Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Q+A with UDO Super 6 synth designer George Hearn (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-udo-super-6-synth-designer-george-hearn/)
-   -   More Than 64 Presets? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-udo-super-6-synth-designer-george-hearn/1291607-more-than-64-presets.html)

blewis_13 16th December 2019 11:31 PM

More Than 64 Presets?

Where did UDO wind up on potentially doubling the number of possible presets?

George Hearn 17th December 2019 04:37 PM

We've doubled the physical memory!

We are still deliberating on how to unlock the second set of 8 banks from a user perspective. Any good suggestions here welcome, for example, we could hold down a bank button at power up, or pres bank buttons "A-B-C" together or something along these lines

Pip 17th December 2019 05:18 PM

George can you not get the shift key in action? A power up solution would only give you access to 64 presets per power up?

M32 17th December 2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Hearn (Post 14389823)

We are still deliberating on how to unlock the second set of 8 banks from a user perspective. Any good suggestions here welcome, for example, we could hold down a bank button at power up, or pres bank buttons "A-B-C" together or something along these lines

So far, all reply's have been more than I could've hoped for, kudos. Would just like to chip in that a way to acces banks that doesn't require a reboot would be very much preferable. ABC together seems fine

duvalle 17th December 2019 07:26 PM

Too bad that the preset management is not really optimal. Especially with a synth where you can obviously invent a lot of great sounds, it would be great to have a kind of "quick snapshot" function - similar to the Moog 1.

markodarko 17th December 2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure a power-up solution is particularly good, if I’m honest. How about you just double-tap the bank button to enter A2 and the light would then blink instead of being constant?

Just a thought. freshflowe

kwaping 17th December 2019 09:23 PM

How about holding down the bank/preset button and using the mod wheel left/right?

SteveElbows 17th December 2019 09:33 PM

How about shift+the button labelled patch right next to it to toggle between the sets?

SteveElbows 17th December 2019 09:39 PM

And you could use an 'inverted LED' strategy for indicating that the user is int he 2nd set of banks. ie when in first set, bank A, LED for button A is lit, others are unlit. When in 2nd set of banks, bank A, bank A LED is unlit and LEDS B-H are lit. When in 2nd set of banks, bank B, B is unlit, A and C-H are lit etc etc.

George Hearn 18th December 2019 03:40 PM

I quite like the double click idea on the bank button that then flashes it. That way the second group might be selected for only one bank location. Feelings?

markodarko 18th December 2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Hearn (Post 14392057)
I quite like the double click idea on the bank button that then flashes it. That way the second group might be selected for only one bank location. Feelings?

Warm and fuzzy. kfhkh

SteveElbows 18th December 2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

I'd be quite happy with this so long as the timing of the double click is suitably lenient. Or even the additional ability to single click again on a bank thats already selected to go to its flashy second set?

anselmi 18th December 2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

???

Pip 19th December 2019 12:10 AM

Feelings on that are good George - although I’d still like even more storage space, let’s be honest when you are demo, loads of great sounds just pop out - kudos, but were are we going to store an afternoon’s noodlings?

markodarko 19th December 2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pip (Post 14393263)
Feelings on that are good George - although I’d still like even more storage space, let’s be honest when you are demo, loads of great sounds just pop out - kudos, but were are we going to store an afternoon’s noodlings?

Double click the patch button for additional patches too?

So...

A-H, 1-8 (normal)
A[A]-H[H], 1-8 (double bank click)
A-H, 1[1]-8[8] (double patch click)
A[A]-H[H], 1[1]-8[8] (double bank & patch click)

That’d give 256 possible patches from the available buttons.

Pip 19th December 2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markodarko (Post 14393326)
Double click the patch button for additional patches too?

So...

A-H, 1-8 (normal)
A[A]-H[H], 1-8 (double bank click)
A-H, 1[1]-8[8] (double patch click)
A[A]-H[H], 1[1]-8[8] (double bank & patch click)

That’d give 256 possible patches from the available buttons.

I like the sound of that.

markodarko 19th December 2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pip (Post 14393910)
I like the sound of that.

Cool. Let’s see what @ George Hearn thinks of this. Obviously we’d need flashing lights on the patch buttons too if they’re double clicked, but I’m sure a team of their calibre can pull that off no problem.

freshflowe

goodweather 19th December 2019 01:34 PM

On my Accelerator, you can name patches and use the synth keyboard with each key representing a letter or other character. This is a very efficient and simple way to get a lot of choices.

So, you can implement bank and patch selection in a similar way.
Press a bank button and a key in first octave gives you 12 banks
Press a patch button and a key gives you 49 patches by bank
12x49 = almost 500 patches cooge

The advantage is also that with 12 banks you can almost organize them by categories. Just need to remember whch bank contains which style ;-)

anselmi 19th December 2019 02:59 PM

Honestly, I think that 256 is the absolute minimum.

Bignatius 20th December 2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Definitely not on Power Up, please.

It needs to work on the fly, during operation, IMO.

Thanks.