Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   Recording and Mixing in a Wooden Stable (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1295092-recording-mixing-wooden-stable.html)

FJK 18th January 2020 12:40 AM

Recording and Mixing in a Wooden Stable
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hello
I am looking for advice regarding what to spend £250 on improving the quality of the recording of instruments in the stall of a wooden stable.

The setup

tascam 32d with Behringer monitors placed in a smaller room with 4 XLR leads and one jack lead for headphones leading to the stall for recording. The smaller room measures 3.5m wide 2m deep and a ceiling angled from 2.5m rising up towards 3m

The Stall used for recording has two Behringer b1 condensar mics and a stereo pair of Berhinger C1, each with mic stands. The floor measures 3.5x3.5 and the ceiling rises from 2.5m on the north wall to 3.6m on the south partition. The sound partition only rises to 2.5m where there is a gap to the ceiling. A similar arrangement is on the east side with the stall door frame having a gap above it to the ceiling.

The building is made of frames covered with 5mm thick Tongue and groove panels and the ceiling is single sheet corrugated bitumen.

The sound recording contains a lot of reverb and is quite muddy.



Any advice greatly appreciated

FJK 22nd January 2020 12:23 AM

Based on responses it does appear I am on one here. But thanks to https://www.gearslutz.com/board/members/4336-avare/ posting the Rose guide to acoustic practice there is a way forward and a goal to aim for.

In the meantime sleeping bags and mats and duvets hung on a range of poles and covered with a large felt sheet has had a really positive effect. I will post a picture once it is in some order but just this small change has had a real impact on the quality.

DownTheLine 23rd January 2020 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJK (Post 14478983)
Based on responses it does appear I am on one here. But thanks to https://www.gearslutz.com/board/members/4336-avare/ posting the Rose guide to acoustic practice there is a way forward and a goal to aim for.

In the meantime sleeping bags and mats and duvets hung on a range of poles and covered with a large felt sheet has had a really positive effect. I will post a picture once it is in some order but just this small change has had a real impact on the quality.

Hi, you aren't getting any responses because you haven't given enough relevant info.

What kind of instruments, etc, do you plan on recording.

Can you get a measurement mic and measure you rooms?

$300 is very low for anything even for a mix/control room let alone a large space.

Many companies make basic sound panels and that would be a place to start. Have some of them on walls and have some as GOBO's.

FJK 24th January 2020 10:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up - What is being recorded
Regarding what is being recorded in the room
Those with * have been recorded to tascam with vocals significant echo, reverb, etc,
** sounded ok
*** not recorded yet
*1. vocals via Behringer B1 Condenser mic
*2. acoustic guitar via B1 condenser mic
**3. Harmonica via B1 condenser mic
***4. Baritone Recorder via B1 condenser mic
***5. Bass Via laney RB3 mix’s to condenser b1 switched to 10db
***6. Electric 6 string via Roland Cube 60 to b1 condenser mic
*7. Drums via paired Berhinger C1s and Shure snare mic
***8. Hammond Organ mic’d to Behringer b1 condenser mic

DownTheLine 24th January 2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJK (Post 14486875)
Thanks for the heads up - What is being recorded
Regarding what is being recorded in the room
Those with * have been recorded to tascam with vocals significant echo, reverb, etc,
** sounded ok
*** not recorded yet
*1. vocals via Behringer B1 Condenser mic
*2. acoustic guitar via B1 condenser mic
**3. Harmonica via B1 condenser mic
***4. Baritone Recorder via B1 condenser mic
***5. Bass Via laney RB3 mix’s to condenser b1 switched to 10db
***6. Electric 6 string via Roland Cube 60 to b1 condenser mic
*7. Drums via paired Berhinger C1s and Shure snare mic
***8. Hammond Organ mic’d to Behringer b1 condenser mic

You can try taming the reflections from you ceiling.


You can building ceiling clouds to hang/ buy acoustic panels and hangers.

FJK 24th January 2020 10:48 PM

Update - Gobo’s, Isolation booth, blankets
 
Thanks again for the reply regarding gobos

MAKE or BUY?

Is it best to buy gobos- will 4 gobos 1200 high suffice
I expect the answer is 4 is not enough

have started looking to build some of these based on utube.

