Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   New Product Alert (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/)
-   -   HoRNet Plugins introduces VU Meter MK4 digital VU Meter with automatic gain (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/1284721-hornet-plugins-introduces-vu-meter-mk4-digital-vu-meter-automatic-gain.html)

HoRNet 29th October 2019 10:33 AM

HoRNet Plugins introduces VU Meter MK4 digital VU Meter with automatic gain

https://www.hornetplugins.com/wp-con...-MK4-4.0.0.png

HoRNet Plugins has just released the new HoRNet VU Meter MK4.

The HoRNet VU Meter MK4 is a digital VU meter plugin with automatic gain setting and grouping functions, the new GUI is now scalable and has been optimised to take less space than the previous version and let you focus on the meter bars. In addition to the GUI VU Meter MK4 also allows you to give names to your tracks and groups, send every parameter change to any instance of VU Meter MK4 (not just the ones in the same group) and display the level of any of the other instances in the project without closing the GUI and choosing a new track.

VU Meter MK4 is available now for just 5,99€ (about 6.65 USD) on www.hornetplugins.com, if you already own VU Meter MK3 you can upgrade to the new VU Meter MK4 for just 1,99€

Features:
  • VU Meter spec. conformity (300ms attack and release time)
  • VU Peak hold
  • RED Blink clipping indicator
  • reference level settable from -60 to 0 dBFS
  • input gain from -30dB to +30dB
  • bar color freely selectable
  • Stereo automatic gain adjustment with 6 different settings
  • Peak protection between (no peak can exceed the set limit)
  • Auto Gain and meter setting can be set to whole group or to every instance at once
  • Eight different assignable groups
  • Stereo display
  • Every instance can be named
  • Groups names freely editable
  • Ever instance of the plugin can display the value of every other named instance
  • Mac OS X (10.7 and later) and Windows (Vista and later) support
  • 64bit plugins for macOS, 32 and 64bit for Windows
  • Audio Units, VST, VST3 and AAX format

Get HoRNet VU Meter MK4 now

doom64 29th October 2019 02:37 PM

Thanks for still supporting Vista. The so called leading plug-in company just dropped official support for Windows 7.

Just for that alone I will upgrade. The added features will no doubt prove to be very useful.

VenVile 29th October 2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom64 (Post 14291900)
Thanks for still supporting Vista. The so called leading plug-in company just dropped official support for Windows 7.

Just for that alone I will upgrade. The added features will no doubt prove to be very useful.

No shade at the manufacturers who stop supporting Win 7 and previous versions, but it's a gamble supporting an OS that the OS developer (Microsoft) doesn't even support.

In theory, a lot of these plugins will still work on older versions of Windows, even if they're not officially supported. But I can understand the developer's perspective, where security and compatibility issues come into play when Microsoft no longer supports the OS. It also takes up developer resources and time to ensure great functionality on an OS that isn't officially supported by Microsoft.

doom64 29th October 2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VenVile (Post 14291922)
No shade at the manufacturers who stop supporting Win 7 and previous versions, but it's a gamble supporting an OS that the OS developer (Microsoft) doesn't even support.

In theory, a lot of these plugins will still work on older versions of Windows, even if they're not officially supported. But I can understand the developer's perspective, where security and compatibility issues come into play when Microsoft no longer supports the OS. It also takes up developer resources and time to ensure great functionality on an OS that isn't officially supported by Microsoft.

I would love to support an optimized operating system for production work not posting cat pics to Facebook.. Windows 10 ain't it.

ionian 29th October 2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VenVile (Post 14291922)

Actually you're incorrect. Microsoft supports Win 7 until January 2020.

denork 29th October 2019 05:17 PM

thanks!!

Gemylon 29th October 2019 05:45 PM

Upgraded !

Thanks Hornet freshflowe

doom64 29th October 2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionian (Post 14292167)
Actually you're incorrect. Microsoft supports Win 7 until January 2020.

Nice!

People act like Windows 7 is some old, crusty and wrinkly operating system. It is a robust "real man's" OS that starts up and gets the job done. And even though it was released over a decade ago it still looks sleek.

ionian 29th October 2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom64 (Post 14292476)
Nice!

People act like Windows 7 is some old, crusty and wrinkly operating system. It is a robust "real man's" OS that starts up and gets the job done. And even though it was released over a decade ago it still looks sleek.

