Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   How would your music sound in a perfect room? A supernatural reverb from denise (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1289483-how-would-your-music-sound-perfect-room-supernatural-reverb-denise.html)

Denise.Audio 29th November 2019 10:44 AM

How would your music sound in a perfect room? A supernatural reverb from denise

How would your music sound in a perfect room?

Classic algorithmic reverb plugins use a combination of short feedbacking delays to create the illusion of reverberation. These delays cause unwanted metallic resonances and sharp spikes in the reverb’s frequency response. The denise team challenged themselves to create something better - a perfect room - and invented their TXVerb™ technology. Using this technology, the denise Perfect Room doesn’t use delays for the tail and will enhance the character and colouration of any audio you run through it in an extremely natural way, sounding defined and tight from the lowest kick all the way up to the highest vocal.

Looking for feedback from professional musicians and engineers, we asked Thomas Qvist of the Royal Danish Conservatory to test the Perfect Room. He tried it out with his students, and even though we at denise think the Perfect Room is powerful, it’s always an exciting moment to find out if the real world actually likes it, too. Thomas wrote something that made us blush. We say, go and test it yourselves... https://www.denise.io/store/denise/PerfectRoom

Quote:

“I have tested it very closely and I am very happy with it! It’s actually in my template now, next to my hardware Lexicon 480L :) What I really like is that it does something else than all the other reverbs I like. The ‘natural’ reverbs tend to be mid range, but this one is somehow more linear and I like it a lot!”
The Perfect Room highlights:
  • TXVerb™ reverb technology: Unique algorithm that enhances natural character & colouration.
  • Zero metallic resonance: Retain the clarity and presence of your lead instruments without metallic cluttering.
  • Completely tight low-end: Add reverb that sounds completely tight when used on low sources like kick-drums, toms, basses & synths.
  • Larger than life mono –> stereo: Create a wide stereo reverb from a mono source without any phase issues.
  • Crazy effects: Built-in Shimmer, Detune & internal Ducker.
  • Single tracks, busses & mastering: Sounds so balanced you can use it on your whole track during mastering.
  • Perfect for external FX: Used on a bus, you can combine the Perfect Room with all kinds of effects to create character and excitement.

We challenge you!

Go try and compare the Perfect Room with your favourite natural reverb. On the denise website you can download the stems from a track produced by nrec to showcase the Perfect Room and decide for yourself.

Black Friday at denise audio begins now!

• Perfect Room €109 full retail now €34.90 inc vat - £29 / $31.90 ex vat.
• Get our Black Friday plugin Slappy €29 for free with any plugin purchase!
• Complete bundle: All 13 denise plugins for: €199 inc vat - £164 / $182 ex vat. (add the code 'BUNDLE' at the checkout).
• Get any single plugin, except for the Perfect Room & Bad Tape for €17.99 inc vat - £14.90 / $16.39 ex vat.

Head to the Perfect Room page on the denise audio website to see more tips & tricks and grab a copy for yourself: https://www.denise.io/store/denise/PerfectRoom

seanandroid 29th November 2019 01:09 PM

This sounds great for the price! Love Denise audio stuff

Denise.Audio 29th November 2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanandroid (Post 14352197)
This sounds great for the price! Love Denise audio stuff

Thanks seanandroid! Glad you like the look of it, let us know if you have any questions about it, either here or on our socials.

https://www.facebook.com/denise.audio/
https://twitter.com/DeniseAudio

Best
Joe

JfromRVA 29th November 2019 02:58 PM

Love Bad Tape so much that I bought Perfect Room instantly. A nice surprise to get Slappy for free! Thank you guys for making great forward thinking tools.

