Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Tannoy Gold 5 - wow, what a steal! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/1295515-tannoy-gold-5-wow-what-steal.html)

AndreiPiatra 21st January 2020 03:23 PM

Tannoy Gold 5 - wow, what a steal!

Was searching for a pair of nearfields like the JBL 305s, but sadly they had to sit fairly close to the wall and being rear-ported was a turnoff, so stumbled against this Tannoys that were front-ported and looked good on paper, ordered a pair and happy that I did.

Wow, what a steal! Didn't expect to something this good, trully monitor sound for $400! You get excellent 3d image, clarity, very good instrument separation, great depth, a nice, balanced tone, not crispy (think KRK), not velvety(think Genelec), just right and a really wide sweet-spot (so helpful). Compared to my active ATC 20s they're not very far behind, and remember that the ATC 20 are among the best nearfields money can buy. Of course, they're not as tight in the bass region (they don't go as low either, as expected), the highs are not as clear and refined, overall instrument separation is not as good, but quite close, and they distort a tinny bit(not a deal breaker, you can mix for hours on this with minimal ear fatigue), but however this is a terribly unfair comparison, the 20s cost about 16x more than this.

Compared to everything else I've heard under $600 there's no question, the Gold 5s sit on top. They're fun to listen and mix to. They don't scream at you like my beloved ATCs(fix this NOW, fix that NOW...), but they let you know of everything that's not right and need to be addressed. Also, should mention that the built quality is very good, even if plasticky, so well done Tannoy, you deserve a gold medal for this speakers...or 5 gold medals, why not! :lol: :chug:

nightchef 21st January 2020 07:36 PM

The specs show a pretty high lower limit to the frequency response, even for a 5-inch (70 Hz). Are you using them with a sub?

AndreiPiatra 21st January 2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightchef (Post 14478138)
The specs show a pretty high lower limit to the frequency response, even for a 5-inch (70 Hz). Are you using them with a sub?

They go low, they really do, I'm not interested in adding a sub as I check the mix on the ATC 20s and I'm in a small room. I think it's -2 or -3db at 70Hz. It's very good. I can hear down to about 45Hz on this speakers, they're punchy, absolutely great. It's a somewhat similar design to my 20s, that are linear down to 60Hz, and then followed by a gentle curve down to around 40-42Hz. This are really well designed, amazing that they cost so little, imo. Yes, to get it perfect a sub is needed for anything under 52Hz or so, but since I check the final mix on the 20s I don't care much. However, I'm sure that if you invest enough time on this, you should get the lower frequencies right above 46-47Hz. It seems feasible, I might do it, need to learn the speakers a bit for now, first impression is really, really good, I expected way less for what I paid.

AndreiPiatra 23rd January 2020 04:00 PM

I A/B the Golds against the ATC 20 today in a longer session. First impression stays. Superb, you have to pay top dollar to get an upgrade from this. I think I'd prefer the Golds against something like Genelec 8030. In my opinion you get more monitor with the Tannoys. You need to pay at least $1500 for a noticeable upgrade. Fantastic, really amazed. The only thing that I'm not happy with so far is a somewhat metallic/distorted sound at about 12000Hz in the highs, but this could be either to my room or because they might need a break-in period, will further investigate it. Anyways...this are professional studio monitors, any artist or engineer should be able to pull out solid work from this. Ok, the microscopic detail I hear on ATC 20s are not obvious on the Gold 5s, but that's fine, you can pull out 95% of a commercial grade mix without any problems, and considering you're doing this on so little money it's incredible. For the other 5% you need a pair of good headphones to check out what's going on under 48Hz and fix the micro details. Also, the larger Golds could fit the bill just fine, but can't advise since I haven't heard those.

,Andrei

Dr.Coy 24th January 2020 03:42 PM

Hey guys,

thanks for the impressions of the Tannoy Gold 5s. I was wondering. Im looking for a Grottbox (NS10, Mixcube etc). Im running HEDD 20s as my main monitors (3ways) and am looking for a 2way to switch to during mixing sessions. Thing is from your description these Tannoys appear to be too good for my purpose :lol: Im really looking for a "If my mix sounds good on these (rubbish speakers) it will sound good on any system" type of speaker. Would the Tannoys work for this purpose or are they too clear / good?

Any thoughts on this? Cheers

AndreiPiatra 24th January 2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Coy (Post 14485999)
Hey guys,

thanks for the impressions of the Tannoy Gold 5s. I was wondering. Im looking for a Grottbox (NS10, Mixcube etc). Im running HEDD 20s as my main monitors (3ways) and am looking for a 2way to switch to during mixing sessions. Thing is from your description these Tannoys appear to be too good for my purpose :lol: Im really looking for a "If my mix sounds good on these (rubbish speakers) it will sound good on any system" type of speaker. Would the Tannoys work for this purpose or are they too clear / good?

