Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   SSL Origin . (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1290541-ssl-origin.html)

toofanstudio 7th December 2019 08:18 AM

SSL Origin .
 
SSL Origin with new style of console .
Specially for modern studio with hybrid design.
.
PureDrive mic pre with modern FET discrete transistor.
.
I wish to test it and change my AWS to this model .
But , FET preamp is my new challenge.
What’s that !?
What’s exactly review about other FET preamps ?!

Youcef 8th December 2019 11:40 AM

From AWS to ORIGIN :facepalm:
The Origin has great EQs and pres but no automation.
I advise you to buy a vintage ssl 4000g with automation and PSU replacement.

toofanstudio 9th December 2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youcef (Post 14370970)
From AWS to ORIGIN :facepalm:
The Origin has great EQs and pres but no automation.
I advise you to buy a vintage ssl 4000g with automation and PSU replacement.

My main changing Can be " Preamp ".
But it's just question , not my end mind.

Arthur Stone 9th December 2019 11:20 AM

Other aspects of SSL gear always seemed more popular than the preamps; perhaps SSL are trying to remedy this? They introduced the VHD preamps back in the 00's so these new PureDrive are the latest:
Quote:

PureDrive™ is a new discrete transistor mic-pre based around modern FET components. The result is an ultra-clean, ultra-low noise pre amp, that is fast and offers stunning resolution when in 'Pure' mode. Hit the switch and the 'Drive' circuit is engaged, adding gain dependent non-linear harmonic saturation. Source: https://solidstatelogic.com/studio/ORIGIN

Youcef 9th December 2019 11:36 AM

Go with a classic ssl console with automation and PSU replacement and some Neve channel strips to track through.

toofanstudio 9th December 2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Stone (Post 14372859)
Other aspects of SSL gear always seemed more popular than the preamps; perhaps SSL are trying to remedy this? They introduced the VHD preamps back in the 00's so these new PureDrive are the latest:

That is ture .
VHD and secound series it’s good but , not very very high .
pure Drive is my head of researching.
Because he says about FET modern technology .
Di you have any other preamp with other company , with FET technology ?!

toofanstudio 9th December 2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youcef (Post 14372872)
Go with a classic ssl console with automation and PSU replacement and some Neve channel strips to track through.

I am mixing with this AWS console and automation system .
For mixing it’s nice .
But about preamp , .... they can be change .

Youcef 9th December 2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toofanstudio (Post 14374020)
I am mixing with this AWS console and automation system .
For mixing it’s nice .
But about preamp , .... they can be change .

Track trough any good pre directly to the daw, then mix it on the AWS, I have a similar workflow in my studio

toofanstudio 10th December 2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youcef (Post 14374315)
Track trough any good pre directly to the daw, then mix it on the AWS, I have a similar workflow in my studio

But , Origin PureDrive can be change our routing.
I search about FET preamp and see good effect , and now SSL start to this model . But I searching about review of users .

Youcef 10th December 2019 10:20 PM

Sorry I searched on the web for any users review but there is just the AES announcement. wait for 6 months then chek for users reviews.

Jim Williams 11th December 2019 05:57 PM

A schematic would be interesting as SSL has done some innovative stuff. Jfets for the mic preamp? The last time I saw that done was Craig Connolly's last Neotek release with 2SK170's fets used in place of the usual low noise bipolar 2SD737's.

It did raise the noise floor as those bipolar parts are .5 nv noise, the jfets are all 1 nv or more for the 40 volt parts. A very high input impedance is one benefit of the jfet frontend. Linear Systems 1 nv noise matched dual fets might be a great part to try.

Digiplex 11th December 2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youcef (Post 14376234)
Sorry I searched on the web for any users review but there is just the AES announcement. wait for 6 months then chek for users reviews.

Not out yet you’d have to goto a convention too see it

toofanstudio 11th December 2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Williams (Post 14377838)
A schematic would be interesting as SSL has done some innovative stuff. Jfets for the mic preamp? The last time I saw that done was Craig Connolly's last Neotek release with 2SK170's fets used in place of the usual low noise bipolar 2SD737's.

It did raise the noise floor as those bipolar parts are .5 nv noise, the jfets are all 1 nv or more for the 40 volt parts. A very high input impedance is one benefit of the jfet frontend. Linear Systems 1 nv noise matched dual fets might be a great part to try.

Thank u for good review.
Are “Jfet” and “fet “ same ?!
And what is the other preamp product with this technology?!

toofanstudio 11th December 2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youcef (Post 14376234)
Sorry I searched on the web for any users review but there is just the AES announcement. wait for 6 months then chek for users reviews.

In next AES show we can see it.
I hope SSL can be add very very nice preamp just for decrease other stuff im my routing

Digiplex 11th December 2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toofanstudio (Post 14378393)
In next AES show we can see it.
I hope SSL can be add very very nice preamp just for decrease other stuff im my routing

They are gonna show it in January in California for the show.

psycho_monkey 12th December 2019 01:06 AM

Why not get some external preamps? The origin seems a step back from the aws as far as mixing OTB goes - it looks like a tracking console designed to be used for summing at the mix stage.

Jim Williams 12th December 2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toofanstudio (Post 14378387)
Thank u for good review.
Are “Jfet” and “fet “ same ?!
And what is the other preamp product with this technology?!

I've seen a few discrete mic preamps using all jfets or fets, same terminology. It's the front end that sets the noise floor which is why most designs use the lower noise bipolar transistors like 2SB737.

Fets cannot produce the very low noise specs a bipolar transistor can at low impedances. They shine at impedances of 5k ohms or above, then they follow a noise plot nomograph for source impedance noise.

This is why a noisier fet opamp can produce less noise in a circuit with resistors above 10k ohms than a lower noise bipolar opamp can because the bipolar part will read the resistor noise as well as self noise.

Sometimes they teach this stuff in college EE courses, sometimes they don't. I'll be at NAMM this year so I'll try and pick the brains at SSL to get more answers.