Beatworld 29th November 2019 03:25 PM

cool video. kfhkh

ChocolateHawkins 29th November 2019 04:09 PM

Denise does it again. This is incredibly smooth. I find small rooms to be the toughest for algos to nail. I've been using IRs, but this will likely replace that.

bgrotto 29th November 2019 07:13 PM

Very nice reverb! It's so good that i keep finding that wet/dry control creeping up way higher than is tasteful :lol:

It's certainly a lot different from my other reverbs; at first it's not the most intuitive to use, because its controls seem to respond differently than what I've become accustomed to over the years, but once i got a handle on things i dialed up really great sounding drum rooms, from subtle to huge and obvious. Very coolkfhkh

Little bug worth pointing out, though: when bypassed by the host DAW (in my case right now, PT HD 2019.5.0), latency is suddenly not reported so the tracks go out of sync.

filterfreak 29th November 2019 07:29 PM

Is it just nice or can it compete with the best reverb plugins?

bgrotto 29th November 2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filterfreak (Post 14352851)
Is it just nice or can it compete with the best reverb plugins?

The algorithm is really, really good. But what I'm liking about it is that it's different. I have every reverb plugin known to man. Haha. I also have a plate, a great live room rigged for use as a chamber when needed, and a bunch of great outboard verbs. This does something none of them do, which for me, is a huge (and increasingly rare) strength.

Tough to say how long the honeymoon period will last, but based on these initial tests I'm doing, I foresee this landing a permanent spot in my drum mix template (the low end and the ducking on it are sort of blowing my mind right now...the snare sound i just dialed up is stupid huge), and also making itself super useful for odd-ball or creative reverb needs.

filterfreak 29th November 2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14352866)
The algorithm is really, really good. But what I'm liking about it is that it's different. I have every reverb plugin known to man. Haha. I also have a plate, a great live room rigged for use as a chamber when needed, and a bunch of great outboard verbs. This does something none of them do, which for me, is a huge (and increasingly rare) strength.

Tough to say how long the honeymoon period will last, but based on these initial tests I'm doing, I foresee this landing a permanent spot in my drum mix template (the low end and the ducking on it are sort of blowing my mind right now...the snare sound i just dialed up is stupid huge), and also making itself super useful for odd-ball or creative reverb needs.

thank you for your feedback! will buy

2Temoti 29th November 2019 09:25 PM

Recommend people trial this, for sure.

The thing about it is, when dialing it in - the tail knob changes the algorithm (or sounds like it) so each change in millisecond made to it, completely changes the character of the reverb in a way that is important when finding the right reverb sound in a mix. And in a way that I've never heard another algo reverb plugin do.

It sounds like a reverb that excels at filling in the middle ground of the sound stage rather than background. Comparing it to AITB's Bricasti impulses on Nebula3 at least, which has a more realistic/3D tail to the sound. I would say, though, that the transient of Perfect Rooms is no less full and real sounding than the AITB impulses. Which is no joke.

With that in mind, this thing also works in series - going into other reverbs to varying degrees to create relative depth between tracks.

Two things that could be looked at in future updates:

The physics on the tail slider is god awful. for such an important feature of the plugin it should be much easier to dial in precise changes. changing it from 200ms to 250 ms has a much bigger impact on the sound than 2000ms to 2500ms for example, and so the slider mechanics should reflect this.

Its as CPU hungry as a reverb gets - maybe not a problem for people with higher spec systems though.

All in all, a room reverb well worth pitting against your favorites on a trial.

Idontcare 29th November 2019 09:32 PM

I like the sound of the reverb itself,but it sounds completely disconnected from the source input.i've stumbled upon this issue with a lot of plugin reverbs actually its why i haven't really moved beyond the few i've adapted to(B2,Aether,Altiverb and very recently Relabs offerings) since moving away from outboard verbs which never suffer from that issue regardless of the algorithm

I guess you would call it "envelopment"?

Sky 29th November 2019 11:59 PM

I just demo'd PerfectRoom and Slappy and purchased. Thanks Joe for your nice Black Friday offer.

I agree with Idontcare's observation about "envelopment" of the sound, and also 2Temoti's feature requests. I'll add one more request: An option to lock delay time to session BPM tempo (with divisions) for both Perfect Room and Slappy. Also, CPU load could be optimized - it's nearly 50% of a 2010 5,1 6-core at 256 buffer setting.

