Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   Best temporary solution? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1313374-best-temporary-solution.html)

lonvoc 3rd June 2020 02:19 PM

Best temporary solution?

Hi guys,

I am in need of a temporary solution.

Goal: attenuate vocals enough so neighbours/people walking outside can’t really hear it at very least it sound the same level as a TV set/radio etc.

Due to working at home I want to isolate vocals enough when tracking so that it doesn’t disturb. I am not concerned with acoustic treatment at the moment. This is purely so when recording nobody can hear or can barely hear.

Essentially I need to muffle the noise going out.

What’s the best way to do this? Would a pvc frame with draped blankets be enough to dampen Much like the pvc vocal booths seen online (I understand that mass is required for real isolation. At the moment I’m just looking for a quick ‘fix’.

Many thanks!

Kyle P. Gushue 3rd June 2020 02:42 PM

A pre fab booth like a whisper room is a good solution for this.

Blankets won't work for isolation.

lonvoc 4th June 2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue (Post 14778912)
A pre fab booth like a whisper room is a good solution for this.

Blankets won't work for isolation.

I was hoping not for any great degree of isolation rather just enough to muffle the sound getting out so as not to disturb neighbours. I only wanted to reduce enough to normal levels such as with a tv or radio. But if it’s not going to have any worthwhile effect maybe I’ve got to go down the booth route which I’ve been desperate to avoid.

The reason is that in order to buy a prefab booth of any decent size would be very expensive. Am wondering if I can away with around 7ft x 7ft and then treat afterwards...?

Starlight 4th June 2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonvoc (Post 14778871)
... I want to isolate vocals enough ... so when recording nobody can hear or can barely hear.

Kyle answered your original request.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonvoc (Post 14780931)
I was hoping not for any great degree of isolation rather just enough to muffle the sound getting out ...

That reads like a contradiction: you don't want any great degree of isolation while also wanting to stop the sound getting out. Stopping the sound getting out is isolation. Kyle's answer still applies.

Perhaps you could help by getting someone to measure, in decibels, how much sound there is outside, where you don't want the sound to be barely heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonvoc (Post 14780931)
... 7ft x 7ft ...

And 7ft high? Do your best to avoid dimensions that are the same. The smaller the room the more treatment it will need. By the time you have added at least 8" treatment to each wall you will end up with a 5'8" square room or smaller. Be sure you know what you are letting yourself in for before you start buying or building.

Search the forum for vocal booth and read what others have learned and done.