Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/)
-   -   Proof gear and engineering can turn a horrible performance to butter. (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/1291205-proof-gear-engineering-can-turn-horrible-performance-butter.html)

LAMBEAU 13th December 2019 09:37 AM

Proof gear and engineering can turn a horrible performance to butter.

This ends the debate. I know the rough mix probably sounded horrible.

DAH 13th December 2019 10:57 AM

****ty grained modelling clay in place of vocals still. Polished turd.

CJ Mastering 13th December 2019 07:22 PM

Sound horrible to me, very annoying voice to me and thew chorus melody is stolen from another song. A Michael Jackson song!

LAMBEAU 14th December 2019 04:20 AM

I agree. I am no hater at all but I am not sure how there were people on social media actually saying this was a good song.

Skamm Goodiez 15th December 2019 02:08 AM

7 million views in 2 days... Get mad all you want but he is winning.

Doc Vigilanti 15th December 2019 03:20 AM

More like a cover of a Michael Jackson song.

I liked it. I liked the rock vibe. They could have easily thrown some 808's in there and really trapped it up, but they kept it pretty close to the original from a production stand point. Some of the critiques on the mixing choices seem more like creative mixing touches and not trying to cover up a bad recording.

The arrangement of the song worked very well for a rapper. They changed the lyrics, but yeah, I thought it was a good song.

Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson.

LAMBEAU 15th December 2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti (Post 14384942)
More like a cover of a Michael Jackson song.

I liked it. I liked the rock vibe. They could have easily thrown some 808's in there and really trapped it up, but they kept it pretty close to the original from a production stand point. Some of the critiques on the mixing choices seem more like creative mixing touches and not trying to cover up a bad recording.

The arrangement of the song worked very well for a rapper. They changed the lyrics, but yeah, I thought it was a good song.

Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson.

Yea like the mix sounded really clean and s/o to the engineer who did this but youngboy's pitch was all over the place and he sounded pretty horrible and annoying.

LAMBEAU 15th December 2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez (Post 14384863)
7 million views in 2 days... Get mad all you want but he is winning.

I am not mad at all. The point of the post was about how a good engineer can turn a bad performance into a something decent sonically and this is a good example of this.

Doc Vigilanti 15th December 2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAMBEAU (Post 14385228)
Yea like the mix sounded really clean and s/o to the engineer who did this but youngboy's pitch was all over the place and he sounded pretty horrible and annoying.

He most definitely is all over the place, but then again he is a rapper and not a singer.

They did use Auto-tune on his vocals so either it sounded way worse when they cut his vocals or they just fixed some of it as that was the sound and performance they were going for.

I still find the song good even with the singing being pretty horrible because the song is about a girl that he loved that screwed him over and him singing in the song reflects that pain.

It's art, and you don't like it and that's cool as art is subjective.