Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Steinberg Cubase + Nuendo (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/steinberg-cubase-nuendo/)
-   -   About to go from Cubase 10, back to Cubase 5 again (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/steinberg-cubase-nuendo/1286877-about-go-cubase-10-back-cubase-5-again.html)

hellohead 10th November 2019 05:17 PM

About to go from Cubase 10, back to Cubase 5 again

Might be a moan zone thread here.

So I got Cubase 10 not long ago, nice stretch feature for vocals etc but, a few plugins are not showing up, sometimes it freezes on certain plugins etc, I think I'm going back to cubase 5 as it's been reliable to me for 10 years. Has this happened to you with software's?

Scragend 10th November 2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellohead (Post 14314661)

So I got Cubase 10 not long ago, nice stretch feature for vocals etc but, a few plugins are not showing up, sometimes it freezes on certain plugins etc, I think I'm going back to cubase 5 as it's been reliable to me for 10 years. Has this happened to you with software's?

Cubase dropped support for 32 bit plugins at v9 - are your missing favs 32 bit? Try downloading and running V8.5, I believe newer licenses give you access to all older versions.

thehightenor 10th November 2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellohead (Post 14314661)

Huh?

Cubase 10 pro is about 100x more reliable, stable, powerful, feature rich, enhanced work flow and just plain better looking than Cubase 5.

I've used all the versions since Cubase 4 and 10 just knocks it out of the park it is stunning professional software!

Sounds like you have a few plugins that need updating/replacing.

steve.lindqvist 10th November 2019 06:08 PM

Maybe you shouldn't use it on a 10 year old machine...Cubase 10 is running on my Mac more performant and stable than most other DAWs.

hellohead 10th November 2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scragend (Post 14314706)
Cubase dropped support for 32 bit plugins at v9 - are your missing favs 32 bit? Try downloading and running V8.5, I believe newer licenses give you access to all older versions.

Yeah, I bought the URS plugin yesterday, doesnt show up which is too bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehightenor (Post 14314731)
Huh?

Cubase 10 pro is about 100x more reliable, stable, powerful, feature rich, enhanced work flow and just plain better looking than Cubase 5.

I've used all the versions since Cubase 4 and 10 just knocks it out of the park it is stunning professional software!

Sounds like you have a few plugins that need updating/replacing.

I'll have to go through everything, probably upgrade Antares autotune to the newest one. Melodyne isnt showing up and so I'll have to get the 64 bit version. I'll check into changing the color too, it's too... black?

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve.lindqvist (Post 14314739)
Maybe you shouldn't use it on a 10 year old machine...Cubase 10 is running on my Mac more performant and stable than most other DAWs.

I'm running it on a 4 year old machine right now, and its decent, an i7 w. 32 gigs ddr2 or ddr3 I believe. I'm planning on buying a new computer soon, but recently my DA died and i bought the Weiss DAC which wasnt cheap.

Autotune 8 is freezing it, I'll just get the newer one see if it's better. it was jamming my PC for 3 minutes, glad I was able to export all the vocals.

Anyway small rant, I just like when stuff works, when I install new softwares sometimes, you need to tinker with a few things which pisses me off, I just want to get to the creation process.

Scragend 10th November 2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellohead (Post 14314810)
Yeah, I bought the URS plugin yesterday, doesnt show up which is too bad.

Did you install it in a directory known to Cubase? If not you have to add it in plugin manager.

hellohead 10th November 2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scragend (Post 14314824)
Did you install it in a directory known to Cubase? If not you have to add it in plugin manager.

URS strip is 32 bits only. I'll have to go in the plugin manager and add a few paths, I dont even see the Acon restoration either. At least i have Rx6. I guess if it isnt broken dont fix it lol.

Scragend 10th November 2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellohead (Post 14315177)
URS strip is 32 bits only. I'll have to go in the plugin manager and add a few paths, I dont even see the Acon restoration either. At least i have Rx6. I guess if it isnt broken dont fix it lol.

Okay, so there's your problem Cubase 9 onwards doesn't support 32 bit.

