Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/)
-   -   Uploading to Spotify: 16 Bit vs. 24 Bit - Listen Here! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/1297293-uploading-spotify-16-bit-vs-24-bit-listen-here.html)

burns46824 4th February 2020 07:05 PM

Uploading to Spotify: 16 Bit vs. 24 Bit - Listen Here!

So here's an album I uploaded twice to Spotify. It's called PENGE. The original master (from 2019) is 16/44.1. The "Remaster" is the same master, but 24/44.1.

See which you prefer.

Artist: Tyler Burns
Album: PENGE

https://open.spotify.com/artist/36up...Qwe_B0Xz9Rh-lw

URI:
spotify:artist:36up1nUV5vrgSaTvS5kytA

Petesie2 5th February 2020 04:57 AM

The 24-bit one sounds better. Also I dig your tunes. kfhkh

Confused about one thing, though: How did you upload direct to Spotify? Is that an invite-only deal?

My stuff gets sent over via CD Baby, so I have no idea what they're dithering down from.

burns46824 5th February 2020 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petesie2 (Post 14512203)
The 24-bit one sounds better. Also I dig your tunes. kfhkh

Confused about one thing, though: How did you upload direct to Spotify? Is that an invite-only deal?

My stuff gets sent over via CD Baby, so I have no idea what they're dithering down from.

Thanks for your reply. What did you like better about the 24 bit version out of curiosity?

I upload through Horus Music. Good company.

Petesie2 5th February 2020 09:30 AM

Cool, I'm going to check them out.

I forgot to mention that I listen to Spotify with normalization off and "very high" setting (320kbps). If anyone is listening with the standard settings, the differences might be less or unnoticeable. That said, the 24b version is streaming with a higher res sound in every way: a bit louder, more dynamic, smoother, and more depth. These are trope terms, sure, but there is just a general "this one sounds better" thing happening that is most likely attributable to me hearing it with slightly less of Spotify's auto-filtering. My guess is that for most people it won't make a difference, but for a small group there's a clear difference when A/B'ing. If anyone has the option to upload 24-bit, just do it and you're good. If you're not sure whether to replace tracks that have already gotten playlisted a bunch and you don't want to start from scratch, don't worry about it. BTW, I would've dug your tunes in either form, just dig the 24b one more in comparison.

burns46824 6th February 2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petesie2 (Post 14512466)
Cool, I'm going to check them out.

I forgot to mention that I listen to Spotify with normalization off and "very high" setting (320kbps). If anyone is listening with the standard settings, the differences might be less or unnoticeable. That said, the 24b version is streaming with a higher res sound in every way: a bit louder, more dynamic, smoother, and more depth. These are trope terms, sure, but there is just a general "this one sounds better" thing happening that is most likely attributable to me hearing it with slightly less of Spotify's auto-filtering. My guess is that for most people it won't make a difference, but for a small group there's a clear difference when A/B'ing. If anyone has the option to upload 24-bit, just do it and you're good. If you're not sure whether to replace tracks that have already gotten playlisted a bunch and you don't want to start from scratch, don't worry about it. BTW, I would've dug your tunes in either form, just dig the 24b one more in comparison.

Very good to know. Looks like the "very high" feature is only on Spotify Premium. I actually don't like Spotify, lol, so I haven't paid for the service. I think it sounds incredibly mediocre, but perhaps that's because I'm not using the "very high" feature...

Thank you for checking using this feature. I think 24 bit still sounds better even on normal settings.