Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Geekslutz Forum (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/)
-   -   Google Speech to Text using Line out (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/1291798-google-speech-text-using-line-out.html)

jeejeegr 18th December 2019 04:53 PM

Google Speech to Text using Line out

Hello.

I am trying to save time by keeping notes of youtube videos (transcripts are not available in my local language), using Google speech to text functionality of my Android phone.

In order to do that, currently, im moving my phone's handsfree microphone close to the speaker of my computer, which is fine, but I would prefer it in a more silent way.

I tried the following but it didnt work. Can you please advise and if there's a solution to my problem (ie a special cable or related gear):

I plugged in a JACK to JACK cable to my computer's line out and to my smartphone's jack but it didnt work even if line out was sending the signal fine.

Thanks in advance,

Jay Rose 18th December 2019 09:58 PM

Not sure I understand. You're generating TTS on the desktop and want to capture it ("computer's line out and to my smartphone's jack"), but your phone wouldn't accept a line in? Why not use one of the many audio capture utilities for Windows or Macs? AFAIK, you can even still do it within Audacity Windows.

AFAIK the 1/8" jack on smartphones use tip and ring for left and right, then common on the second ring, then mic in on the part of the sleeve closest to the shell. A normal patch cable won't hit the input properly. I also believe the phones are looking for a much smaller signal than a headphone jack on a desktop will provide, and carry a DC voltage that might cause distortion in the desktop headphone output... but I haven't physically tested this.

If you want to record from the desktop into your phone (without using the speaker and mic), you need an adapter like this . But it's designed for standalone mics into the phone, and signal level might still be an issue.

jeejeegr 19th December 2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Rose (Post 14392962)
Not sure I understand. You're generating TTS on the desktop and want to capture it ("computer's line out and to my smartphone's jack"), but your phone wouldn't accept a line in? Why not use one of the many audio capture utilities for Windows or Macs? AFAIK, you can even still do it within Audacity Windows.

AFAIK the 1/8" jack on smartphones use tip and ring for left and right, then common on the second ring, then mic in on the part of the sleeve closest to the shell. A normal patch cable won't hit the input properly. I also believe the phones are looking for a much smaller signal than a headphone jack on a desktop will provide, and carry a DC voltage that might cause distortion in the desktop headphone output... but I haven't physically tested this.

If you want to record from the desktop into your phone (without using the speaker and mic), you need an adapter like this . But it's designed for standalone mics into the phone, and signal level might still be an issue.

Thanks for the reply.
My goal is to provide an on-the-fly sound to the Google Speech to Text, so it saves the whole audio as a text file.

Simple showcase: I want to have an mp3 playingblack in my desktop and at the same time it plays, its lyrics should be written in an SMS, using Google speech to text on my phone, using a cable as a connection between desktop and mobile.

Is that clear enough?