Any thoughts on this? Cheers

Neah, I wouldn't recommend the Golds for something that should emulate consumer speakers, I would rather look at Yamaha HS5... small, crappy-dry sound, mid-forward, perfect for this kinda task, and you can mix pretty well too if you're too lazy to switch back at any given time. The Avantones are also suitable, but overpriced. And the NS10s...overrated and too large, why bother!?

Dr.Coy 24th January 2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra (Post 14486467)
Neah, I wouldn't recommend the Golds for something that should emulate consumer speakers, I would rather look at Yamaha HS5... small, crappy-dry sound, mid-forward, perfect for this kinda task, and you can mix pretty well too if you're too lazy to switch back at any given time. The Avantones are also suitable, but overpriced. And the NS10s...overrated and too large, why bother!?

Thanks man! This is exactly what I needed to hear and what I read between the lines from your description before.
Yes! Avatones are way too expensive for what they are. NS10s too when considering the amp and as you say too large. HS5s I'll look into. Thanks again!

mattiasnyc 25th January 2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Coy (Post 14485999)
Im looking for a Grottbox (NS10, Mixcube etc). Im running HEDD 20s as my main monitors (3ways) and am looking for a 2way to switch to during mixing sessions. Thing is from your description these Tannoys appear to be too good for my purpose :lol: Im really looking for a "If my mix sounds good on these (rubbish speakers) it will sound good on any system" type of speaker.

The NS10 aren't really in that category though, and it's debatable whether speakers like Auratones are either. They're actually quite good speakers for what they are and far from "rubbish".

Just throwing that out there because it's a bit of a different principle at play I would say. If you want to check mixes on more systems then NS10s are fine and so are Auratones even though they're different from each other. I think the worse, or the more 'rubbish' the speakers are, the less they actually tell you and the more of them you'll need to cover your bases.

Sypowicz 26th January 2020 01:59 PM

Interesting ,im on the lookout for an upgrade from the eve sc205 . Bored of the AMT tweeters as i also had adams before . Was eyeing the gen 8030 or 8330 ,but this intrigues me.

But i also think its a bit of a psychological consumerist thing ,nevermind the sound i would get from these or how happy i would be it wouldnt feel like an upgrade .
Just because big money wasnt spent ,and the itch wouldnt go away ,does it ever tho :)

AndreiPiatra 26th January 2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sypowicz (Post 14490229)
Interesting ,im on the lookout for an upgrade from the eve sc205 . Bored of the AMT tweeters as i also had adams before . Was eyeing the gen 8030 or 8330 ,but this intrigues me.

But i also think its a bit of a psychological consumerist thing ,nevermind the sound i would get from these or how happy i would be it wouldnt feel like an upgrade .
Just because big money wasnt spent ,and the itch wouldnt go away ,does it ever tho :)

The small size of the 8030 is the only reason why I'd pick the Genelecs over the Golds. Here in Europe this (the entire Gold series) are fire right now, I see shops out of stock everywhere, but I'm not surprised. Definitely a winner for Tannoy, so far. Hopefully the good impression stays and they'll behave well.

Saturate 27th January 2020 09:33 AM

You got me curious. A few weeks ago I bought the kh80s. I'm really happy with them. However, the tannoys do seem nice and they are cheap as well. Would love to hear them, especially now that there are positive reviews up.

AndreiPiatra 27th January 2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturate (Post 14491948)
You got me curious. A few weeks ago I bought the kh80s. I'm really happy with them. However, the tannoys do seem nice and they are cheap as well. Would love to hear them, especially now that there are positive reviews up.

If you're happy, that's all it matters. This are tools, and if tools do what they're supposed to do it's great.

Yeah, the Golds look pretty solid, I guess Tannoy felt the need of a come back after so many years where they were happy to make a living out of the brand they once were, and people kinda forgot about them. I mean...they were there, but not really, newer brands with cheap engineered and manufactured products were far more interesting for the public than what Tannoy had to offer, so they had to do something and break the ice, and they did with this series. They are probably not looking to make a great profit out of the Golds, but out of future products due to its increased visibility...something similar of what happened with the Bugatti Veyron where Bugatti simply looked for increased visibility, even though they were making 0 profit from the sales of the Veyron model. After collecting enough word-of-mouth they knew they could start charging top $$$. I see a similar strategy with Tannoy - Gold series.

Saturate 27th January 2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra (Post 14492296)
If you're happy, that's all it matters. This are tools, and if tools do what they're supposed to do it's great.

Yeah, the Golds look pretty solid, I guess Tannoy felt the need of a come back after so many years where they were happy to make a living out of the brand they once were, and people kinda forgot about them. I mean...they were there, but not really, newer brands with cheap engineered and manufactured products were far more interesting for the public than what Tannoy had to offer, so they had to do something and break the ice, and they did with this series. They are probably not looking to make a great profit out of the Golds, but out of future products due to its increased visibility...something similar of what happened with the Bugatti Veyron where Bugatti simply looked for increased visibility, even though they were making 0 profit from the sales of the Veyron model.

