Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Many Guitars, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/)
-   -   time to learn harmonic sequence of c (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/1299506-time-learn-harmonic-sequence-c.html)

soundspace73 20th February 2020 07:05 PM

time to learn harmonic sequence of c

Hello guys!
I would like to know how long it took you to learn the harmonic sequence of C's from the moment you started practicing chords.

by learned we mean having achieved an excellent ability to perform

John Eppstein 20th February 2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundspace73 (Post 14544564)
Hello guys!
I would like to know how long it took you to learn the harmonic sequence of C's from the moment you started practicing chords.

by learned we mean having achieved an excellent ability to perform

What exactly are you referring to as "the harmonic sequence"?

soundspace73 20th February 2020 08:01 PM

the sequence of chords of DO Maj, LAm, Rem, Sol7

John Eppstein 20th February 2020 08:11 PM

Most guitarists learn the harmonic relationships by fingering patterns which allows instant transposing between keys based on starting position on the fingerboard.

Unlike, for example, the piano, the fingering patterns and relationships are the same for all keys except in open position.

Also, most guitarists think in terms of chord numbers, not the more confusing solfaggio.

I,ii, iii, IV, V,vi,vii dim,I. (vii dim is often notated as vii- or vii with a superscript zero.) Also the seven chord is often played as a major flatted seven chord in rock and much other popular music. (Bb in the key of C.)

norfolk martin 20th February 2020 09:39 PM

As John notes , most guitarists remember the pattern of the intervals rather than the individual notes, as this allows for much easier mental transposition
I always found this chart of extension intervals which is for C major, very useful.
https://i.stack.imgur.com/tTxRr.png

The intervals will be the same for any other major key, only the roots will change to fit the scale of the key you're in. Obviously its not possible to play a full 13th chord on guitar, because it has 7 notes, and its hard to play an 11th with all the notes present . Just pick which intervals you want to leave out

soundspace73 20th February 2020 10:05 PM

sorry if maybe I didn't express myself correctly.

I don't speak English very well and maybe I did something wrong.

my intent is to understand by sheer curiosity how long an average guitarist at the beginning takes to play this sequence of chords very well at a minimum speed of 100 bpm.

I wasn't referring to the theoretical aspect.

Clash 20th February 2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundspace73 (Post 14544927)

my intent is to understand by sheer curiosity how long an average guitarist at the beginning takes to play this sequence of chords very well at a minimum speed of 100 bpm.

In that case, the answer is "medium" - with above average guitarists taking less time and below average taking more.

numero6 20th February 2020 10:50 PM

Personally I have always called that learning modes and their corresponding chords: Ionian (I), Dorian (II). Phrygian (III)...
It is incredibly useful obviously. I'd still play like a beginner had I never learnt that. It was years ago and it took me a couple of month to assimilate.
My goal at the time was to improvise jazz, then I realize that improvizing in jazz would take a lot more than learning modes. It took me years to be decent at jazz playing.

Someone, once taught me the Nasville hand sign system. It is super useful when you play a tune with someone who had never played it before and they want to show you the upcoming chords or the chord sequence without speaking and using one hand. In addition to the obvious I, II, III...hand signs, one finger downward is VI and two fingers downward is VII. Then you get your 7 relative chords. For exemple, someone can sign I VI II V and you immediately can follow the tune.

John Eppstein 21st February 2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundspace73 (Post 14544927)

I'd say that (assuming an instrument in good, playable condition) it all depends on their natural ability and how much they practice.

Other than that I can't really say.