I totally agree. It's a great, and very solid OS. Unfortunately some developers have jumped the gun and felt that since support will end sometime soon, let's just not support it now.

Fxpansion has pulled this crap like a year and the half ago. They updated BFD3 and it doesn't work with win 7 and their attitude was more or less, "Well support is ending in about two years so just update to 10." When pressed, they pretty much admitted that they have no idea how to get their update to work with win 7 so they just pushed everyone to update to win 10 rather than try to fix the problem with the update. It's annoying to say the least.

candyflip 29th October 2019 08:59 PM

One of my most-used tools. Thanks for the upgrade!

Gee 30th October 2019 12:39 AM

Thanks for the upgrade!

VenVile 30th October 2019 05:34 AM

I hope you guys realised that doom64 also mentioned Vista, which I alluded to (Win 7 and previous versions).

And Jan 2020 is right around the corner. That's like me building a car, telling people I'm going to stop supporting the car in two months, but by all means, continue to invest in custom stuff for it...good luck when you can't find support for it.

Like I said, in theory, you can still use a lot of old and new plugins with older versions of Windows, but if you do encounter problems while on Vista or even 7, (especially if the manufacturer outrightly doesn't support it and suggests that you upgrade) please don't whine about it.

HoRNet 30th October 2019 11:12 AM

Ok guys, supporting older Microsfot OSs is much easier than supporting Apple's.

First, it all comes down to the library you use and since we develop our plugins using IPlug2, that is based on WDL (the same library on which Reaper is based) we don't need many system libraries except the visual c++ runtime and the standard cmndlg. This stuff hasn't changes for ages and we still build our plugin with older version of the MS compiler (we recently moved to VS2017 but keep on using older vista sdk)
For this reason we can offer this kind of support. If we start using new fancy C++20 features things may change, but right now everything in our plugins in written in plain old C++11

We had to drop 32bit support for mac though since we had to move to XCode 10 for the code signature required by catalina and that version cannot build 32bit plugins :(

Saverio

Alex_HS 30th October 2019 09:48 PM

Mono sound in Studio One (VST3, OSX10.13), full version.

HoRNet 31st October 2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_HS (Post 14294783)

We found an issue with the VST3 wrapper, working on a fix, it'll be ready soon!
In the meantime, VST2 works perfectly.

Saverio

doom64 31st October 2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoRNet (Post 14295570)
We found an issue with the VST3 wrapper, working on a fix, it'll be ready soon!
In the meantime, VST2 works perfectly.

Saverio

There's also an issue with the first instance of the plugin maintaining its gain value. That's when copying the plugin across tracks. It does not reset when clicking auto. At least it displays the value I don't know if it's actually being changed under the hood.

HoRNet 31st October 2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom64 (Post 14295877)
There's also an issue with the first instance of the plugin maintaining its gain value. That's when copying the plugin across tracks. It does not reset when clicking auto. At least it displays the value I don't know if it's actually being changed under the hood.

So the gain value is kept when copying the plugin? once you press auto it should reset.

Anyway this happens with the VST3 or with any format?

Saverio

doom64 31st October 2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoRNet (Post 14295931)
So the gain value is kept when copying the plugin? once you press auto it should reset.

Anyway this happens with the VST3 or with any format?

Saverio

Windows VST3 in REAPER. First instance set to Group 1, others are copies. Auto doesn't reset it for the first instance.

It happens sporadically unfortunately so far. I'll try to duplicate it and follow up.

ionian 1st November 2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_HS (Post 14294783)

Can confirm. Using Studio One, Windows 7 64bit VST3 version, The minute I drop it on a stereo track, makes the track mono.

Gee 1st November 2019 12:23 AM

Mac aax Color scheme always reverts to black for me.

Love the new look though!

HoRNet 2nd November 2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionian (Post 14296895)
Can confirm. Using Studio One, Windows 7 64bit VST3 version, The minute I drop it on a stereo track, makes the track mono.

It's an issue with VST3, we already have a fix in place, it'll be released soon!

Saverio

ZangTumblyTumble 2nd November 2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee (Post 14296924)
Mac aax Color scheme always reverts to black for me.

Love the new look though!

