Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   REVERBS: Exponential R2/R4 vs Relab LX480 Complete - Opinions? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1307572-reverbs-exponential-r2-r4-vs-relab-lx480-complete-opinions.html)

everglass 24th April 2020 05:28 AM

REVERBS: Exponential R2/R4 vs Relab LX480 Complete - Opinions?

Hi folks,

Looking for a great Lexicon style reverb for mixing.

Does anyone have experience with both the Exponential Audio R2 and the Relab LX480 Complete? How do they compare in terms of sitting in a mix and getting great results?

I already own the Valhalla Room and VintageVerb and Lexicon LXP Native along with the standard Pro Tools reverbs.

I'm not a UAD user, otherwise I would also be considering their 480L offering.

Cheers and thanks!

vitocorleone123 24th April 2020 05:34 AM

R4 would be a better comparison.

If you love 480 then Relab.
If you like 480 and want more flexibility then R4.

Those a very broad generalizations. Relab and Exponential reverbs are both first rate.

Idontcare 24th April 2020 06:47 PM

I know they are quite well liked but i couldn't get along with the Exponential Audio reverbs.they just sound tinny and don't sit well.Relab are the only plugin verbs i can think of that are effortless and they "envelope"anything you feed them like outboard reverb units would

vitocorleone123 24th April 2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idontcare (Post 14685292)
I know they are quite well liked but i couldn't get along with the Exponential Audio reverbs.they just sound tinny and don't sit well.Relab are the only plugin verbs i can think of that are effortless and they "envelope"anything you feed them like outboard reverb units would

Yeah, it's very subjective. I had that same experience with 2C Audio reverbs - just disliked them.

I feel about R4 especially like what you mention about Relab.
I also have Relab Sonsig-A kfhkh
(but none of their other reverbs made me willing to lay down the cash as being materially better or more useful to me than the reverbs I have)

Idontcare 24th April 2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 (Post 14685553)
Yeah, it's very subjective. I had that same experience with 2C Audio reverbs - just disliked them.

I feel about R4 especially like what you mention about Relab.
I also have Relab Sonsig-A kfhkh
(but none of their other reverbs made me willing to lay down the cash as being materially better or more useful to me than the reverbs I have)

Aether is kind of like that but it does tend to sit well and has its own kind of envelopment and i adore B2,but the presets are garbage and its a total bitch to tweak

I've tried R4 it didn't give me any sense of depth.i just couldn't get the early reflections to correlate with anything without a load of problem solving and too much processing for my liking.they are apparently really good on strings and in orchestral music,but if i had any of that kind of work (which i don't)i'd use SPAT by IRCAM

I'm set for plugin reverbs anyways between Altiverb,Relab and 2C Audio.i've managed to replace all my outboard verbs apart from the Quadraverb Plus and the Ensoniq DP4 kfhkh

BM Grabber 25th April 2020 11:05 AM

Nobody knows the Lexicon reverbs as Michael Carnes do... He made them kfhkh

So his Exponential stuff is top notch if you like Lexicon... and more!

lionscage_new 14th June 2020 04:51 PM

Hi guys, Is LX480 compatible with OS Catalina? I am able to load the plugin but not any presets.

Wilburguy 14th June 2020 05:56 PM

https://relabdevelopment.com/faq/

lionscage_new 16th June 2020 04:19 PM

but it is impossible to load any presets, they are greyed out.

xcskier 17th June 2020 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 (Post 14683998)
R4 would be a better comparison.

If you love 480 then Relab.
If you like 480 and want more flexibility then R4.

Those a very broad generalizations. Relab and Exponential reverbs are both first rate.

Be interested to know how the NI RC48 compares, as well as UAD.

The NI offering was getting much of the work detail here (along side other non- Lexicon style reverbs), that is until our Altiverb purchase. Most others were dropped, but the RC48 still gets some use.

xcskier 17th June 2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idontcare (Post 14685810)
I'm set for plugin reverbs anyways between Altiverb,Relab and 2C Audio.i've managed to replace all my outboard verbs apart from the Quadraverb Plus and the Ensoniq DP4 kfhkh

Turns out Altiverb has Lexicon IRs, but never really gave that patch a fair deal - doesn't have the attractive LARC remote GUI. An oversight that may need rectification!

Have you compared the Relab and Altiverb L480 ?

