Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Behringer Wing - a new digital mixer or something more (else)? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1286399-behringer-wing-new-digital-mixer-something-more-else.html)

Leveuho 7th November 2019 03:00 PM

Behringer Wing - a new digital mixer or something more (else)?

Hi, my fellow Gearslutz,

as we all probably know, Behrinher is teasing for some time its new, "most amazing" etc. product, showing consecutive letters of a name of it. MusiciansPro gathered all four teasers in one video:

MusiciansPro openly call the new product a "digital mixer", but, well, is it a digital mixer really? Looks more like an advanced touch+physical fader/encoder control surface with deep DAW integration to me.

With all the love & hate for Behringer that I have (I own two of their original products - no clones, me no like Uli making clones), I'd like to know your opinions, ideas on this "Wing" thing. What it could be, actually?

Cheers and have a good day!

CJ Mastering 7th November 2019 03:22 PM

lt looks like its going to be something similar to the Midas Heritage D console. But it looks like its going to b ea touch screen mixer of some sort

Brent Hahn 7th November 2019 04:19 PM

From the glimpses we're given as the visuals go swimming by, it looks like a real committee-designed hobo stew. And while I don't like virtual "knobs" in pretend-hardware GUI's I really don't see the point of them in a from-scratch GUI. Very anti-efficiency.

All reactions based on seeing very little, though.

deedeeyeah 7th November 2019 04:47 PM

merge threads?

Uli's teasing us.... AGAIN!!!!

Leveuho 7th November 2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedeeyeah (Post 14309073)

Oh, missed that. If you all feel like continuing writing there, I'll close this thread when nothing happens until tomorrow. Feel free to join the thread above, I just missed it (the title is not too informative, sorry to say).

deedeeyeah 7th November 2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leveuho (Post 14309187)
Oh, missed that. If you all feel like continuing writing there, I'll close this thread when nothing happens until tomorrow. Feel free to join the thread above, I just missed it (the title is not too informative, sorry to say).

no worries, not 'my' thread: i'm just lurking around for my pleasure and entertainment - and yes, the title of the other thread is misleading at best... (as most of ueli's products)

Leveuho 8th November 2019 05:04 PM

Ok, I got one more thought. And it seems legit.

It might be a digital mixer AND a VST host all together. Something like a half-DAW environment just for mixing/basic editing, without utilizing full timeline operations for music/sound production.

ekwipt 10th November 2019 10:36 AM

I'd love to see a sequencer to go with all of their new synths, they already have some software editors, the latest is the TD-3 notes editor, I could see this all being integrated somehow into the mixer, could be amazing for live/studio work. I'm also happy that Behringer tries to integrate everything in to Logic Pro X as well

everyday 10th November 2019 01:50 PM

A digital mixer that can take uad cards?

Leveuho 11th November 2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everyday (Post 14314357)
A digital mixer that can take uad cards?

Don't think so. You would need to create some very specific hardware for this, I suppose, with PCI-e slots, controllers, BIOS controls etc. Lots of work to make UAD work outside Mac/Windows environtments.

We actually had outboard VST hosts before (Receptor!), so I bet this is more likely to be VST-based, if anything.

RightOnRome 11th November 2019 03:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
it looks like a touch version of an X32.. maybe one big piece of glass on top like the desk on TRON!!

Leveuho 11th November 2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightOnRome (Post 14315458)
it looks like a touch version of an X32.. maybe one big piece of glass on top like the desk on TRON!!

Well, if this is all about a X32 in a new housing, I would be a little bit disappointed, they say this is the most revolutionary, amazing etc. product in Behringer's history...

DrewEpton 11th November 2019 05:23 PM

I'm an easy sell but I sure am excited to find out more about this. I'm beginning to think we may not know much more before NAMM. C'MON Behringer, spill the beans! peachhyingyang

Leveuho 12th November 2019 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewEpton (Post 14316391)
I'm beginning to think we may not know much more before NAMM.

Well, this actually sounds reasonable. Anyway, looking forward to what they deliver. I used to take Behringer's gear not too seriously, but after getting Deepmind 12 (a really, really serious piece of synth) I definitely changed my mind.

Musician 12th November 2019 08:55 AM

An alternative to Slate's Raven touchscreen DAW I presume. :heh:

Leveuho 12th November 2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musician (Post 14317723)
An alternative to Slate's Raven touchscreen DAW I presume. :heh:

Raven is not a DAW itself, but a DAW controller...

sleepyhollos 13th November 2019 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leveuho (Post 14308826)
With all the love & hate for Behringer that I have (I own two of their original products - no clones, me no like Uli making clones)!

Just curious, but why do you not like Uli making clones when a good percentage of companies active today are involved in the clone market one way or another and usually undisguised. I'm just a little curious as to why people take offense to Behringer making clones but accept it from almost everybody else?

For me, ever since Behringer started with the synth clones and owning a couple, as well as a Deep mind 12, I now take Behringer serious and get somewhat excited when I hear announcement for a new product. A new Deep mind announced before the new year would make my decade ;)

I'm hoping that this Wing is a mixer/ controller with some kind of plug in support and moving faders. Small footprint, programmable... Sleek looks, affordable entry price (this is almost a definite) and a degree of reliability. The x32 isn't perfect sounding but is well constructed. As are the few recent synth units of theirs that I own so I'm excited to see the full reveal.

I never used to give Behringer time of day but these last 18 months or so that has all changed. For me anyway.

