Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   UAD Apollo x6 or Audient? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1286957-uad-apollo-x6-audient.html)

tlevin 11th November 2019 01:52 AM

UAD Apollo x6 or Audient?

After saving all year to upgrade my gear it's finally time to buy a new audio interface.
I have an old Apollo Duo silver with thunderbolt connection and the X6 was my next goal. I'm not recording too many instruments live (2/3 max).
Due to its price I did some search online and read soooo many good reviews on the Audient interfaces that I was actually thinking of buying it instead...
I have very few unison preamps plugins and with the money I'll save, I can buy a satellite for all the other plugins.
While I'm not sure which Audient is a good replacement (Could record drums in the future so more inputs could be a bonus), any of you guys have experience with the UAD X gen and Audient? Are there any differences in terms of audio quality? Or should I stick to UAD and use ADAT in the future with an Audient?

Sorry for all the mess, I'm new in this forum :)

andersmv 11th November 2019 06:12 AM

I think the biggest question is how much you rely on the UA plugins and if you want to invest more in them in the future. I've been running Apollo silverfaces since they came out, I finally decide to upgrade the the new X Apollo's (They're getting here in a day or so, can't wait!). I've been on UAD since I started out 15 years ago, so it's been a gradual buildup and investment. Everything Audient makes is fantastic and in terms of their physical hardware vs. the Apollos, I think the Audient stuff is just as good while being cheaper. But, the Audient doesn't do everything the Apollo does. I'm sure someone is going to pop in here and try to argue that point, but that's just how it is. In terms of converters, preamps and other tangible things though, the Audients are right up there in quality.

Some things to consider: Have you thought about keeping your current Apollo (You said it was a duo, so I'm assuming it's the rack silverface and not a twin) and getting an x4 and slaving the silverface to the x4? Might save you some money and give you room to expand down the line as well? Another consideration is if you buy a new rack Apollo before the end of the year, UA will give you a voucher for a free Satellite (I think the x6 gets you a quad satellite). You mentioned wanting to get a satellite, so the x6 might actually still save you some money over the x4 in the long run.

Either way, there's no wrong choice here. Both companies make great gear, but you'll pay a bit of a premium for the UA stuff. The tradeoff is you get some cool plugins though!

tlevin 11th November 2019 11:24 AM

The thing is, I can save 1000 euros by purchasing the Audient id44 and the satellite, instead of buying the UAD X6. The only question is, will there be any huge difference in quality?
Even if money is not a problem, is it worth buying the UAD just for the sake of having a UAD? or will the Audient give the same (or better) results?

psycho_monkey 11th November 2019 12:21 PM

Interface questions go here please and thank you!

The point with the Apollos is it lets you use the plugins at near zero latency whilst tracking. Can’t do that with the satellite.

Also lets you print through them if that’s your vibe, “virtual hardware” if you will.

It’s a very good integrated system...but not inexpensive.

tlevin 11th November 2019 02:26 PM

is it possible to use the satellite live with zero latency as in the audio interface? assuming I won't need the preamps, what could work better?

YRLK 11th November 2019 03:23 PM

Call Sweetwater and see if they can give you a deal on the Apollo.

I love their plugins a lot, but also, I place great trust in the DAC on the Apollo X. It allowed me to sell my proprietary DAC once I upgraded to the X from the silverface. No regrets.

psycho_monkey 11th November 2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlevin (Post 14316084)
is it possible to use the satellite live with zero latency as in the audio interface? assuming I won't need the preamps, what could work better?

No.

That’s what I said above - you need an Apollo interface for near zero (nothing digital is ever zero ) latency.