Just found this info from the Alitverb site. Gotta hand it to 'em for their transparency, in a sea of marketing hype from others.

"classic unit cannot be captured faithfully using convolution reverb because it is not time invariant: it uses chorussing. The presets that use chorussing heavily will sound different than what you may expect. However 90 % of these samples are pretty much indistinguishable from the original preset. This set offers all reverb presets with original names."

Found another related GS thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...l#post11633214

Altiverb L480 Large Hall preset IR receives an honorable mention.

Sharp11 17th June 2020 04:55 PM

Also, if you’re running a pro tools rig, try Space, I love it. It’s especially good for sound design work with lots of cool impulse responses and resonance verbs.

ardis 5th August 2020 07:05 PM

you can get an upgrade offer R4 for $29- at Plug In Boutique and Excalibur for $10 at Audio Deluxe....

javahut 7th August 2020 11:35 PM

Also see Reverb Foundry's HD-Cart...

https://www.reverbfoundry.com/hd-cart/

audioloud 8th August 2020 01:18 PM

I have just recently tried the two for the first time and AB tested etc:

RelabLX480: OK, nice.
R4: Different universe. 3D amazing "living" and super wide tails. I was wowed...

There is no comparison in MY OPINION

chrischoir 8th August 2020 08:15 PM

They have different uses. It's possible you need both. I personally do not find either of them very realistic but if you want that classic 80s reverb sound you can't go wrong with ether of them. R4 interface is a a little cheezy but that is not really a factor. I will say the R4 decay/tails are a little harsh and 'cheap' sounding compared to relab. In a busy mix it won't matter. If I was doing solo instrument/vocals I would go with relab

audioloud 9th August 2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischoir (Post 14904208)
I will say the R4 decay/tails are a little harsh and 'cheap' sounding compared to relab.

It's funny how perceptions vary.
Perfectly legit you don't like R4. Not disputing your taste.
But "cheap"???!! I hear luxurious and lush...

It is probably one of the best ITB reverbs, I believe at this point, coded by one of the most revered guys in the reverb business.

aremos 9th August 2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioloud (Post 14903608)
I have just recently tried the two for the first time and AB tested etc:

RelabLX480: OK, nice.
R4: Different universe. 3D amazing "living" and super wide tails. I was wowed...

There is no comparison in MY OPINION

Much difference btwn R2 & R4?

claudedefaren 9th August 2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aremos (Post 14905492)
Much difference btwn R2 & R4?

R4 gives you some more early reflection algorithms, a second Hall algorithm, and the ability to add or reduced the reverb volume using the Trim knob. The Trim knob is useful if you use the reverb inline on tracks rather than as a send. R4 has some added pre/post filters. The Warp stuff in R4 and Nimbus are not that special IMO if that's what you're wondering

IMO the only thing that makes R4 really worth it over R2 is the added early reflection algos and the Hall 2 tail, but they don't sound RADICALLY different, so if you have R2 and you're happy you can probably pass on R4.

aremos 9th August 2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claudedefaren (Post 14905562)
R4 gives you some more early reflection algorithms, a second Hall algorithm, and the ability to add or reduced the reverb volume using the Trim knob. The Trim knob is useful if you use the reverb inline on tracks rather than as a send. R4 has some added pre/post filters. The Warp stuff in R4 and Nimbus are not that special IMO if that's what you're wondering

IMO the only thing that makes R4 really worth it over R2 is the added early reflection algos and the Hall 2 tail, but they don't sound RADICALLY different, so if you have R2 and you're happy you can probably pass on R4.

Thanks! I do hv R2 but it's because R4 is @ $29. now till 31 AUG

arnoldorodeo 9th August 2020 08:44 PM

Try LiquidSonics reverbs. You will never look back

vitocorleone123 9th August 2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo (Post 14905669)
Try LiquidSonics reverbs. You will never look back

Definitely worth trying.

Not everyone likes them or thinks they’re worth posting about in a thread that has nothing to do with them, though.

fgimian 10th August 2020 12:26 AM

The NI reverb really isn’t in the league of LX480 ...

