Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Remote Possibilities in Location Recording & Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-location-recording-amp-production/)
-   -   Gear Question for Classical Voice Lessons via A/V Teleconferencing (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-location-recording-amp-production/1285246-gear-question-classical-voice-lessons-via-v-teleconferencing.html)

ClassicalTenor 2nd November 2019 06:02 PM

Gear Question for Classical Voice Lessons via A/V Teleconferencing

1 Attachment(s)
:)

Trying to take long distance classical voice lessons and not getting good enough sound quality. I understand this is not pro-level gear. so you may not be familiar with the models. I spent about $1500 total for 2 sets (one for me & one for the teacher). About to return the mics and interfaces. Would greatly appreciate recommendations on what to get. Need to keep the budget under 2,000 - 3000 for the combined setups..

The Goal
Conduct classical voice lessons via teleconferencing e.g., Zoom, GoToMeeting.
Need natural sound that has sufficient quality for teacher to be able to guide me in vocal production
Teacher will have identical gear so I can hear him well, too

The Room:

15' x 23' with 8' ceiling
Wood floor, some glass, some brick (fairly live)

The Gear

Microphone - AKG C214 Cardiod Condenser w/ stand
Interface - PreSonus Audiobox USB-96
Headphones - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Garage Band with no reverb, or effects of any kind.
Mic distance - varied from 6" to 6" & varied gain, accordingly, but nothing helps

The Results

Dry sound that doesn't have any of the room in it. Almost sounds like i'm in a studio
Doesn't have sufficient quality for the teacher to be able to guide me vocal production.
None of the squillo or ring (in the voice - not the room) is captured.

Recommendations?
I suspect i need a better mic w/ a different pattern and to record from at least a meter away.
What you recommend?

blanneau 2nd November 2019 06:25 PM

Most likely culprit is (1) the software you are using to communicate and your Internet connection. I think typical teleconferencing software does a huge amount of compression. I would look for something that does high quality audio. I am sure others will have good suggestions. I just did a Google and found https://cleanfeed.net/ as an example. It might good for testing the audio side which you need to solve first. They don't appear to do video.
Bazile

ClassicalTenor 2nd November 2019 06:33 PM

Blanneau,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't even really gotten to the teleconferencing part yet, so the issues I described are purely in house. I guess I do need to look into that sooner, rather than later, since the best mic won't help if the telecon software is going to compress a lot!

Philip

apotheosis 2nd November 2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicalTenor (Post 14299848)
Blanneau,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't even really gotten to the teleconferencing part yet, so the issues I described are purely in house. I guess I do need to look into that sooner, rather than later, since the best mic won't help if the telecon software is going to compress a lot!

Philip

Nothing wrong with your equipment. Can it be better: yes of course, but that is not the main problem. People have made great recordings with exactly your setup.

Microphone placement is the first problem to solve, together with getting the best room possible. Your voice is an instrument. Classical instruments need a good room to sound good. Ever heard a piano in a dry piano sounding well enough to judge how people make sound and colour out of it? The same applies to your voice.
And... I would get a second microphone. Stereo always sounds better than mono. Read on typical microphone setups (NOS, AB, ORTF, even XY) and experiment with height, distance if AB, and your distance to the microphones -- and that is again why you need a good room: you don't want to be poppy close...

Good luck!

chessparov2.0 2nd November 2019 07:54 PM

I'd PM "theShadowV" (Vincent R.) here, who's super helpful/knowledgeable, AND an Opera Singer.

Superb Tenor, and is the most technically advanced at GS, of all of us "singing/microphone" geeks.:heh:
(meant in the best sense!:))
Chris

ClassicalTenor 2nd November 2019 11:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm conversing w/ Vincent now. I'll post an audio file. Just gotta figure out how. :)

chessparov2.0 3rd November 2019 02:34 AM

Great! I heard enough, to hear you have a beautiful Tenor. :) Chris