Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   New Product Alert (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/)
-   -   MANTIS 2 - A new Acqua library by SoundDrops is out! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/1285022-mantis-2-new-acqua-library-sounddrops-out.html)

SteDal 31st October 2019 06:28 PM

MANTIS 2 - A new Acqua library by SoundDrops is out!

2 Attachment(s)
MANTIS 2 PWM compressor bundle is out!

A year after the successful debut of SoundDrops’ first Nebula/Acqua library…

...MANTIS 2 PWM COMPRESSOR is back!

As much as it was a plain, single-instance Nebula program, MANTIS 1 PWM compressor was prized as a very effective and musical processor, particularly suitable for bus dynamic control and mastering duties. In this brand new MANTIS 2 BUNDLE by SoundDrops you’ll see how the original MANTIS has come of age...

MANTIS 2 BUNDLE
is a brand new suite of four plug-ins based on the original valued compressor stage. All of them are now full-fledged Acqua libraries, and are supplemented by a versatile pre-amp and clipper section for added harmonic color, if requested.

But there’s more. Given that MANTIS is first and foremost a very smooth and forgiving mastering compressor, a multi-band version was inevitable, sooner or later…

...and there you have it, complete with perfectly transparent, continuously adjustable cross-over filters!

MANTIS 2 BUNDLE is an Acqua library for N4/N4 Player, and as such must be installed by means of Acustica’s Aquarius platform.
A trial version is available
as well, highly recommended before buying.
Please scroll down the product's page for the operation manual.

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS LIMITED TIME EARLY ACCESS OFFER.

YOU PAY 55€ INSTEAD OF THE REGULAR 90€ (almost 40% off)!

And in typical Acustica fashion, please be aware that the greatly expanded MANTIS 2 BUNDLE
is free for all former MANTIS owners!

ENJOY!

filterfreak 31st October 2019 06:55 PM

Great. Will download...

amit monga 31st October 2019 07:11 PM

Its 48/88 Pack. Can i use it in 44 sample rate project?

SteDal 31st October 2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit monga (Post 14296345)
Its 48/88 Pack. Can i use it in 44 sample rate project?

You should get all 4 sample rates in your download...

alibling 31st October 2019 07:37 PM

What hw get emulated here?

SteDal 31st October 2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alibling (Post 14296394)
What hw get emulated here?

@ alibling
It's all written in the manual (Acustica's product page, scroll down).

Anyway, as in most of my 'Meta-Ware' releases, it's not a commercially available device, but rather a processor designed and built expressly with the aim of creating an Acqua library out of it, so maximizing its useful features and dispensing with all unnecessary parts (such as capacitors on the audio signal or auxiliary circuits, to name a few).

In MANTIS 2 BUNDLE's case, it's a PWM compressor which is especially suited for bus and mastering duties, thanks to its extremely smooth action and soft-knee curve.

MANTIS 1 was released as a single Nebula library about a year ago, and as such consisted only in the plain compressor (no harmonics added, no extra tone colour).
MANTIS 2 BUNDLE builds on that, with the addiction of optional pre-amp and clipping stages for harmonic enhancement, and on top of this, a powerful two-band version for a higher level of transient and frequency control.

Hope it helps.

audiodistortion 31st October 2019 08:27 PM

Free update you say cooge

boing

Mantis is one of my favourites.

linkstate 31st October 2019 09:42 PM

In latest Bitwig v 3.0.3 it does not correctly hold settings after loading saved project. Never had problem with other Aquas nor Mantis 1. 48kHz project.

djrustycans 31st October 2019 10:15 PM

Thanks so much SteDal, can’t wait to try this. Not sure a free upgrade is fair for all of your hard work! Let’s hope you are rewarded with large sales.

SteDal 31st October 2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linkstate (Post 14296676)
In latest Bitwig v 3.0.3 it does not correctly hold settings after loading saved project. Never had problem with other Aquas nor Mantis 1. 48kHz project.

Unfortunately you've stumbled into the bug that affects latest versions of N4 when 3rd-party libraries are loaded in certain systems.
Acustica is aware of the problem and is working for a solution.

In the meantime, your best bet is to temporarily downgrade N4 to a previous version, namely version N000 (Feb 4th, 2019) for PC and the contemporary one for Mac.
Sorry, but ATM I don't have a MacOSX-based computer at hand, so I can't give you the exact version number, but I guess other Apple users might chime in and fill the blanks...

Anyway, both those N4 versions dating back to last February don't suffer at all from this bug.

EDIT: the last working version as far as this bug for MacOSX is the L000, Feb2019.

linkstate 31st October 2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteDal (Post 14296814)
Unfortunately you've stumbled into the bug that affects latest versions of N4 when 3rd-party libraries are loaded in certain systems.
Acustica is aware of the problem and is working for a solution.

In the meantime, your best bet is to temporarily downgrade N4 to a previous version, namely version N000 (Feb 4th, 2019) for PC and the contemporary one for Mac.
Sorry, but ATM I don't have a MacOSX-based computer at hand, so I can't give you the exact version number, but I guess other Apple users might chime in and fill the blanks...

Anyway, both those N4 versions dating back to last February don't suffer at all from this bug.

I have N4 player and not updated from N (02 july 2019)

SteDal 31st October 2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linkstate (Post 14296830)
I have N4 player and not updated from N (02 july 2019)

Generally N4Player releases follow a different naming scheme than those of N4, so you should try to go back to a release of N4Player dating back to February 2019, whichever letter it might be.

V4nger 31st October 2019 11:25 PM

Great sound! I sent you a PM SteDal.

SteDal 31st October 2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V4nger (Post 14296847)
Great sound! I sent you a PM SteDal.