In making my purchase decision, I compared Perfect Room (PR) to my current go-to reverb, ReVibe II in Pro Tools. Revibe II is less springy than what's presented in the PR demo and actually compares fairly well, sound-wise with some effort. However, PR is still more "enveloped" which I somewhat like, especially using the ducking control. Plus, the Revibe II UI is overly complex. I appreciate how quickly I can dial in a nice-sounding reverb with PR. Your implementation of direct numeric entry is a nice touch.

Next I compared Slappy to Soundtoys Decapitator as a saturator. Decapitator sounds grittier and more authentic to my ear in how it simulates device distortion. However, Slappy can really pull a sound forward, cleanly. As a general-purpose saturator I like Slappy a lot, while also having a new streamlined delay line in the tool kit.

kfhkh,
Sky

bgrotto 30th November 2019 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idontcare (Post 14353072)
I like the sound of the reverb itself,but it sounds completely disconnected from the source input.i've stumbled upon this issue with a lot of plugin reverbs actually its why i haven't really moved beyond the few i've adapted to(B2,Aether,Altiverb and very recently Relabs offerings) since moving away from outboard verbs which never suffer from that issue regardless of the algorithm

I guess you would call it "envelopment"?

I’m finding PR particularly good at being tweaked with additional processors, and I’m finding that indeed the issue you’re describing is easily mitigated with pre or post eq. Sometimes rather extreme settings (for example I got a huge and interesting snare room using a dark setting on PR with a large 20db-ish boost in the upper mids after PR, followed by compression.

JfromRVA 30th November 2019 12:11 AM

Wow. Lush without sounding synthetic. Mix in some shimmer and detune to make things weird to my hearts content! But I love how it just sounds fanastic without having to micro tweak. Placed on a completed drum mix and PR pulled the sound wider without throwing the mono compatibility out the window. NO BRAINER purchase.

Teej 30th November 2019 06:33 PM

Can't wait to get into this, listened to the demos, instant purchase especially with Slappy thrown in. Really stoked on non copy-cat stuff.

Two problems in PT so far:
1) Slappy and PerfectRoom are in the Effect menu, not the Delay and Reverb menus respectively.
2) Mono --> Stereo versions aren't present, only pure mono and pure stereo.

Rob Humanoid 30th November 2019 07:04 PM

That quality at that price - be silly not to!

doom64 30th November 2019 09:50 PM

Denise Perfect Room + Naughty Seal Perfect Drums = magical perfection.

JfromRVA 1st December 2019 04:13 AM

Workflow with Perfect Room. 1. Mix drums. 2. Raise levels of accompaniment ( I mean really. Other than vocals what is more important than the sound of the beat!). 3. Use mix slider in Perfect Room to 'melt' the drums into the mix. 4. Collect payment like a BOSS from happy client

Marando 1st December 2019 10:35 AM

After reading so many positive reviews, I had to give this one a try.

With roughly 25 reverb plugins in my collection, you could call me a reverb addict or just plain stupid, I accept both. ;) Whenever I try a reverb that brings a smile to my face and at the same time offers me something that the other reverbs in my collection can't offer, I'm seriously tempted to buy it. I must say, this didn't happen with this reverb plugin from Denise.

The first thing that I noticed and don't like is the exceptionally high latency that it inflicts. This makes it an instant no-go for me when I want to use it in real time, for example when playing a synth or piano with it on top.

The second thing I noticed, after initially agreeing on the fact that it sounds very clean, is that it also sounds sterile and lifeless. It really reminds me of an exponentially decaying noise impulse response basically. It doesn't sound like an algorithmic reverb to me. One could argue that it is a good thing when it doesn't sound like an algorithm, but in this case, it's not.

It boggles my mind that people are raving about this reverb, especially when I compared it to some favorite reverbs of mine, like Acon Digital Verberate 2, Relab Sonsig Rev-A, Relab LX480, 2Caudio Breeze 2.5 and the UAD Lexicon 224 for example. But although I personally don't share the excitement that others have expressed, I truly believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I fully respect that. If this reverb is a blessing for you, than I'm happy for you! It's just not for me.