8.5 is still a huge upgrade from V5, over that journey Cubase has grown features such as MIDI Note expression, Harmony Generation, Instrument tracks, hitpoint detection, Track versions, Retrologue 2, Render in place, VCA faders, Chordpads, Grooveagent SE, virtual bass amp (superb!), Quadrafuzz 2, envelope shaper, multiband expander - the list goes on - well worth running 8.5 over 5.

hellohead 11th November 2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scragend (Post 14315203)
Okay, so there's your problem Cubase 9 onwards doesn't support 32 bit.

8.5 is still a huge upgrade from V5, over that journey Cubase has grown features such as MIDI Note expression, Harmony Generation, Instrument tracks, hitpoint detection, Track versions, Retrologue 2, Render in place, VCA faders, Chordpads, Grooveagent SE, virtual bass amp (superb!), Quadrafuzz 2, envelope shaper, multiband expander - the list goes on - well worth running 8.5 over 5.

At least I'll use the URS in FL Studio. I surprisingly edit all my vocals in FL Studio. Probably rare these days. I was checking the pensado place where Louis Bell said he used the URS strip still on vocals(I used to use it a long time ago) and so I bought it. When it comes to vocal compression, more is better in my books lol.

Scragend 11th November 2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellohead (Post 14315225)
At least I'll use the URS in FL Studio. I surprisingly edit all my vocals in FL Studio. Probably rare these days. I was checking the pensado place where Louis Bell said he used the URS strip still on vocals(I used to use it a long time ago) and so I bought it. When it comes to vocal compression, more is better in my books lol.

Variaudio 3 in Cubase 10 is brilliant though - particularly in advanced toolset mode - can't remember the last time I opened Melodyne.

TS-12 13th November 2019 09:11 PM

try deleting all the preferences. I had many issues with steinberg support telling me certain things are just changed in cubase 10. when in fact they wernt working properly because of preferences errors

Guillermo N 14th November 2019 09:58 AM

Hello,

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellohead (Post 14315225)

The leap from 5 to 10 is huge, you might feel lost at the beginning specially with the new Mixconsole. You can change the color scheme in Cubase to a lighter blue which will help you transition. With VariAudio 3 (as mentioned) you will not miss Autotune. You can start by installing the 64 bit version of your plug-ins and if they do not have one, you could use J-bridge (this only works if you are using a PC) while you transition to a full 64bit environment.

Also, with the Cubase 10 license you can install and run any previous versions.
Yes, starting with fresh preferences is also a good idea.

Best regards,
GN

hellohead 14th November 2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scragend (Post 14315232)
Variaudio 3 in Cubase 10 is brilliant though - particularly in advanced toolset mode - can't remember the last time I opened Melodyne.

Yeah I've been using it for my new song, it's been helping a lot.

SNTMNTL 26th November 2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve.lindqvist (Post 14314739)

Are you implying that latest Cubase will not run flawlessly on older hardware, such as 2nd or 3rd generation Intel I5 Cpus and corresponding mainboards?

I mean, good for you that you can afford the latest Mac, but I expect Cubase to run flawlessly on any system that meets the minimum requirements explicitly stated by Steinberg. Am I wrong to make that logical assumption?

thehightenor 11th December 2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNTMNTL (Post 14345966)
Are you implying that latest Cubase will not run flawlessly on older hardware, such as 2nd or 3rd generation Intel I5 Cpus and corresponding mainboards?

I mean, good for you that you can afford the latest Mac, but I expect Cubase to run flawlessly on any system that meets the minimum requirements explicitly stated by Steinberg. Am I wrong to make that logical assumption?

On a machine with "minimum" spec, you'll get a "minimally" acceptable performance.

As with all software, every developer pushes the curves of performance and the latest software always feels the most fabulous on the latest hardware .... that's tech for you.

IME. It's never a great idea to mix vintages, on a Mac 10 years old (PC's are slighly more forgiving) i'd be running software from 5 to 7 years old then the performance with match.

It will work ok but I would expect it to be a tad sluggish.