I estimate I could get 9 gobos or boards at 1200 x 600 x 50 each And have enough Rockwool for 600mm corners bas traps

I have
the mdf frames
Rockwool 50 mm for gobos
Rockwool 100 mm for absorbers in corners
4 mm Plywood for backing

ACOUSTIC FABRIC or CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE BURLAP
trying to understand if the acoustic fabric is a must or could achieve same result with burlap .

PLACEMENT
In terms of placement on the wall is it just a case of experimenting

My assumption for the vocals is I need 4 gobos to be placed in front back and each side and for them to be 2m high - so 8 of the home made boards one on top of other so 2.4 each.

For the room will place one gobo / panel over the window and the door

The idea for the bass traps would be to put the rock wool in the 4 corners at 45 degrees to each wall.

WHAT ABOUT ACOUSTIC BLANKETS
I see there is another method using acoustic blankets and plastic piping to make a 2m x 2m x height 2.43m booth - does this give a better result

JUST FOR FUN
Based on the BBC book will covert some furniture to sound absorbers, just to see


The dilema is what will work best so any advice on the best way to proceed

Should I :

Go BUY GOBOS FOR QUALITY?

go HOME MADE GOBO’s FOR QUANTITY?
DOES THE FABRIC NEED TO BE ACOUSTIC FABRIC?
CAN I GET AWAY WITH USING BURLAP?

GOBO PLACEMENT TIPS?

are ACOUSTIC BLANKETS ANY GOOD?

FJK 24th January 2020 10:53 PM

Thanks will get that added to the list of items
Is there any particular rules about placement ?

DownTheLine 24th January 2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJK (Post 14486994)
Thanks will get that added to the list of items
Is there any particular rules about placement ?

You will need to do recording and trial and error.

I like Poly diffusors in some spaces.

Polycylindrical Diffuser Design

They can sound really good around a drum set but you'll need to do a lot of recording to find the right place for your space.

Polycylindrical Diffuser Design

https://www.gikacoustics.com/diffusion-by-jeff-hedback/

You may also want to try and record without the rubber matt on the ground.

Also, GnM and other acoustic fabric is fire rated, that is really the best, IMO.

FJK 24th January 2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownTheLine (Post 14482693)
Hi, you aren't getting any responses because you haven't given enough relevant info.

What kind of instruments, etc, do you plan on recording.

Can you get a measurement mic and measure you rooms?

$300 is very low for anything even for a mix/control room let alone a large space.

Many companies make basic sound panels and that would be a place to start. Have some of them on walls and have some as GOBO's.

Measurement Mic - will check out where I can get a lend of one

FJK 25th January 2020 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownTheLine (Post 14487009)
You will need to do recording and trial and error.

I like Poly diffusors in some spaces.

Polycylindrical Diffuser Design

They can sound really good around a drum set but you'll need to do a lot of recording to find the right place for your space.

Polycylindrical Diffuser Design

https://www.gikacoustics.com/diffusion-by-jeff-hedback/

You may also want to try and record without the rubber matt on the ground.

Also, GnM and other acoustic fabric is fire rated, that is really the best, IMO.

GnM and other acoustic fabric

GnM tried to find this, does it go by another name

DownTheLine 25th January 2020 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJK (Post 14487318)
GnM and other acoustic fabric

GnM tried to find this, does it go by another name

https://acousticalsolutions.com/prod...oustic-fabric/

Roll Tape 25th January 2020 10:05 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Here's some inspiration for you.

The Barn Recording Studio: https://www.facebook.com/TheBarnPlai...8007396305673/

I'm assuming you have a farmhouse to go with that stable.

The Farmhouse Sessions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4WkJwI8s6A

Anything is possible, kfhkh

Starlight 25th January 2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJK (Post 14487020)
Measurement Mic - will check out where I can get a lend of one

PM sent.

FJK 26th January 2020 03:36 AM

Thanks for your message your operation is much more spacious than what I have - but I was wondering whether to take out the partitions that make the separate stalls - your pictures suggest I should and the overhead padding is very helpful.

johannburkard 3rd February 2020 11:59 PM

Maybe this is something for you: Polycylindrical diffusers offer useful LF absorbtion Should be easy and cheap to build.