Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   New Preamp (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/1290311-new-preamp.html)

BruceWaayne 5th December 2019 03:13 PM

New Preamp

Hello Guys,

I‘am interested to buy a new Preamp for upgrading my Studio

For me would be the Favorite the Tegeler VTRC or the WA73.

Any experiences with this? Or some new Ideas?

I produce, record most Hip Hop/Rap.

Microphone - TLM103
Interface - Apollo Quad FW

Thanks and Cheers

David W. Jones 5th December 2019 03:21 PM

Well between the 2 the WA76 is a limiting amp, and does not have a Mic Preamp.

BruceWaayne 5th December 2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 14364853)
Well between the 2 the WA76 is a limiting amp, and does not have a Mic Preamp.

Oh sorry i mean the WA73 EQ Single Channel

astralpen 5th December 2019 09:37 PM

Budget?

Scragend 6th December 2019 12:45 AM

You've got a unison interface - demo every mic pre in unison mode and pick what your like best as a starting point for hardware - actually you may find you're happy with "the choosen one" don't forget to listen in a mix - not just raw vocals. 2) then demo a UAD tubetech CL 1B MkII on the vocal track!

BruceWaayne 6th December 2019 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astralpen (Post 14365681)
Budget?

C.a 2k, if its cheaper its would Good also lol. :D

chessparov2.0 6th December 2019 06:13 AM

Used/excellent condition Avalon 737 around $1500?
Chris

BruceWaayne 6th December 2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 (Post 14366477)
Used/excellent condition Avalon 737 around $1500?
Chris

Oh a Avalon would be interesting too, unfortunately i had some bad experiences with used Gear :(

chessparov2.0 6th December 2019 09:42 AM

Sorry to hear that.
Recently, there was a thread regarding...
Taming the brightness of a 103, here at GS.
You may want to review it.

Also you could check out the Louder Than Liftoff,
Silver Bullet & Chroma.
Chris

Scragend 6th December 2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 (Post 14366694)
Also you could check out the Louder Than Liftoff,
Silver Bullet & Chroma.
Chris

Yes, the SB pres are nice then you get the NEVE > API, API > NEVE, just API, just NEVE options giving you a world of flavours.

Although you still haven't said if you've demo's all the UAD mic-pres in Unison mode - that would give you an idea of the sort of pre that sounds good with your voice and mic.

BruceWaayne 6th December 2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scragend (Post 14367056)
Yes, the SB pres are nice then you get the NEVE > API, API > NEVE, just API, just NEVE options giving you a world of flavours.

Although you still haven't said if you've demo's all the UAD mic-pres in Unison mode - that would give you an idea of the sort of pre that sounds good with your voice and mic.

At the Moment i record with UAD Mic Pre of the Neve 1073.
I'll try your Tip with the Cl-1B :cool:

Any experiences with the Avalon from UAD?

Scragend 6th December 2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceWaayne (Post 14367099)
At the Moment i record with UAD Mic Pre of the Neve 1073.
I'll try your Tip with the Cl-1B :cool:

Any experiences with the Avalon from UAD?

Wrong person really, there are a lots of people that love the 737 - I find it rather bland - I've used real ones and tried the UAD emulation - neither do anything for me - they're not bad - good sound but they just don't tug on the old heart strings! The compressor's quite nice though for tracking - but I prefer a 2A in that role.

Sajid_kk9 6th December 2019 06:06 PM

for me Great river pre worked great with TLM 103.

chessparov2.0 6th December 2019 08:01 PM

Don't laugh, but I bet the "Deluxe" version of the GAP-73 would sound pretty darn good too...
(but I'm confident both the LTLO stuff & the Ty Ford mentioned "Mickle" Pre mentioned in that TLM thread are superior)
Chris

Scragend 6th December 2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 (Post 14367739)
Don't laugh, but I bet the "Deluxe" version of the GAP-73 would sound pretty darn good too...
(but I'm confident both the LTLO stuff & the Ty Ford mentioned "Mickle" Pre mentioned in that TLM thread are superior)
Chris

Do you mean the Deluxe (which there is one or more) or the "premier", the latter simply has soldered connections rather than connectors.

I have a GAP PRE-73 III DLX - the model variant (coz there's more than one) with the selectable pad on the output transformer. I think it's a great little pre - doesn't sound that much like a 1073 to me though but it does add a certain mojo that I like a lot - it also has tonnes of gain - it's a killer bass DI - especially with the output pad on.

Various models of the the GAP pre do sound quite different - and going by the fact that the premier one is all soldered joints I guess there's no reason why anyone can't get their soldering iron out and turn their Deluxe into a Premier!

chessparov2.0 6th December 2019 09:02 PM

Yep. Excellent post.
Chris

masque13 6th December 2019 10:08 PM

man unless you are simply just wanting to spend the money and have an actual piece of hardware to play with, I think you should look hard to doing what was mentioned above and demo the UAD preamps that you can use in unison and see which of those you like best with the 103......you may be surprised at how great they sound and will be far cheaper than actual hardware......I used to own the hardware version of the 737 and a 103 and they paired well together for me.

Nick Tammer 7th December 2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 (Post 14367739)
Chris

Doesn't sound worse than the warm audio.
The Warm sounds pretty bad.
They did a much better job with API clones (tone beast etc) than the Neve

Nick Tammer 7th December 2019 10:37 AM

If you want the neve sound and don't want to spend a fortune for a vintage one... BAE is the way to go.
If you want something really cheap..sound skulptor mp573 is incredible for the price.
Much better than warm audio or GAP.
Pretty close to the real deal tbh.
It's API lunchbox format..so you'll need a lunchbox if you don't have one.

The avalon is not what I choose first for rock...but for rap it's a proven workhorse.

One bad experience with used gear should not deter you from the second hand market.
I buy used and sell all the time and had very few problems in 15 years (other than regular maintenance) absolutely worth it.
And buying second hand is great for the planet

pan60 18th December 2019 07:53 AM

http://www.greweb.com

killer pre's!
kfhkh