My 6 core i7 which is 4 years old is already getting that feeling of not quite as nippy as it once was becuase of me using all the very latest software, I'm definately saving at the moment for a new latest and greatest workstation .... and then the cycle begins again .... unless I can stick to not upgrading to the latest software .... than my PC's would last 20+ years :)

SNTMNTL 11th December 2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehightenor (Post 14377019)
On a machine with "minimum" spec, you'll get a "minimally" acceptable performance.

As with all software, every developer pushes the curves of performance and the latest software always feels the most fabulous on the latest hardware .... that's tech for you.

IME. It's never a great idea to mix vintages, on a Mac 10 years old (PC's are slighly more forgiving) i'd be running software from 5 to 7 years old then the performance with match.

It will work ok but I would expect it to be a tad sluggish.

My 6 core i7 which is 4 years old is already getting that feeling of not quite as nippy as it once was becuase of me using all the very latest software, I'm definately saving at the moment for a new latest and greatest workstation .... and then the cycle begins again .... unless I can stick to not upgrading to the latest software .... than my PC's would last 20+ years :)

Sorry, but we will have to disagree here. Just because a plugin was released in 2019 doesn't mean it requires more CPU cycles. There is highly performant software from 2019 and software that will completely out-tax your current generation i7 even though it's years old. So, these two issues (A = how recent is a software and B = how much CPU cycles it will require) are not necessarily linked.

Depending on how wisely you choose your plugins (based on their performance), you can perfectly run a 2010 desktop computer. With current plugins. For example: Tokyo Dawn's plugins typically have a realtime "eco mode" and allow you to do offline renders in a higher quality mode. In "eco mode" they won't tax a 2010 CPU much more than a plugin released in 2010. Voxengo and other developers do this too, where you can manually set the quality or amount of oversampling for ideal switch between realtime performance and offline rendering.

Speaking of DAWs: the basic performance of the DAW (regarding it's essential MIDI and audio functions) should not vary much in an updated version, indeed it should be optimized over the years, so that in theory the more current version of Cubase should actually run better, even on older setups, than 10 year old legacy version of Cubase (due to new ways of improving the performance in the kernel / core of the DAWs code).

So there is no reason why Cubase 10 should actually require more CPU cycles than Cubase 6, actually the exact opposite should be the case = performance improvements. Often, earlier versions of software are less optimized and de-bugged than more current versions, hence more current versions are the more performant ones.

hellohead 11th December 2019 02:31 PM

I may actually switch to reaper, an odd turn of events for sure, I just think reaper loads everything better, less fuss.i use recording daws to do vocals and instruments here and there. less plugins get lost in the process.

thehightenor 11th December 2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNTMNTL (Post 14377239)
Sorry, but we will have to disagree here. Just because a plugin was released in 2019 doesn't mean it requires more CPU cycles. There is highly performant software from 2019 and software that will completely out-tax your current generation i7 even though it's years old. So, these two issues (A = how recent is a software and B = how much CPU cycles it will require) are not necessarily linked.

Depending on how wisely you choose your plugins (based on their performance), you can perfectly run a 2010 desktop computer. With current plugins. For example: Tokyo Dawn's plugins typically have a realtime "eco mode" and allow you to do offline renders in a higher quality mode. In "eco mode" they won't tax a 2010 CPU much more than a plugin released in 2010. Voxengo and other developers do this too, where you can manually set the quality or amount of oversampling for ideal switch between realtime performance and offline rendering.

Speaking of DAWs: the basic performance of the DAW (regarding it's essential MIDI and audio functions) should not vary much in an updated version, indeed it should be optimized over the years, so that in theory the more current version of Cubase should actually run better, even on older setups, than 10 year old legacy version of Cubase (due to new ways of improving the performance in the kernel / core of the DAWs code).

So there is no reason why Cubase 10 should actually require more CPU cycles than Cubase 6, actually the exact opposite should be the case = performance improvements. Often, earlier versions of software are less optimized and de-bugged than more current versions, hence more current versions are the more performant ones.

But we all know in reality software and our application of it only heads in one direction otherwise we'd all still being running 486 PC's on Windows 3.1 ; -)