I love both LX480 and R4 but my go to has become Sonsig to be honest. You really can’t go wrong with anything by EA or Relab 😊

chrischoir 10th August 2020 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioloud (Post 14905291)
It's funny how perceptions vary.

not really funny just the way it is. Ask 10 people what the best sounding guitar is and 3 will tell you Les Paul, 3 will tell you tele 3. will tell you strat and 1 will tell you rickenbacher. Yet they all sound totally different and we all know the Les Paul is the most "Lush" and has the best "tail"

Quote:

Perfectly legit you don't like R4.

yeah it is very legit

Quote:

Not disputing your taste.

yeah please don't

Quote:

But "cheap"???!! I hear luxurious and lush...

I guess cheap and lush are subjective terms

Quote:

It is probably one of the best ITB reverbs,

right, it is one of the best

Quote:

I believe at this point, coded by one of the most revered guys in the reverb business.

yup it 's who you know.... not what you know in music biz

but let's be real here, reverb algorithms haven't changed in 60 years.

claudedefaren 10th August 2020 01:07 AM

Yo, I really don't think he meant that post as an attack my man.

Jeffguitar 10th August 2020 01:51 AM

Algo reverbs just don't cut it for me. I have Nimbus and Lx480 and only use them while tracking so that I can keep CPU low for using vst Instruments. Once any use of instruments is done, ez drummer, keys and such and I am ready to mix, I can then crank up my latency buffers to 2048 or even higher and OFF go the algo verbs and in comes the really good stuff. The new convolution type stuff, Nebula, IK Sunset, Waves Chambers, Waves FIR verb with H verb, that stuff just sounds so much more thick, rich, none of that tinny algo stuff.

I have been playing with H verb just today and man oh man, great presets and awesome shaping, the sound, just like Nebula verbs and Sunset Ik, they are the closest I have heard to hardware units. The difference is easy to hear, those 4 verbs and Abbey road plates too are all using some serious CPU and using more than just straight ir's but go deeper in processing. I think the Waves Manny M verbs are also using the same as H reverb because it too sounds as good in quality and is also hitting the CPU hard.

So stuff like Nimbus and LX480 are fine for a stand in until you are done tracking but the big boys come out when you can crank that buffer way up and just mix.

arnoldorodeo 10th August 2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 (Post 14905875)
Definitely worth trying.

Not everyone likes them or thinks they’re worth posting about in a thread that has nothing to do with them, though.

In my quest of the best reverbs in the box I bought plenty of plugins that brings me to the conclusion that LiquidSonics are for the moment the best reverbs I've ever used. That being said, all this is so subjective and vary from one person to another. I own R2 & R4 as well as PhoenixVerb: great reverbs indeed. LX480 sounds nothing like the original ! (I used to own the hardware Lexicon 480).
The last Liquidsonic Cinematic Room covers a variety of settings that can easily mimic lots of hardware algos.try it by yourself.

muziksculp 10th August 2020 06:17 PM

I use R2 quite a bit, I also have PheoenixVerb, so I'm considering the R4 Upgrade deal from Plugin Boutique at $29.

Has anyone upgraded from R2 to R4 here, your thoughts about R4 ?

Thanks

claudedefaren 10th August 2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 14907124)
I use R2 quite a bit, I also have PheoenixVerb, so I'm considering the R4 Upgrade deal from Plugin Boutique at $29.

Has anyone upgraded from R2 to R4 here, your thoughts about R4 ?

Thanks

I shared my thoughts above, but also should say that I demoed R2 and didn't love it enough to purchase, and when they had the R4 upgrade deal I demoed R4 and bought it soon after. However I don't think the difference between the two is really that big, it was just that R4 had just enough to seal the deal for me.

I think it sounds better than equivalent modes in VVV.

Really importantly, I use it on a return channel so that I can add a chorus before it, because the built in modulation just doesn't do it for me. With an external chorus before, it's sublime. That's true of both R2 and R4.

muziksculp 10th August 2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claudedefaren (Post 14907138)
I shared my thoughts above, but also should say that I demoed R2 and didn't love it enough to purchase, and when they had the R4 upgrade deal I demoed R4 and bought it soon after. However I don't think the difference between the two is really that big, it was just that R4 had just enough to seal the deal for me.

I think it sounds better than equivalent modes in VVV.

Really importantly, I use it on a return channel so that I can add a chorus before it, because the built in modulation just doesn't do it for me. With an external chorus before, it's sublime. That's true of both R2 and R4.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will just get R4, I think if it has the R2 vibe, but offers more options, control, ..etc. I will surely like it a lot, and at $29. it's a win win offer. :)