Just replied!

profvonsok 31st October 2019 11:38 PM

Seems like Mantis is better mixed into on the master bus rather than adding it at the end??

djrustycans 31st October 2019 11:39 PM

Oh man..... This is insane! I LOVE the MB-EX. The transparent control is supreme. Even when pushing hard with this into the clipper, things stay intact. Must play some more.

djrustycans 31st October 2019 11:52 PM

Just compared the regular Mantis 2 with Magic Death Eye on a finished mix using 1-2db gain reduction and the result was not close... Much preferred Mantis 2 - superb natural sound with great width. It seems Mantis 2 regular also has a clipper even though there's no button for it? Very happy with this kfhkh

EDIT: clearly these two compressors aren't attempting to be the same - just my wild enthusiastic observations!

SteDal 31st October 2019 11:54 PM

An important note taken directly from MANTIS2 manual, for those too in a hurry (or too lazy!) to have a look at it:

Due to present limitations in Nebula/Acqua internal architecture, MANTIS MB-Ex gives an additional fixed latency of 1700 samples that isn’t declared by the plug-in and consequently isn’t compensated by the host DAW.
In most typical mastering situations this isn’t a problem, but anyway if such an inconvenience is a show-stopper (for instance, if MANTIS MB-Ex is inserted in any single track or subgroup in a mix), it can be easily remedied by inserting a compensating plug-in immediately after MANTIS MB-Ex. A good candidate for this is the free Voxengo Latency Delay set at 1700 samples, irrespective of the sample rate used in the project

SteDal 31st October 2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrustycans (Post 14296880)
Just compared the regular Mantis 2 with Magic Death Eye on a finished mix using 1-2db gain reduction and the result was not close... Much preferred Mantis 2 - superb natural sound with great width. It seems Mantis 2 regular also has a clipper even though there's no button for it? Very happy with this kfhkh

Yes, it has! :heh:

It shares the same button with the pre-amp, but it's definitely there.

DarkandKurious 1st November 2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteDal (Post 14296246)
And in typical Acustica fashion, please be aware that the greatly expanded MANTIS 2 BUNDLE
is free for all former MANTIS owners!

ENJOY!

Thanks for this Stedal, It's great to have it as an N4 Acqua. I haven't delved into it yet, I'm looking forward to hearing what the MB are like.

I found a bug though - the N4 Acqua for the single band (at least in ProTools) has the controls linked, so that Input Trim and attack can't be operated independently; threshold, HPF, ratio and release are linked; makeup is linked with mix, but not mix with makeup.

If I load the library in N4 it works as expected.

Thanks again for the great update!

SteDal 1st November 2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkandKurious (Post 14297320)
Thanks for this Stedal, It's great to have it as an N4 Acqua. I haven't delved into it yet, I'm looking forward to hearing what the MB are like.

I found a bug though - the N4 Acqua for the single band (at least in ProTools) has the controls linked, so that Input Trim and attack can't be operated independently; threshold, HPF, ratio and release are linked; makeup is linked with mix, but not mix with makeup.

If I load the library in N4 it works as expected.

Thanks again for the great update!

Thanks, I'll report this to Acustica, since it is related to N4/Player's internal engine and affects also other DAWS. It's a random bug that happens with all 3rd party libraries.

I'd suggest to raise a ticket, however, specifying DAW, system, library, etc.

DarkandKurious 1st November 2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteDal (Post 14297426)
Thanks, I'll report this to Acustica, since it is related to N4/Player's internal engine and affects also other DAWS. It's a random bug that happens with all 3rd party libraries.

I'd suggest to raise a ticket, however, specifying DAW, system, library, etc.

Thanks Stedal, I raised a ticket - I didn't realise I needed to make a ticket for N4 and couldn't see an option to raise a ticket for Mantis, otherwise I wouldn't have posted here.

Thanks again for the great update, I'll stick to the N4 version for now.

omkar 1st November 2019 12:10 PM

Hi, first impression:
the comp does something right when instanced,
first I thought (on master bus) it makes a mix a bit louder but it doesn`t.

Then I noticed it lifts up or levels the more quiter instruments (compared to the stars),
is there some sort of level management before compression?

Few Knobs 1st November 2019 05:41 PM

This is a great comp and am glad that i bought it when it came out.

Thanks Sounddrops.

thermos 2nd November 2019 08:55 AM

Sounds great, like the preamp.

Edit: there is no way to unlink the sides with N4, right? That would be sooooo great.

dasdeck 2nd November 2019 12:46 PM

I think I want it!

But it just disappeared after I updated N4 player (I tried to fix the crackling issue with the ZL version).

I tried reinstalling mantis, but no luck :/

It seems one can also install standalone VSTs? They still work, but there is no ZL version :/

Cheers!

JM

b0se 2nd November 2019 01:06 PM

Very generous @ SteDal ! Thanks for your work on Sand3 also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrustycans (Post 14296880)

EDIT: clearly these two compressors aren't attempting to be the same - just my wild enthusiastic observations!

That's peaked the old interest! Look forward to testing this tonight.

alexishere 2nd November 2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0se (Post 14299391)
Very generous @ SteDal ! Thanks for your work on Sand3 also.

That's peaked the old interest! Look forward to testing this tonight.

Is Stedal the reason behind why the comps sound so amazing?

Few Knobs 2nd November 2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexishere (Post 14299539)
Is Stedal the reason behind why the comps sound so amazing?

I think so.

djrustycans 2nd November 2019 07:12 PM

One of the major differences with Mantis compared to many AA comps is that the action is FAR more forgiving. I often experience undesirable release characteristics when using Acqua compressors on full mixes.

I haven’t compared V2 to the original Mantis but I definitely feel I’m guilty of turning a blind eye to V1 despite always being happy with the results it gave. The clipper is insanely useful and I’ll be using V2 on everything!!