Yep. Though I'm pretty sure they are quite profitable as it's Behringer group that owns Tannoy brand nowadays. They keep their manufacturing costs very low.

AndreiPiatra 27th January 2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturate (Post 14492303)
Yep. Though I'm pretty sure they are quite profitable as it's Behringer group that owns Tannoy brand nowadays. They keep their manufacturing costs very low.

Mmmm...it's debatable, but I'd be speculating to make an assumption. However, keep in mind that Jaguar it's owned by an Indian company, and they kept their identity pretty well. Same with Volvo, owned by a Chinese company, and Volvo is pretty solid as it always was, even though Chinese cars are a joke. So, perhaps Behringer is intelligent enough to let a company like Tannoy have its natural course. I mean what would be the point to buy Tannoy if you want to sell a Behringer? You already have Behringer for Behringer products. But again, I'm speculating, I have no idea what's going on at this level.

Saturate 27th January 2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra (Post 14492411)
Mmmm...it's debatable, but I'd be speculating to make an assumption. However, keep in mind that Jaguar it's owned by an Indian company, and they kept their identity pretty well. Same with Volvo, owned by a Chinese company, and Volvo is pretty solid as it always was, even though Chinese cars are a joke. So, perhaps Behringer is intelligent enough to let a company like Tannoy have its natural course. I mean what would be the point to buy Tannoy if you want to sell a Behringer? You already have Behringer for Behringer products. But again, I'm speculating, I have no idea what's going on at this level.

Me neither and that definitely doesn't mean the product can't be good. I wonder if it will be better than JBL 305s. Those are still the best I've heard in that price range.

AndreiPiatra 27th January 2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturate (Post 14492423)
Me neither and that definitely doesn't mean the product can't be good. I wonder if it will be better than JBL 305s. Those are still the best I've heard in that price range.

As I said in the 1st comment the 305s were my first option, but being rear-ported through me off because my space is limited and they had to sit fairly close to the wall. The JBL community advised me that chances are it won't bother me, but I didn't want to gamble as sending back would had cost me almost the price difference between the 5s and the 305s, so I decided for the Golds. I never heard the JBLs, I'd be very curious to compare them, but as you, I'm happy with what I already got so all good.

Saturate 27th January 2020 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra (Post 14492444)
As I said in the 1st comment the 305s were my first option, but being rear-ported through me off because my space is limited and they had to sit fairly close to the wall. The JBL community advised me that chances are it won't bother me, but I didn't want to gamble as sending back would had cost me almost the price difference between the 5s and the 305s, so I decided for the Golds. I never heard the JBLs, I'd be very curious to compare them, but as you, I'm happy with what I already got so all good.

The JBL guys were probably right. As long as you keep a few cm-s distance from the wall you'll be fine. Bass frequencies will be affected by the wall about the same amount, front-ported or not (technically there is a difference, but it is nowhere near what people sometimes make it seem to be). Genelec's speaker placement suggestions are a really good reference.

Anyhow, front-ported is still nice and if you like them, more power to you.

AndreiPiatra 27th January 2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturate (Post 14492479)
The JBL guys were probably right. As long as you keep a few cm-s distance from the wall you'll be fine. Bass frequencies will be affected by the wall about the same amount, front-ported or not (technically there is a difference, but it is nowhere near what people sometimes make it seem to be). Genelec's speaker placement suggestions are a really good reference.

Anyhow, front-ported is still nice and if you like them, more power to you.

The only thing I'm not so sure about it is on the 12k+ region where I hear a bit of distortion or some metallic presence compared to my stellar ATC 20, but could be as they're not fully broken-in, will see, other than that superb in all aspects for a 5'' woofer, you really can't ask for more.

mattiasnyc 27th January 2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra (Post 14492582)
The only thing I'm not so sure about it is on the 12k+ region where I hear a bit of distortion or some metallic presence compared to my stellar ATC 20, but could be as they're not fully broken-in, will see, other than that superb in all aspects for a 5'' woofer, you really can't ask for more.

I really don't think there should be distortion in that range. That sounds pretty problematic to me and I wonder why that would be happening. I know it's apparently pretty darn difficult to create a good coax monitor but certainly it should behave if properly made.

AndreiPiatra 27th January 2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattiasnyc (Post 14492684)
I really don't think there should be distortion in that range. That sounds pretty problematic to me and I wonder why that would be happening. I know it's apparently pretty darn difficult to create a good coax monitor but certainly it should behave if properly made.

It's not bad and terrible, but it's there, at least here in my room and for now. Will report back on this after I collect enough data.

