Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   VIDEO: Every Sound from Crockett’s Theme (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1299691-video-every-sound-crockett-s-theme.html)

Dadrian 22nd February 2020 04:34 AM

VIDEO: Every Sound from Crockett’s Theme

I’m very happy to finally post this video. Please post your comments or questions on YouTube:

cixelsyd 22nd February 2020 05:34 AM

Nice effort. I was inspired just from watching it.

Rezisehtnys 22nd February 2020 06:07 AM

Thanks for reminding me why I recently decided to stop chasing sounds of the past, but at least you sounded great doing it.

jbuonacc 22nd February 2020 03:08 PM

guitar players get The Beatles, Clapton, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, etc... synth players get 'Crockett's Theme' and 'Axel F'. gooof

cool video.

kpatz 22nd February 2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbuonacc (Post 14547942)
guitar players get The Beatles, Clapton, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, etc... synth players get 'Crockett's Theme' and 'Axel F'. gooof

cool video.

Jump, Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, Final Countdown...

jbuonacc 22nd February 2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpatz (Post 14547978)

yeah, i know. :facepalm:

:heh:

bax 22nd February 2020 03:43 PM

Vinyl - Check!
Lotsa great synths, analog + digital + softsynths - Check!
Appropriate usage of a Keytar - BONUS Check!

Classic 80's synth sounds at their finest. You're doing it right, sir...awesome! Thanks for sharing this! kfhkh

Thanks!
bax

flat 22nd February 2020 03:43 PM

Excellent. Really enjoyed that kfhkh

Never realised the Memorymoog was involved in the pad sound. Always thought it was all JP8 + Fairlight.

bax 22nd February 2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpatz (Post 14547978)

Can we at least throw in "Separate Ways" there too? gooof

SWAN808 22nd February 2020 07:22 PM

great stuff...particularly impressed with the last guitar work! I thought it was a real guitarist needed for that...kfhkh

jsprsplc 22nd February 2020 11:21 PM

Excellent video!

Dadrian 25th February 2020 04:51 AM

Holy crap, guys. I’m just now checking in on this post, and I’m very grateful for all your kind replies. I was braced for a bit of a s&!tstorm with all the speculation regarding this classic record.

It really is my favorite synth track ever. I’ve collected pieces of info about it from Jan Hammer over the years, and even gotten some tips from the man himself (through his management).

Thanks to every one of you for watching it, and at the very least: I hope you had a smile and some entertainment. kfhkh:synth:

ps - I even got YouTube comments from two of my YouTube heroes! Alex Ball and Synthmania (Paolo)

3rdpath 25th February 2020 06:03 AM

Wow, well done! I really enjoyed this. And love the firelight on the CRT monitor, that ups the retro game up considerably!

Dadrian 25th February 2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdpath (Post 14552945)
Wow, well done! I really enjoyed this. And love the firelight on the CRT monitor, that ups the retro game up considerably!

Thanks very much. That’s totally what I was going for with the white CRT monitor. I already had the white Arturia controller for the CMI V. Bam: a $150 Fairlight. :heh:

Mutantt 25th February 2020 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found a syx with that "nylon db" patch.
Just rename the extension to syx.

Mach1na 25th February 2020 03:09 PM

Always wondered what the "distorted guitar" patch was. Knew it was something synthetic, but didn't guess a DX7 + effects. kfhkh

Dadrian 25th February 2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutantt (Post 14553516)
Found a syx with that "nylon db" patch.
Just rename the extension to syx.

Awesome! Enjoy!

There are a lot of folk on the internet that think it’s one of the ROM harps or kotos. They are very similar, but the “nylon db” is the closest thing I’ve came across to the original, and was one of the main reasons I decided to make the video.

Dadrian 25th February 2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1na (Post 14553534)
Always wondered what the "distorted guitar" patch was. Knew it was something synthetic, but didn't guess a DX7 + effects. kfhkh

Honestly, it could have been Memorymoog. I’m not really sure. I used the DX/KX because I wanted to use a keytar for the video. My Memorymoog+ has midi, but is not keytar-friendly. Almost anything with a similar ADSR setting sounds virtually the same thru the MXR and Rockman, though.

Mutantt 25th February 2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadrian (Post 14553541)
Awesome! Enjoy!

There are a lot of folk on the internet that think it’s one of the ROM harps or kotos. They are very similar, but the “nylon db” is the closest thing I’ve came across to the original, and was one of the main reasons I decided to make the video.

Thank you very much. :)
I thought it was the harp+some kind of processing too - it was a dead end i was stuck in for a long time until you came here. :)

Dadrian 25th February 2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutantt (Post 14553583)
Thank you very much. :)
I thought it was the harp+some kind of processing too - it was a dead end i was stuck in for a long time until you came here. :)

Great! You’re welcome!

Sapro 25th February 2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbuonacc (Post 14547942)

cool video.

Yep the two tunes of my youth that got me into synths.

bitleyTM 25th February 2020 05:56 PM

You couldn't find a cheaper track to dig? abduction peachh Well done :)

Dadrian 25th February 2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapro (Post 14553754)
Yep the two tunes of my youth that got me into synths.

Same!

Dadrian 25th February 2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitleyTM (Post 14553820)
You couldn't find a cheaper track to dig? abduction peachh Well done :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks!

Mutantt 25th February 2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadrian (Post 14553636)
Great! You’re welcome!

:)

BTW In the Rhythm Guitar sound, i see that the Fairlight sample is GTRHI4, but what is the DX-7 preset ? Not the same as in the main lead ?
A bit hard to decipher the screen at 480p. :)

Dadrian 25th February 2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutantt (Post 14553960)
:)

BTW In the Rhythm Guitar sound, i see that the Fairlight sample is GTRHI4, but what is the DX-7 preset ? Not the same as in the main lead ?
A bit hard to decipher the screen at 480p. :)

It says “The Talk”. I renamed the patch to that eponymous Jan Hammer song from Miami Vice. It was originally from one of the factory ROMs, though. Maybe 4? It’s called nylon or Spanish guitar or something. You can’t miss it.

Dadrian 25th February 2020 07:14 PM

If anyone here ever needs help with ANY Jan Hammer sound from Miami Vice, feel free to ask. Sadly, I’ve been messing around with this stuff (aside from my main musical endeavors) as a hobby since the 1990s.

Mutantt 25th February 2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadrian (Post 14553984)
It’s called nylon or Spanish guitar or something.

Thanks again. kfhkh

Dadrian 25th February 2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutantt (Post 14554096)
Thanks again. kfhkh

You’re welcome!

dr_Jezz 25th February 2020 08:50 PM

I remember attempting this same cover as a kid with just a Yamaha CS60, a Casio CZ3000 and a Fostex X15 ... with the cheapest pair of walkman headphones you've ever seen abduction Clearly it took a little bit more gear, time ... and ... much more talent! cooge. Well done you kfhkh