Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   ATC SCM100ASL vs 150ASL (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1313694-atc-scm100asl-vs-150asl.html)

Sasha 5th June 2020 02:19 PM

ATC SCM100ASL vs 150ASL

I came across a few posts where ATC 100 are described as not coming to life at low volumes and need to be cranked up, while ATC 150 do not show such behavior.
Is this common perception among those who heard both models?

thethrillfactor 5th June 2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasha (Post 14782829)
I came across a few posts where ATC 100 are described as not coming to life at low volumes and need to be cranked up, while ATC 150 do not show such behavior.

Take whatever read on this forum with a grain of salt and "inquisitive" eye( including what I am writing now).

Without being in the same space and knowing how the speakers interact in that specific room, without knowing if the complete monitoring chain was compromised or not, without knowing if where the person was sitting had SBIR issues or knowing a person specific biases that influences their specific decisions( yeah we all have them) it's impossible to quantify that opinion currently.

My personal "biases" tells me that the 150ASL is the best free standing speaker that ATC makes, but from experience because of the depth of the box, front wall SBIR issues always comes into play unless you soffit mount it or you have a room deep enough to move it far enough away from the front wall. Also its a heavy speaker so moving it around for best locations is not an easy task.

Brad Lunde 5th June 2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

That comment must be about a set up the user encountered that gave him that impression but it is an incorrect statement. There is no 100 vs 150 being different in any way other than max SPL and low frequency roll off. The models are identical except for a 15 inch LF driver and big box vs. a 12 inch LF driver and smaller box. The mid has its own enclosure as does the tweeter so no effect on either by the box size. They also share the same 3 channel amp pack so no amp differences.

Thrill is right, I think the 150 is the best sounding PRO speaker ATC makes.

Brad

Wiggy Neve Slut 5th June 2020 10:16 PM

I don’t believe you Brad.. send me a pair immediately to ensure your statement is correct. I hate fake news as much as the next person.

Wiggy :lol:boing:lol:

pentagon 6th June 2020 05:13 AM

Quote:

All BS.
Room setup is going to matter most of all but the midrange carries so much of all these speakers (which is great! -- closest to creating a single driver system) which is amped the same and the same driver.

Biggest thing is if you can position the speaker in the right position for the room. I have 100ASL (triple) but I considered the 150ASL but couldn't get the boundary conditions right with the cabinet size. The 150ASL are much larger in physical size. The price difference (as a percentage) is negligible at this level. For another space I recommended and had bought 110ASL due to the room dimensions and console position; wouldn't have been able to get the 100ASL dimensions in the right place for that room.