Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   New Product Alert (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/)
-   -   SKnote announce Cuttertone AAX (and VST/AU) - A vinyl cutter processor, for mixing. (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/1283942-sknote-announce-cuttertone-aax-vst-au-vinyl-cutter-processor-mixing.html)

quintosardo 22nd October 2019 10:25 AM

SKnote announce Cuttertone AAX (and VST/AU) - A vinyl cutter processor, for mixing.

Here we go! Finally for Pro Tools, too. Cuttertone is modelled after a classic processor for mastering to vinyl.

The intrinsic limits of the medium (the vinyl disk and the storage technique to get a stereo signal mechanically memorised on it) impose a specific, often quite heavy, processing before sending the final signal to the cutter. Mainly limiting of the acceleration of the cutter (related to high frequency content) and the stereo width of the lowest frequency range (that could destroy the groove cut on the surface).

Turns out that a few of the usual processes can be extremely useful as effects while mixing, too.

https://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/wp-co...CutterTone.jpg

We modelled such a processor to get those effects available in the virtual mixer.
Cuttertone has been one of our most successful processors to date and now, with our usual titanic times, it is being made available to Pro Tools users, too, as an AAX (Native and DSP!) plugin (32/64) for both Windows and Mac OSX systems (and also for Avid Venue live consoles).

Being released next Oct 28th, with the usual price tag of 19.99$ as a launch price, then going up to 29.99$ on the release (pre-buy option, get VST/AU now).
www.sknoteaudio.com

Gee 22nd October 2019 11:41 AM

Nice!boing

quintosardo 22nd October 2019 11:55 AM

:)

Any HDX/Venue users here? Justifying an AAX-DSP version?

gilmanoel 22nd October 2019 10:37 PM

Nice! This plugin is awesome in Mastering! rockout

GreatDivideStud 23rd October 2019 04:14 PM

Yes to HDX!

quintosardo 24th October 2019 04:23 PM

Here we go with a simple video: Cuttertone on the Drums track.

Showcasing its simple but extremely powerful features: Low-range Stereo Width, Acceleration Limiting, overall Dynamics and Stereo Width controls.

Being released next Monday, VST and AU are being upgraded, too, with the new preset management system: copy and paste through clipboard and load/save to/from disk without using sequencer's own system (gets rid of specific formats).

quintosardo 25th October 2019 10:12 AM

I'm quite happy to say that Cuttertone comes as AAX-DSP, too rockout:cool:

https://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/wp-co...erTone_DSP.jpg

quintosardo 27th October 2019 08:04 AM

With the upgrade coming tomorrow we also added the new through-clipboard preset management system to VST/AU. So we are adding some useful presets, including those in the tutorials you find if you write "Cuttertone" in the Search field on sknoteadio.com rockout

cprompt 27th October 2019 01:44 PM

Hi Quinto, I'm loving Cuttertone, but I'm wondering what "Dynamics" actually does? Is it a compressor, limiter, clipper, or what? I love the way it just makes stuff sound bigger, especially drums, but I'm curious to know how it does it.

quintosardo 27th October 2019 04:06 PM

That one is a kind of waveshaper with a peculiar harmonic buildup, I always loved that algorithm if not overdone. Used on single tracks it can really add tons of level to the mix.

quintosardo 28th October 2019 04:34 PM

Demo version for AAX (Native and DSP!!!) available on www.sknoteaudio.com.

Currently uploading demo versions for VST/AU (with new preset management) and final updates for all formats.

quintosardo 29th October 2019 12:27 PM

All formats out! Fingers crossed. kfhkh:cool:

phaded 30th October 2019 03:54 AM

Think I sent a message to you a while back about that dynamics knob, Q. You have something in there worth re-exploring, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quintosardo (Post 14288407)
That one is a kind of waveshaper with a peculiar harmonic buildup, I always loved that algorithm if not overdone. Used on single tracks it can really add tons of level to the mix.

acmusic 30th October 2019 05:03 AM

Hi Quinto-
I've had and loved CutterTone for years. Is there a way to get the update or just email you about it?

thx,
kjb

quintosardo 30th October 2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acmusic (Post 14293422)
Hi Quinto-
I've had and loved CutterTone for years. Is there a way to get the update or just email you about it?

thx,
kjb

Sure! You can login to your page and it should be there.
Please write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it if you don't have your password or something looks wrong.

quintosardo 6th November 2019 09:22 AM

This little beast is getting such great feedback! So many gems hidden in classic processes, like mastering to vinyl rockout

cprompt 6th November 2019 12:44 PM

I just like the "dynamics" option - everything else is just a bonus!

quintosardo 6th November 2019 01:00 PM

Please note that yesterday we updated the Mac VST/AU version for a bugfix.

ardis 7th November 2019 06:24 PM

Man I keep forgetting I have this, need to revisit.....! Been using saturation emulations not so much tape and finishing ones.....