Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Live Sound (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/)
-   -   subwoofer for studio and stage? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/1290100-subwoofer-studio-stage.html)

gunion 3rd December 2019 06:29 PM

subwoofer for studio and stage?
 
Anyone have a suggestion for a powered sub that would work well in a small hoe studio as well as ocassional use in small club/ live sound situations?

mrkaizen 3rd December 2019 06:49 PM

JL audio's small powered subs should fit the bil.

deedeeyeah 3rd December 2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunion (Post 14361011)
Anyone have a suggestion for a powered sub that would work well in a small hoe studio as well as ocassional use in small club/ live sound situations?

...not really as the requirements are somewhat different:

you will NOT find any sub for live sr which goes as low as a good studio sub unless you pay huge bucks and dig heavy gear/serious amping - which is not what you want/need to use in a small studio...

doesn't work the other way around either as a studio sub most likely will not have enough ooompf to compete with a drumkit and guitar stacks...

if ca. 40hz is okay though, then a smallish 12" sub might do.

MIKEHARRIS 5th December 2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkaizen (Post 14361056)
JL audio's small powered subs should fit the bil.

We’re JL dealers and while we sell e and f series for studios I have never sold em for live...and doubt between input sensitivity and packaging their suitability. They ain’t cheap either.

Roland 5th December 2019 03:13 PM

Danley do the TH mini. Depending on what size of venue you are doing, it may or may not have enough “oomph”. Many people use their stuff in home theatre set ups. JTS makers of the orbit shifter might have something suitable that will dual purpose.

grasspike 8th December 2019 04:01 AM

Honestly get the best sub you can for your studio.

For the occasional live gig rent one

Bushman 8th December 2019 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grasspike (Post 14370590)
Honestly get the best sub you can for your studio.

For the occasional live gig rent one

Good advice! The OP should understand that studio subs (usually) go lower, BUT... they are not intended to be played for hours at live sound levels, and they are not built for the unavoidable bumps, scrapes, drops, audio accidents and spilled drinks that are part of gigs and transport.

gunion 8th December 2019 06:01 AM

thanks y'all

ferenc 3rd October 2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunion (Post 14370689)
thanks y'all

For home and studio use probably the CS30 is the best or the new Studio Sub. If you have a limited budget and space you can try the NanoSub as well.
The TH Mini needs some space.

wweiss 3rd October 2020 08:43 PM

I don't understand the difference between a studio sub and a good home/audiophile sub?

I have at home a SVS SB4000. It is a sealed box that goes down to 19Hz. it has XLR connections
It cost $1,600. Can I use this in a studio setting? If not what does a studio sub do differently?

mrkaizen 4th October 2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wweiss (Post 15016241)
I don't understand the difference between a studio sub and a good home/audiophile sub?

I have at home a SVS SB4000. It is a sealed box that goes down to 19Hz. it has XLR connections
It cost $1,600. Can I use this in a studio setting? If not what does a studio sub do differently?

SVS are fine for studio. using sb3000 myself

wweiss 6th October 2020 07:25 PM

Sealed SVS subs are known to have a flat response. I am wondering why more studios don't use them?