Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/)
-   -   simple to use DAW and editing programs (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/1285671-simple-use-daw-editing-programs.html)

gdavis 5th November 2019 12:28 PM

simple to use DAW and editing programs

Hi, I have wavelab 9 elements and Audacity and formerly used Sonar Platinum but they went belly up and looking for DAW simple to use and stuff like wavelab but easier to use, it seems a nightmare to me, when I import a track to Audaciy, I have access to VST's and such and I hit apply and hear the difference, if I don't like it there is a simple UNDO function taking it back to original.
When I try to do that in Wavelab it seems difficult to find the right buttons to push to do simple undo's. Anything out there maybe more advanced than Audacity, able to take newer plugins like Wave Horizon which I have copy of and am contemplating getting Izotop Ozone 9.
So need help either in learning Wavelab or getting another one a lot easier and more intuitive to use that will take Waves plugins and Izotope ones. Thanks for your answers.

MediaGary 5th November 2019 01:17 PM

If you want to continue to use Sonar, Cakewalk by BandLab is the very healthy and supported (and free) continuation.
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.p...lk-by-bandlab/

BT64 5th November 2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 14304480)
...when I import a track to Audaciy, I have access to VST's and such and I hit apply and hear the difference, if I don't like it there is a simple UNDO function taking it back to original.
When I try to do that in Wavelab it seems difficult to find the right buttons to push to do simple undo's. ....

In Audacity you can't live audition the plug-in (so if you don't like it you need to undo).
Destuctive editing.
In Wavelab you don't need to proces the effect (and undo it), you can audition it by putting it in and hit play. :)
If you don't like it remove the plugin.
Non destructief editing.

emenelton 5th November 2019 02:16 PM

I have also tried to find the undo button in Wavelab.

Wavelab is not a DAW, it is a ‘destructive’ editor; might be like other destructive editors but is not like Sonar or Cubase or PT—

BT64 5th November 2019 02:40 PM

"Both destructive and non-destructive editing are available, allowing you to choose which is more appropriate for your project."

emenelton 5th November 2019 02:55 PM

i’m In the same boat looking for the undo button

BT64 5th November 2019 04:22 PM

Perhaps this wil help.

emenelton 5th November 2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BT64 (Post 14304855)

I am not seeing the undo feature still.

gdavis 5th November 2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emenelton (Post 14304869)
I am not seeing the undo feature still.

I think he said just removing the plugin does the same thing as undo in audacity, maybe:)confoosed

johnnyv 6th November 2019 04:44 AM

As said cakewalk is now free. They have spent the last 2 years focusing on bugs and workflow related fixes. As a result it has become one of the most powerful stable DAW’s around. There is a lot of support and tutorials so no excuses. All software has a learning curve. Wave lab and Audacity are wave editors for mastering and working with mostly stereo files. I would never use either for a multitrack DAW.

chessparov2.0 6th November 2019 05:53 AM

Bremmer's Multitrackstudio is a reasonable alternative. Chris

joeq 7th November 2019 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 14304480)
So need help either in learning Wavelab or getting another one a lot easier and more intuitive to use .

"easier" and "more intuitive" are actually very very relative. Each individual has ways of thinking and working that make one software "intuitive" for one person and maybe "counter intuitive" for someone else. The recommendations you get in a thread like this, as sensible as they are, are coming from people who are 'not you'.

Another often unacknowledged aspect of "easy" is familiarity. A program that works just like your old program will seem easier to you - because you are used to those workflows. If you had started with a different program, maybe you would have a different idea of which is easier.

If you grew up flying airplanes, and never, ever drove a car, driving a car might seem really weird for you. How can I make a right turn without my ailerons? I think you should take a little time and watch some 'intro' YouTubes for a number of different programs. Certain ones may really jump out at you - making you say - 'that's what I'm talking about!'

gdavis 7th November 2019 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeq (Post 14307857)
"easier" and "more intuitive" are actually very very relative. Each individual has ways of thinking and working that make one software "intuitive" for one person and maybe "counter intuitive" for someone else. The recommendations you get in a thread like this, as sensible as they are, are coming from people who are 'not you'.

Another often unacknowledged aspect of "easy" is familiarity. A program that works just like your old program will seem easier to you - because you are used to those workflows. If you had started with a different program, maybe you would have a different idea of which is easier.

If you grew up flying airplanes, and never, ever drove a car, driving a car might seem really weird for you. How can I make a right turn without my ailerons? I think you should take a little time and watch some 'intro' YouTubes for a number of different programs. Certain ones may really jump out at you - making you say - 'that's what I'm talking about!'

Great advice! I got Izotope Ozone 9 and found it very easy to use, had some tracks recorded decades ago on a high end cassette recorder and there was some problems with levels and such but Ozone made those tracks a LOT better! Didn't have to use wavelab because 9 is standalone or can be used as plugin.
So when I get through with 9, i stick it in audacity just to do the end clipping and such and maybe a bit of reverb, ended up much improved.
You can hear the results at soundcloud.com/user399104119

Up to 117 tracks there now and the first four are reworked old tracks.

BT64 7th November 2019 03:04 PM

Ctrl + Z (Undo)
Ctrl + Y (Redo)
Or
Command + Z
Command + Y
On Mac