their webpage

Amps

One of the guitar amps is the Marshall JCM800, a classic from 1981 that embodies the essence of the Marshall sound. Other amps include a 1964 model that’s great for British Invasion tones, a 1966 version of a classic American combo amplifier that’s made for semi-dirty blues riffs, a German high-gain amp designed for metal, and a late 70s bass amp that’s perfect for classic rock. There’s also a custom DI direct input that adds direct injection functionality so you can blend the bass amp with an unprocessed bass track.

Jeezo 10th June 2020 11:57 PM

Marshall , fender , vox , for the german , i don t know/care and for real i do find those really great , specially the vox ....
It real depends on what you need , personnaly i like bleusy vintage type of tone , nothing hard or heavy ...
I do think cabinets are impulses ...

yorgos 11th June 2020 01:06 AM

I think the German amp is supposed to be an ENGL emulation.

rdstreets 11th June 2020 02:15 AM

Softube created amps for Reason when Line 6 pulled out. They were/are horrible.

Jeezo 11th June 2020 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdstreets (Post 14793167)

As far i recall it was first for Tc electronic dsp and it was considered exellent at that time , i guess , it's a question of taste ...

onion 11th June 2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdstreets (Post 14793167)

Softube’s also behind the Amp and Cabinet effects in Ableton Live. I use the Reason and Ableton amps quite a bit, but I’m not gonna sing their praises. What I will say is that I’m able to get a wide range of usable sounds out of them, but I don’t feel the vibe when playing through them live. Their responses to my playing feel flat, so they don’t inspire good performances.

For a while, I’d just DI guitar through my API 312 or Great River ME1-NV and slap a good reverb plugin on it for capturing performances. I’m a clean tone guy, and the DIs in my preamps are very good. For bass, I’m very happy sticking with the DI. For guitar, it’s not ideal. It didn’t sound “guitaristic,” but it felt good. It’s also less forgiving of sloppy playing than an amp or sim, which is a blessing and a curse.

Seeking better amp tones, I eventually picked up a Kemper, and I’ve been able to find some profiles that feel good. Now, I still record the DI only, but I monitor through the Kemper to get the vibe. Then, I use the Reason or Live amp sims to dial in a mix sound as well as process with channel strips, modulation, delay, verb, etc.

Why don’t I record the Kemper? I struggle to dial it in. I’m much faster with the plugins. I have a few go-to profiles which are great for getting the track printed, but I otherwise much prefer to work in the box. It would be great if there were amp sim plugs that felt like the Kemper (maybe there are—I haven’t tried any beyond the stock ones) but was physically modeled instead of the more rigid sampling that Kemper does (maybe I’m being unfair—it does one job well for me, but I haven’t really bothered to explore it’s depths and see what other jobs it could do).

Bwogo 11th June 2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilmanoel (Post 14792916)
When I read about cabinets licensed by Marshall I didn't hesitate to try it out! But what a disappointment ... The cabinets do not sound so good, few options for microphones and positions. I think IR's are much better, like Dr. Bonkers, Fractal, Torpedo etc.

The idea is very interesting and in the future it can be sensational, but for the time being it does not present anything that in my view is worth $99. For now it just seems like a platform with few options, a product launched in a hurry or without enough content. Sorry :cop:

Agreed. They just slapped their old "Amp Room" products from 10 years ago into a "new product", added a few Marshall IRs, and they want their quick buck.

Interface looks quickly cobbled together and the whole "modular" look with amps as blocks doesn't work. It's not a synth.

Usually new products from them Swedes excite me, but this time, Softube, indeed :cop:

vicnest 11th June 2020 09:17 AM

What's the upgrade price for owner of older Amps (I didn't buy them)?

Goto10 11th June 2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicnest (Post 14793566)
What's the upgrade price for owner of older Amps (I didn't buy them)?

$29

vicnest 11th June 2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilmanoel (Post 14792916)

The Marshall cabinet is basically identical to IRs in private format.
Not enough new preamp heads.
But I'm not sure if these older preamps are identical code cloning into new suite. (Softube support is extremely slow recently)

sirthought 11th June 2020 11:36 AM

I probably won't buy this one.

I don't think they've upgraded the amps from what's been out for ages.

They added three or four new cabs — which those are IR files BTW to the guy earlier who said he prefers IRs.

They added stomp boxes — fine, but not price-of-admission better with the old amps.

They added the option to chain in their plugin effects — kinda cool, but how much better than just doing it as an insert?

This whole re-design is just a storefront to sell you cab IRs and more plugins. Nothing new as far as the amps. A noble effort, but the amps are sounding long-in-the-tooth compared to other options out there.

I think their separate Marshall Plexi Super Lead sounds good. And the Marshall Bluesbreaker sold through UAD is killer. Amp Room…not a go to option.

I do think it's cool they gave you the two API module options to use.

nonstatic 11th June 2020 12:26 PM

Does anyone know if the upgrade prices are permanent, or if they rise after the intro period?

kindafishy 11th June 2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onion (Post 14793444)
Softube’s also behind the Amp and Cabinet effects in Ableton Live. I use the Reason and Ableton amps quite a bit, but I’m not gonna sing their praises. What I will say is that I’m able to get a wide range of usable sounds out of them, but I don’t feel the vibe when playing through them live. Their responses to my playing feel flat, so they don’t inspire good performances.

For a while, I’d just DI guitar through my API 312 or Great River ME1-NV and slap a good reverb plugin on it for capturing performances. I’m a clean tone guy, and the DIs in my preamps are very good. For bass, I’m very happy sticking with the DI. For guitar, it’s not ideal. It didn’t sound “guitaristic,” but it felt good. It’s also less forgiving of sloppy playing than an amp or sim, which is a blessing and a curse.

Seeking better amp tones, I eventually picked up a Kemper, and I’ve been able to find some profiles that feel good. Now, I still record the DI only, but I monitor through the Kemper to get the vibe. Then, I use the Reason or Live amp sims to dial in a mix sound as well as process with channel strips, modulation, delay, verb, etc.

Why don’t I record the Kemper? I struggle to dial it in. I’m much faster with the plugins. I have a few go-to profiles which are great for getting the track printed, but I otherwise much prefer to work in the box. It would be great if there were amp sim plugs that felt like the Kemper (maybe there are—I haven’t tried any beyond the stock ones) but was physically modeled instead of the more rigid sampling that Kemper does (maybe I’m being unfair—it does one job well for me, but I haven’t really bothered to explore it’s depths and see what other jobs it could do).

Sorry for the OT and no disrespect to Softube, but...

Given that you seek nice clean tones, may I suggest the Nebula 4 DiBiQuadro Virgo library? http://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/virgo

As it says on the product page, it can use the free N4 player plugin.

I have been a 'twin guy' for many, many years and I absolutely love this library (I prefer using the '57' output but both 'mics' are great and you can also go direct out to select your own mic/cabinet using whatever IR loader you like).

It is high latency, so it is suitable out of the box for mixing only. There are 'tweaks' that can be done to create a low latency configuration for playing through it if you wish, but that's beyond a simple introduction here.

Cheers.