Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Modular Mania - All Things Eurorack and Modular Synths/Effects (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/)
-   -   Trouble deciding on a randomizing module. (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/1293305-trouble-deciding-randomizing-module.html)

Necron 99 3rd January 2020 08:50 PM

Trouble deciding on a randomizing module.

My current setup includes: Mutable Instruments Braids, Subconscious Communications Model 52 Vampire, Super Synthesis dual VCF, Noise Engineering BIA, SSF Entity Percussion Synthesizer, Industrial Music Electronics Stillson Hammer Mk II, 4MS QCD, Mutable Instruments Yarns, SSF Quantum Rainbow 2, and Intellijel Quad VCA.

I'm looking into getting a randomizing module, but I'm torn between the Verbos Random Sampling, Mutable Instruments Marbles, and the SSF Ultra Random Analog. I'm leaning toward the Verbos Random Sampling due to its Analog Shift Register, but I would like to hear from others who own these modules and am open to other random modules I may not be aware of. I will admit my knowledge about randomizing modules is still somewhat limited, and I'm not sure if there are several overlaps between these three modules or if they are each significantly different.

Derp 3rd January 2020 11:49 PM

URA owner here. It's kind of a tricky module to get your head around, but you can do sooooo much with it. In general, I recommend getting as much random into your system as you can. There's a billion ways to inject randomness in all form factors. You really can't have too much modulation.

void23 4th January 2020 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necron 99 (Post 14422957)
My current setup includes: Mutable Instruments Braids, Subconscious Communications Model 52 Vampire, Super Synthesis dual VCF, Noise Engineering BIA, SSF Entity Percussion Synthesizer, Industrial Music Electronics Stillson Hammer Mk II, 4MS QCD, Mutable Instruments Yarns, SSF Quantum Rainbow 2, and Intellijel Quad VCA.

I'm looking into getting a randomizing module, but I'm torn between the Verbos Random Sampling, Mutable Instruments Marbles, and the SSF Ultra Random Analog. I'm leaning toward the Verbos Random Sampling due to its Analog Shift Register, but I would like to hear from others who own these modules and am open to other random modules I may not be aware of. I will admit my knowledge about randomizing modules is still somewhat limited, and I'm not sure if there are several overlaps between these three modules or if they are each significantly different.

Marbles also has a shift register and a quantizer ... it's a very "musical" module if you use it that way.

butter 5th January 2020 05:49 AM

An Ornament and Crime will add a bunch of functionality to your existing setup, even if you eventually decide to use it for other purposes than its randomizing bitties.
One of the modes is like 4 Turing Machines (clever ASRs) and it also has epic quantizer functionality built in - a quantizer is pretty vital for fiddling with random pitch stuff so you'd probably want to add one anyway if you went with any of the other options.
Original Turing machines are awesome, especially with few of the expanders attached - and slightly more WYSIWYG than the o_C implementation, so a Turing still be worth looking into if you like what the o_C does. Oh, and as its not so one-knob-per-function, going for one of the micro versions of the Ornament isn't a bad idea.... there also an o_C +(?) out there now... can't remember what exactly its called, but IIRC has some built in attenuators or something that I'd look into in more detail were I in the market for a third one.
Going through a bit of a love affair with SSF at the moment, so don't have anything bad to say about the URA, but again ...quantizer.
On the cheaper end the Doepfer 149 and expander is also fun, as well as just some good old S&H.
TNRS Tuesday is a fantastic pitch generator too.
On the more random modulation side as opposed to pitch, would be wrong not to mention the Wogglebug (or Erica swamp) and of course triple sloths.

Depends also what you mean by randomization, your mention of ASRs meant the above is focussed on pitch, but can also be applied to trigs or gates - and some of the above will give you some of those also. For those kind of things, "probabilty" seems to work better than just "random", so things like mutable branches are fun for that, or if you like the o_C the temps utile partners well. Things like Mutable grids, Numeric/Zularic repetitors or other euclidean sequencers also work, and while not exactly random, modulating them can get you pretty close for the unpredictable, but controlled thing... Going along that path, you also get into logic modules where again although they are decidedly not random, they can give a lot of surprising variation especially if you chain them.

Befaco muxslicer gets pretty weird sometimes too as well as the earlier sampling modulator, although I guess they aren't actually very random themselves, but like to be fed random.

Marbles is like a meta-patch in one module combining the functionality of a lot of the above. Seems pretty cool, but mine is broken so no first hand comments.

Go buy them all. lol

(edit - got into a bit of a brain dump there, don't mean to bury the fact that my starting "first, o_C !" response is the important bit)

Bignatius 8th January 2020 11:36 PM

I have a URA. It's great. And powerful.

And a Branches.

JoeDeF 9th January 2020 05:35 AM

Butter covered a lot of options in his post. I guess the questions to ask are: What do you need to randomize? How many simultaneous random streams do you need? That might help to guide your decision.