I'm getting the same in VST3: in fact the GUI seems messed up as the controls don't stick either and the bar isn't showing the right values. AU looks fine.

This is a 2018 Mac Mini running latest Mojave, external GPU

I like the approach though, vs the traditional moving-needle VU meters and with the controls.

HoRNet 4th November 2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble (Post 14299612)
I'm getting the same in VST3: in fact the GUI seems messed up as the controls don't stick either and the bar isn't showing the right values. AU looks fine.

This is a 2018 Mac Mini running latest Mojave, external GPU

I like the approach though, vs the traditional moving-needle VU meters and with the controls.

Seems like a GUI rescale error, can you please open a support ticket on our system with a screenshot? of the issue?

Thank you
Saverio

omkar 5th November 2019 08:02 PM

Brilliant, one click time saver,
at a first glance VST2 on PC seems to work hassle-free.
Kudos!

HoRNet 8th November 2019 02:13 PM

We have just updated HoRNet VU Meter MK4.

The new 4.1.0 version is a feature release and includes:
  • Fixed random crash with various DAWs when changing meter color on macOS
  • Reworked group data exchange logic to work with sandboxed applications on macOS
  • Fixed issue that prevented the plugin from being loaded in macOS before 10.11
  • Fixed VST3 issue that made every track mono
  • Added GUI lights to show grouping status for every parameter

The update is free for owners of the plugin and can be downloaded from the user area :)

Saverio

Henrik Hjortnaes 8th November 2019 04:34 PM

How exactly do you use HoRNet VU Meter in a mixing preparation scenario, where you import multiple analog recorded tracks and want them all to auto-adjust to -18 dB?
I own HoRNet VU Meter 3 and I never managed to see the real benefit of the plug-in in this scenario. You place it on all tracks and then what? Hit play in various places on the timeline and have it auto-adjust each track one-by-one? That's a lot of mouse clicking.

https://i.imgur.com/Z0cI6ze.png

Also, I thought the plug-in would be great using the AudioSuite version (offline in Pro Tools) but as it doesn't look ahead it is useless, as it messes up the initial part of the clip and adjusts the rest. Furthermore, the plug-in renders crackle/distortion on the part where the gain is suddenly and automatically reduced:

https://i.imgur.com/ix2OOsf.gif

Arionas 8th November 2019 05:19 PM

It would be really huge and much more fast and helpful if this plugin could work on offline processing

kc23 8th November 2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 14311001)
How exactly do you use HoRNet VU Meter in a mixing preparation scenario, where you import multiple analog recorded tracks and want them all to auto-adjust to -18 dB?

Use the group function:
-Instantiate in one track
-Set group number and "gain" button, so what is grouped is the gain control.
-Set reference and peak values.
-Copy to all tracks.
-In whatever instance, press "auto" button. Now all instances are on auto.
-Play tune.
-Let tune end, now every instance has corrected gain for each track acording to your settings.

Too easy, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arionas (Post 14311092)
It would be really huge and much more fast and helpful if this plugin could work on offline processing

As I see it, this is not a plugin for that, as it updates gain value constantly on input while analysing. If you need offline, get MLoudness Analyser, its free... only to render one file at a time, if you want batch, you´ll have to pay for upgrade.

This plugin as it is is really great. I use it not only to gainstage but to do lots of comparisons. You´ll just have to get creative about how you use it.

Henrik Hjortnaes 8th November 2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc23 (Post 14311252)
Use the group function:
-Instantiate in one track
-Set group number and "gain" button, so what is grouped is the gain control.
-Set reference and peak values.
-Copy to all tracks.
-In whatever instance, press "auto" button. Now all instances are on auto.
-Play tune.
-Let tune end, now every instance has corrected gain for each track acording to your settings.

Too easy, I think.

Fair enough, thanks. I thought there was more convenience hidden somewhere in the plug-in (offline analyzing, lookahead). Playing all the way through a song is the kicker for me. I can usually gainstage my sessions quicker by just manually adjusting clip gain on each track by eye, watching the Pro Tools meter. Oh, and I can't copy the plug-in from a stereo track to a mono track in Pro Tools, which adds to the hassle.

Henrik Hjortnaes 8th November 2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc23 (Post 14311252)
If you need offline, get MLoudness Analyser, its free...

It's doing LUFS, not dB as far as I can tell.