Leveuho 14th November 2019 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyhollos (Post 14319193)
Just curious, but why do you not like Uli making clones when a good percentage of companies active today are involved in the clone market one way or another and usually undisguised. I'm just a little curious as to why people take offense to Behringer making clones but accept it from almost everybody else?

The way Behringer is making clones, well. They made a full business strategy based on making and selling clones, I don't think there's any other company doing it on such scale. Ok, we have software emulations of analog hardware, we may call them clones, they come from UAD, Plugin Alliance, Waves, but these are made with copyright/intellectual property respect and often involve original makers in the process (Distressor is a great example of such case).

There is also Stam Audio, Warm Audio and some others and you know what? I won't buy their cloned stuff, the same way I never bought a clone from Behringer. This is intellectual thievery, as simple as that. Neve, Teletronix, Pultec, API, Korg, Roland, ARP and many other companies and people around them dedicated their lives to create some of the most amazing instruments and processors of all times. Then a some audio guys discovered that making clones, renaming them a bit (or not - vide Behringer Odyssey), while sticking to original architectures, designs, electric circuits and all electronic parts, without paying any licensing, is possible and profitable.

Guys from ARP recreated their Odyssey together with Korg. A year later Uli came and said - I'll make it just cheaper and you won't stop me, let's just f*ck your work and heritage!

This is the part of Behringer's business I'll never accept.

Anyway, having their Neutron, Deepmind, still interested in Wing.

VoxNumana 14th November 2019 10:44 AM

Wireless Interface Next Generation?

Anyway, 22nd November 2019 looks to be the reveal date

Leveuho 14th November 2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoxNumana (Post 14321766)
Wireless Interface Next Generation?

Anyway, 22nd November 2019 looks to be the reveal date

Exactly! So, the NAMM date seems invalid, which is a good thing. Teasing people with vids and name letters for another two months would be a promo overkill ;)

The_Champ 14th November 2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leveuho (Post 14321302)
The way Behringer is making clones, well. They made a full business strategy based on making and selling clones, I don't think there's any other company doing it on such scale. Ok, we have software emulations of analog hardware, we may call them clones, they come from UAD, Plugin Alliance, Waves, but these are made with copyright/intellectual property respect and often involve original makers in the process (Distressor is a great example of such case).

There is also Stam Audio, Warm Audio and some others and you know what? I won't buy their cloned stuff, the same way I never bought a clone from Behringer. This is intellectual thievery, as simple as that. Neve, Teletronix, Pultec, API, Korg, Roland, ARP and many other companies and people around them dedicated their lives to create some of the most amazing instruments and processors of all times. Then a some audio guys discovered that making clones, renaming them a bit (or not - vide Behringer Odyssey), while sticking to original architectures, designs, electric circuits and all electronic parts, without paying any licensing, is possible and profitable.

Guys from ARP recreated their Odyssey together with Korg. A year later Uli came and said - I'll make it just cheaper and you won't stop me, let's just f*ck your work and heritage!

This is the part of Behringer's business I'll never accept.

Anyway, having their Neutron, Deepmind, still interested in Wing.

Ok so your excuse is Intellectual Thievery.

What about these companies milking the names of all these iconic synths?
What about these companies refusing to reproduce the old icons again?
What about these companies not listening to us? Should we listen to them?

For me it's very simple:
- I like these old iconic synths.
- I'm buying from whoever offers.
- Only Behringer offers.
- Done deal!

You're mentioning Odyssey. Did you see the Behringer version?
So.. just cheaper or actually a better product?

Leveuho 14th November 2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Champ (Post 14322351)
For me it's very simple:
- I like these old iconic synths.
- I'm buying from whoever offers.
- Only Behringer offers.
- Done deal!

Sure, fair enough! We don't have to agree on this and I respect your point. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a hater of Behringer, I'm just not always their fan.

Let's leave clones and endless Behringer's clones discussion and get back to Wing. I can surely say I'm waiting for it and the date is really close. I suppose we'll all have more to say on November 22...

init0 15th November 2019 03:25 AM

I'm amazed at the fact there are no leaks on this.

Those are some loyal employees in this day and age.

VoxNumana 15th November 2019 07:28 AM

Launch date now brought forward to the 17th November 2019! Be still my beating heart

Tsjah 15th November 2019 10:35 AM

On a sunday? would not surprise me if later today.............you can fly away. On a Behringer Wing :)
We wil see...

Leveuho 15th November 2019 11:42 AM

I think Uli personally can't wait and wants to share this asap. Also, the promo period became quite too long. But Sunday, not Monday? Erm.

DrewEpton 15th November 2019 08:47 PM

I'm curious where you are finding these potential reveal dates? I've been sniffing around every day just HOPING I come across something. At 39 years of age it sure does feel dang good to be actually excited about new music tech that may potentially be in my budget (daddy to two little girls.......doesn't get to throw money at my own toys anymore).

So I wait and hope a spoiler slips through the cracks and someone much brighter than me catches it. :popcorn:

VoxNumana 15th November 2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewEpton (Post 14324976)
I'm curious where you are finding these potential reveal dates?

https://www.facebook.com/BEHRINGER/p...type=3&theater

DrewEpton 15th November 2019 09:57 PM

:facepalm:
thank you

Cpl. Punishment 15th November 2019 10:05 PM

Is it all possible this "Wing" is a Behringer-rebadged Midas Heritage D96-24? They did it with the M-32/X-32...