For me, the answers are lots of things and lots. O_C can give you lots of choices (don’t overlook the bytebeat equations or the strange attractors), whether with the original firmware or Hemisphere Suite firmware, and you can get four separate random outputs at once. You could get the 8hp O_c and have some money and hp left for a small module like Zlob Diode Chaos or maybe Erica Pico Random or Mask (don’t have the last two). If you need lots of slower wobbly random sources, Triple Sloths is great (but not really controllable).

Whatever you get, you’ll probably find you wish you had more and start planning your next random module acquisition.

subdo 10th January 2020 01:21 AM

Your Quantum Rainbow would get you a bunch of interesting modulation with a S&H and slew if you want to go old school. I have the URA and Marbles. Both are really dense feature packed modules that will keep you busy for a while. SSF is stopping production of the URA so I'd get one sooner rather than later if that's your choice. The Instro Scion also looks pretty deep and unconventional.

Summer Of Nebula 11th January 2020 03:58 AM

I'll get a Qu-Bit Chance I guess.

I can't wrap my head around how URA works so I think I prefer something more straight forward like Chance.

edit: Instruo Scion + Instruo Tagh looks and works great too, I guess.

Derp 16th January 2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula (Post 14442774)
I can't wrap my head around how URA works so I think I prefer something more straight forward like Chance.

TBH, I don't blame you. I use URA, but I'm still not sure how it works or really what's it's doing. It's like the Benjolin of modulation sources.

Bignatius 17th January 2020 02:34 AM

What don't you guys understand re the URA?

mildheadwound 17th January 2020 05:58 AM

Let me explain the chaos computer; you can have two static sources, more or less referencing one, and another, using pure analogue clocking, or any input.

My preference is a single gate input, which pushes your combined processing by a single step.

Yes, pure chaos, as cv, looks like some single, sporadic butterfly wing of discordant pain, but when you sample this, with a, (an?), human interface, it adds a certain organic interpretation. A je ne sais quoiat! There. I said it. And i even made a belligerent, half reference, to a [email protected]

The point being, when you callously finger a gate reflex, music be damned, the results reveal your true genetic dispositions.

Ultimately, we’re all doomed, and the more you accept that, the more true it is...

But the opposite is also true. I think that is 1-3-8 switches, up, on x and y.

Bignatius 17th January 2020 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildheadwound (Post 14463861)
Let me explain the chaos computer; you can have two static sources, more or less referencing one, and another, using pure analogue clocking, or any input.

My preference is a single gate input, which pushes your combined processing by a single step.

Yes, pure chaos, as cv, looks like some single, sporadic butterfly wing of discordant pain, but when you sample this, with a, (an?), human interface, it adds a certain organic interpretation. A je ne sais quoiat! There. I said it. And i even made a belligerent, half reference, to a twat.

The point being, when you callously finger a gate reflex, music be damned, the results reveal your true genetic dispositions.

Ultimately, we’re all doomed, and the more you accept that, the more true it is...

You must have the good weed.

mildheadwound 17th January 2020 06:28 AM

You had a different response to 138? ;)

Summer Of Nebula 17th January 2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildheadwound (Post 14463861)

Yes, pure chaos, as cv, looks like some single, sporadic butterfly wing of discordant pain, but when you sample this, with a, (an?), human interface, it adds a certain organic interpretation. A je ne sais quoiat! There. I said it. And i even made a belligerent, half reference, to a [email protected]

Are you the Jack Kerouac of sound?
Thanks for explaining though =)

Summer Of Nebula 17th January 2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bignatius (Post 14463389)

Nothing in particular. But just from watching the tutorial videos it seems to me that it is a modul one should really know to get the best out of it.

subdo 17th January 2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Random Flux. I understand that it is derived from the left and right S&H but beyond that it's pretty murky. Doesn't stop me from using it but frankly I have no idea how it is generating the CV.

Derp 17th January 2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subdo (Post 14465762)
Random Flux. I understand that it is derived from the left and right S&H but beyond that it's pretty murky. Doesn't stop me from using it but frankly I have no idea how it is generating the CV.

Same. Sample and hold I understand. Everything else, not so much, but it's still fun to use.

subdo 17th January 2020 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 14466079)
Same. Sample and hold I understand. Everything else, not so much, but it's still fun to use.

The opto integrator is another weird one but once I got that it was basically just the random pulse sent through a vactrol it made a lot more sense. It's an unconventional way to get random voltage that doesn't start with S&H and very bouncy in a musical way.

bkbirge 17th January 2020 09:43 PM

Here's another to look at, the grayscale permutation, a nicely updated Turing machine...
https://grayscale.info/permutation/

There's also the Sputnik West Coast Random if you can find one.

cane creek 17th January 2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Because you look at the panel and its all gobbledygook.

So then you read the manual and kinda understand 20% of it......

Then you don't use it for a week and you look at the panel and its all gobbledygook,

So then you read the manual and kinda understand 20% of it......

then you don't use it for a week and..................:lol:

The above is a true story kfhkh

PS its got some gorgeous LEDS.

cane creek 17th January 2020 09:55 PM

Verbos also do a Random module.

Summer Of Nebula 17th January 2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cane creek (Post 14466357)
[...]

PS its got some gorgeous LEDS.

How funny, because that's exactly what I often think when I look at my Ultrafold =)