Loopy C 1st December 2019 02:49 PM

Unique sound design potentials, amazing intro offer....glad I ignored the voice in my head that said 'just another reverb?' ;-)

btw...really, REALLY enjoyed the music/artists featured in the videos, some awesome talents on display :)

Idontcare 1st December 2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14353396)
I’m finding PR particularly good at being tweaked with additional processors, and I’m finding that indeed the issue you’re describing is easily mitigated with pre or post eq. Sometimes rather extreme settings (for example I got a huge and interesting snare room using a dark setting on PR with a large 20db-ish boost in the upper mids after PR, followed by compression.

Keyword there is "mitigated"like most things with plugins you are just disguising the issue or exchanging one caveat for another.the thing i am describing (and i think Marando is describing a similar thing) is fundamental to the algorithm. i generally concur with his views as well.not for me and no amount of processing i throw at this thing would alleviate what i hear.horses for course and all that and Denise still have some decent plugins under their roster(the limiter for example),just not this for me kfhkh

bgrotto 1st December 2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idontcare (Post 14356417)
Keyword there is "mitigated"like most things with plugins you are just disguising the issue or exchanging one caveat for another.the thing i am describing (and i think Marando is describing a similar thing) is fundamental to the algorithm. i generally concur with his views as well.not for me and no amount of processing i throw at this thing would alleviate what i hear.horses for course and all that and Denise still have some decent plugins under their roster(the limiter for example),just not this for me kfhkh

I totally hear you on that. For me, I was able to dial up some super cool and unique sounds that I can’t get elsewhere in my collection, and the price was right, so it was a no brainer. But everyone has different needs and expectations, so of course your point is well taken and 100% valid kfhkh

JfromRVA 1st December 2019 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=It boggles my mind that people are raving about this reverb, especially when I compared it to some favorite reverbs of mine, like Acon Digital Verberate 2, Relab Sonsig Rev-A, Relab LX480, 2Caudio Breeze 2.5 and the UAD Lexicon 224 for example. But although I personally don't share the excitement that others have expressed, I truly believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I fully respect that. If this reverb is a blessing for you, than I'm happy for you! It's just not for me.[/QUOTE]

I have had excellent results using Perfect Room on stereo mixed drum stems. I enjoy the way the sound is clean (sterile) for this purpose (of course you can use Shimmer/Detune/Duck if you want to add excitement). Nothing to 'boggle' the mind there. If one reverb unit/algo did the trick we'd have to look (listen) no further. So yes. I rave about a particular use here with Perfect Room that gets me where I want to go fast without a lot of effort. That effort was spent on reverb selection 'inside' the mix.

Denise.Audio 2nd December 2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JfromRVA (Post 14352348)
Love Bad Tape so much that I bought Perfect Room instantly. A nice surprise to get Slappy for free! Thank you guys for making great forward thinking tools.

Nice one, JfromRVA. Glad you like it so much! rockout

Joe

Denise.Audio 4th December 2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14352866)

Hey bgrotto, I hope it's a reverb that stays with you, a few musicians we tested with have said they will be making it part of their signal processing chain so I hope you find as much use as they have. kfhkh

Forgotso 5th December 2019 09:26 PM

Perfect Room is a CPU hog! I have an older 8 core Mac Pro (3,1). Near 100% CPU usage, 100% of the time. Totally unusable! I have hundreds of plugins, this is the only plugin I own with this much CPU usage.

citrusonic 5th December 2019 11:07 PM

anyone else noticing major CPU tax with it?

Beatworld 5th December 2019 11:15 PM

Grabbed it and got a pleasant surprise when logged into my account, the price dropped a little more.
I like PR because it does sound different to the 25 or so other ITB reverbs I’ve got. Can see it getting some work on full mixes and drums, mainly because of the way the bottom end doesn’t get too muddy.
Great GUI, cool demo clips, happy to support denise.

Thanks kfhkh

b15fliptop 5th December 2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotso (Post 14365657)
Perfect Room is a CPU hog! I have an older 8 core Mac Pro (3,1). Near 100% CPU usage, 100% of the time. Totally unusable! I have hundreds of plugins, this is the only plugin I own with this much CPU usage.

I have a 2014 iMac, and CPU is right at 1% for me. Maybe contact support?