P. Ness 28th January 2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattiasnyc (Post 14492684)

The range covered by the tweeter is exactly where you will find distortion in a coax with a woofer cone loaded tweeter. It's intermodulation distortion caused by the movement of the cone. I can hear it on basically every coax that I've tried like the diysoundgroup volt series and the KEF Qxx and LS50. As much as I like them it's one thing keeping me from going all in on coax speakers with the tweeter mounted in the woofer. Something like the presonus sceptre's likely don't suffer as much from this if at all.

mattiasnyc 28th January 2020 07:58 AM

That's what I mean. It's a shame because I typically like the crossover point a fair bit more than 'regular' two-ways.

P. Ness 28th January 2020 08:03 AM

It doesn't really have anything to do with the crossover point, it's about how the drivers are loaded.

mattiasnyc 28th January 2020 04:52 PM

I didn't say it had to do with the crossover point. I was saying that speakers such as these I tend to like around the crossover point compared to two-way non-coax speakers, and that I wish the speaker didn't have this (supposed) distortion, because the reason I've liked coax is the sound around the crossover area.

I hope that's clearer.

magi44ken 5th February 2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra (Post 14492582)

Maybe try adding a sub to see if you can still hear the distortion that might cause by moving woofer.

I'm really interested how this compare to the popular KEF Q150 or Q350.

AndreiPiatra 5th February 2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magi44ken (Post 14512457)
Maybe try adding a sub to see if you can still hear the distortion that might cause by moving woofer.

I'm really interested how this compare to the popular KEF Q150 or Q350.

Thanks for the tip! TBH I don't fancy the idea of a sub as I'm in a smaller room for now(12sqm), but I'll move in a larger location and I'm definitely going to consider it, to pair it with the ATC20 for a main type of sound, and of course will see how it works with the Golds as well. In the meantime I have to figure out if it's not something simple, they're not on my desk just yet, only listened for a few hours, definitely hope to decongest on that 12k+ frequency area, that would be amazing, and more than anything...not low-end anymore. If it gets as smooth as everything under 12k then this monitors are on the high-end spectrum of studio monitors. Haven't changed my opinion, they're freaking amazing as is, huge bang for the buck, will see, maybe it gets better, I'm going to report on this as soon as I'm confident enough. kfhkh

Bstapper 5th February 2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra (Post 14513005)
Thanks for the tip! TBH I don't fancy the idea of a sub as I'm in a smaller room for now(12sqm), but I'll move in a larger location and I'm definitely going to consider it, to pair it with the ATC20 for a main type of sound, and of course will see how it works with the Golds as well. In the meantime I have to figure out if it's not something simple, they're not on my desk just yet, only listened for a few hours, definitely hope to decongest on that 12k+ frequency area, that would be amazing, and more than anything...not low-end anymore. If it gets as smooth as everything under 12k then this monitors are on the high-end spectrum of studio monitors. Haven't changed my opinion, they're freaking amazing as is, huge bang for the buck, will see, maybe it gets better, I'm going to report on this as soon as I'm confident enough. kfhkh

You will notice in the frequency response charts that the 8" is considerably less erratic at the high end of the spectrum. I am guessing this has to do with the larger mass of the LF cone that is contributing to more stability of the coaxial hf driver, but either way it was the deciding factor in my choice of the 8" version of these speakers over one of the more practical (for my purposes) smaller version.

Cheers,
Brock

ChayaFFM 11th February 2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bstapper (Post 14514022)
You will notice in the frequency response charts that the 8" is considerably less erratic at the high end of the spectrum. I am guessing this has to do with the larger mass of the LF cone that is contributing to more stability of the coaxial hf driver, but either way it was the deciding factor in my choice of the 8" version of these speakers over one of the more practical (for my purposes) smaller version.

Cheers,
Brock

Have you tried them out yet? How do they compare to the old tannoys and sealed speakers? I'm debating whether to get these or used sealed speakers which cost alot more but may be more revealing and alot better when it comes to transient response.

Bstapper 11th February 2020 10:14 PM

My rep was supposed to order them for me and has been a bit incognito since NAMM. Waiting to hear if they are on the way but haven’t had them show up yet.

norfolksoundman9 28th February 2020 07:06 PM

Just putting my newly arrived Tannoy Gold 5s through their paces this afternoon. Running them from a Sound Devices Mixpre-3. Can't claim professional expertise or golden ears, but I'm happy. They are a serious step up from my old Fostex pm0.4n monitors (!), although I'm used to rather better hifi sound (B&W and Vivid). Plenty of bass for my small mixing room (I'm mixing acoustic music), and tighter on kicks and snares than I anticipated: at last I think I can mix without having to rely on headphones for bass! An excellent stereo image, though of course you'd expect that with dual concentrics. Worth giving them a listen at the very least.

Cheers,

Roland