Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Is there a MIDI sequencer like this? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1300437-there-midi-sequencer-like.html)

Somebodyperson 29th February 2020 12:40 AM

Is there a MIDI sequencer like this?

I was wondering if a hardware MIDI sequencer like this exists, one that I could use with basically any synth that has a MIDI port.

Oscar1 29th February 2020 01:19 AM

Yamaha Tenori-on was the original hardware that these ipad apps mimic. Big novelty and very quickly discontinued... they even tried to do a cheaper version TNR-O when the first magnesium $1k TNR-W flopped and that new flopped as well, so they got the message that very few people actually want this. But boy they tried to push it hard. But these days $5 ipad app does a better job so that's the story.

ambiguous signal 29th February 2020 02:03 AM

There are all sorts of generative and non-linear sequencing machines in eurorack format. Put some in a skiff with a CV-MIDI module and you can have a unique system. Experiment in VCV rack first to get an idea of what you want.

Somebodyperson 29th February 2020 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambiguous signal (Post 14561310)
There are all sorts of generative and non-linear sequencing machines in eurorack format. Put some in a skiff with a CV-MIDI module and you can have a unique system. Experiment in VCV rack first to get an idea of what you want.

Eurorack is out of my budget, else I would have dived in long ago.

Somebodyperson 29th February 2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar1 (Post 14561252)
Yamaha Tenori-on was the original hardware that these ipad apps mimic. Big novelty and very quickly discontinued... they even tried to do a cheaper version TNR-O when the first magnesium $1k TNR-W flopped and that new flopped as well, so they got the message that very few people actually want this. But boy they tried to push it hard. But these days $5 ipad app does a better job so that's the story.

Thanks a million! I will be buying one....that is, if that is MIDI out it has.

Oscar1 1st March 2020 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebodyperson (Post 14561713)
Thanks a million! I will be buying one....that is, if that is MIDI out it has.

Honestly for the money I would not bother, unless you particularly like the LED effect for live performance. That would be the only thing... it is one of those things that can definitely work better on ipad than on hw.. but if you like it, it was well made - esp. the tnr-w - magnesium and leds on both sides so live audience see what you do. It was a 'future of music" in 2005-6, just before ipads took off and hijack the niche market of weird instruments with $5 buck apps.. well some now cost $20, coz they wised up.

Anyway check for yourself: https://de.yamaha.com/files/download...o_en_qg_a0.pdf

I am sucker for weird things, but passed on tenori-on. In 2006 I was this close (shows very small gap between his fingers) of buiyng one though. I even have some memories that I may bought one but the transaction didn't go through or something like that. Then soon enough ipad happened and I forgot about the whole thing. Still kudos to yamaha for doing the unusual, just bad timing...

Somebodyperson 1st March 2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar1 (Post 14563173)
Honestly for the money I would not bother, unless you particularly like the LED effect for live performance. That would be the only thing... it is one of those things that can definitely work better on ipad than on hw.. but if you like it, it was well made - esp. the tnr-w - magnesium and leds on both sides so live audience see what you do. It was a 'future of music" in 2005-6, just before ipads took off and hijack the niche market of weird instruments with $5 buck apps.. well some now cost $20, coz they wised up.

Anyway check for yourself: https://de.yamaha.com/files/download...o_en_qg_a0.pdf

I am sucker for weird things, but passed on tenori-on. In 2006 I was this close (shows very small gap between his fingers) of buiyng one though. I even have some memories that I may bought one but the transaction didn't go through or something like that. Then soon enough ipad happened and I forgot about the whole thing. Still kudos to yamaha for doing the unusual, just bad timing...

What can I say, I am a hardware junkie. I prefer the orange lights of the cheaper one....but the build quality and battery power of the original one. I will probably end up getting the cheaper one and if I ever wanna take it on the go, tape a battery back to it.

tricera 1st March 2020 11:24 AM

Shame this didn't have MIDI ....

.... and it looks like it's been discontinued.

Oscar1 2nd March 2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebodyperson (Post 14563465)
What can I say, I am a hardware junkie. I prefer the orange lights of the cheaper one....but the build quality and battery power of the original one. I will probably end up getting the cheaper one and if I ever wanna take it on the go, tape a battery back to it.

Well, if you get one, definitely post some stuff. Despite nobody wants them, they still sell for quite a lot... I honestly had not seen one in real life - ever.

zerocrossing 2nd March 2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar1 (Post 14563173)

My wife bought me one, so it’ll always have a spot in my studio, but you’re right. I think there’s even a Tenori-On iPad app, if memory serves.

That said, it’s a cool device and it looks great. If you can find one cheap, I’d pick one up for it’s novel aspects. If there’s one thing my daughter goes for in my studio, it’s the Tenori-on. She loves messing with it.

SawneyBean 2nd March 2020 05:31 PM

Synthstrom Deluge...