Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   For those we have lost. Memorials, RIPs and Obituaries (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/for-those-we-have-lost-memorials-rips-and-obituaries/)
-   -   RIP McCoy Tyner (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/for-those-we-have-lost-memorials-rips-and-obituaries/1301211-rip-mccoy-tyner.html)

mikeka 6th March 2020 09:04 PM

RIP McCoy Tyner

Another great gone.

Melgueil 7th March 2020 02:40 PM

For sure, for sure.

If I have to name (5) musicians that influenced me, my playing, how I listen - McCoy would be one. I do remember in the early 80's seeing him play in a small club and feeling I was in the presence of someone special. Coltrane's piano player from the "Classic Quartet".
With the Coltrane quartet, he carved a pathing the musical woods where there was nothing like that before. So many "modern" jazz pianists will continue to be in his debt.

RIP, indeed we lost another great one.
Cdlt

Progger 7th March 2020 05:23 PM

The first time a recording of a pianist ever really blew my mind open was when I listened to "My Favorite Things" in my buddy's car on a lunch break in high school. I didn't know it was possible to play piano like that while improvising. My trajectory as a jazz nerd was decided then and there. I got to see McCoy perform live three times over the next ten years or so and it was always supremely inspiring.

Eternal love and gratitude, Mr. Tyner.

swafford 9th March 2020 02:08 PM

Loved McCoy Tyner, have a bunch of his 1970s era LPs and had the fortune to see him as the band leader a couple times when I was in high school, most memorably at the Village Vanguard ca. 1975 or so.

Red Baron 25th March 2020 08:40 PM

A very influential jazz pianist leaving his art to the world, to our minds and souls.

Thanks a lot.

RIP

McCoy Tyner

NY___ 6th April 2020 11:25 AM

May the drums in heaven shout down on us loud as a new thunder with your rhythm and syncopation to warn us of other threats. Always the be best!

12ax7 11th April 2020 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back in the late '80s, I got to mix a show for him in an "Opera House" (that was built in 1855).

It was one of the best-sounding shows I ever did.

(Mostly NOT because of me.)

deedeeyeah 11th April 2020 09:15 PM

i was lucky enough to mix him and his band on two tours in europe in the 80's (or maybe 90's?): besides getting to experience incredible musicianship, i owe him two of my most memorable moments on tour:

on one occasion while on tour in poland, the (spare) power supply of the desk went down just before sound check started and it was clear that there wouldn't be any replacement by the time the concert was scheduled
he was asking about what we techs would suggest and immediately agreed on our proposal to use the monitor desk at foh and to cut down on monitor sends (for obvious reasons) - his comment was something along the lines 'make sure the boys can hear themselves' (on the solo mic) and said he wouldn't need any wedge. in addition, he thanked us for telling him upfront that there was a technical problem! - a nuclear physicist living in town fixed the psu for the desk btw...

on another occasion in switzerland, a promotor dared to provide a defective honkytonk upright piano! what the promotor didn't get was that we organized a decent steinway, made sure that the mestro was sitting close to the swimming pool (the concert was outdoors, in a park of a prestigious hotel)...
...and we threw the upright into the pool after the first song and rolled in the grand piano! except for the promotor, everyone thought this was the most fun ever experienced on an outdoor show :-)

a giant!