Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   My great room acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1283741-my-great-room-acoustics.html)

Ronnymonkey 20th October 2019 03:50 PM

My great room acoustics

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I wanted to share with you a measurement from today.
Please let me know if you have any comments
This is the before. I haven't really treated the room yet. Will start next week doing it.

Any tips from you guys?

Ronny

akebrake 20th October 2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnymonkey (Post 14275563)
Hi,

I wanted to share with you a measurement from today.
Please let me know if you have any comments.

If you upload your mdat file here we can help you interpret your measurement.

Best freshflowe

Ronnymonkey 20th October 2019 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by akebrake (Post 14275605)
If you upload your mdat file here we can help you interpret your measurement.

Best freshflowe

ok!

By the way. I used an AKG 214 for the measurement.

akebrake 20th October 2019 04:55 PM

Use omni for measurements

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnymonkey (Post 14275624)
ok!

By the way. I used an AKG 214 for the measurement.

That's a bit unfortunate because AFAIK that mic is a cardioid.
So these measurement will not tell us very much...
For room measurements we like to see reflections from all directions.

E.g Acoustical Measurements are usually done with small omni-microphones.
Such a beast can be bought for around 70-100 USD.

Best

Ronnymonkey 20th October 2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akebrake (Post 14275649)
That's a bit unfortunate because AFAIK that mic is a cardioid.
So these measurement will not tell us very much...
For room measurements we like to see reflections from all directions.

E.g Acoustical Measurements are usually done with small omni-microphones.
Such a beast can be bought for around 70-100 USD.

Best

Yes, I will do that. Thanks. Just so YOU can read it :)

Soundman2020 21st October 2019 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnymonkey (Post 14275656)
Yes, I will do that. Thanks. Just so YOU can read it :)

?
He's giving you good advice! He's also one of the few REW experts around here....

Studio acoustic measurements should always be done with a proper measurement mic, and they are not expensive. It has to be omni because, as akebrake says, the mic has to pic up sound equally in all directions, not just concentrated in one single direction. It also has to be a small mic (not a large diaphragm mic) so that the body of the mic itself does not interfere with the sound waves it is trying to measure.

Here's a tutorial on how to set it all up and do the measurements. How to calibrate and use REW to test and tune your room acoustics There are several issues with your MDAT measurements that make the data you posted not very useful. About the only thing that can be discerned from that data is that the room is empty, you have some modal issues, flutter echo, and there are several very strong early reflections. If you follow those instructions, you'll be able to produce REW data that can be used to analyze your room in far more detail.

- Stuart -

Ronnymonkey 21st October 2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundman2020 (Post 14276344)
?
He's giving you good advice! He's also one of the few REW experts around here....

Studio acoustic measurements should always be done with a proper measurement mic, and they are not expensive. It has to be omni because, as akebrake says, the mic has to pic up sound equally in all directions, not just concentrated in one single direction. It also has to be a small mic (not a large diaphragm mic) so that the body of the mic itself does not interfere with the sound waves it is trying to measure.

Here's a tutorial on how to set it all up and do the measurements. How to calibrate and use REW to test and tune your room acoustics There are several issues with your MDAT measurements that make the data you posted not very useful. About the only thing that can be discerned from that data is that the room is empty, you have some modal issues, flutter echo, and there are several very strong early reflections. If you follow those instructions, you'll be able to produce REW data that can be used to analyze your room in far more detail.

- Stuart -

Yes! I know ?
I’m buying a mic for it. I wasn’t sarcastic hahahah
I’m very grateful for the help. I found a Omni directional from behringer for 31 euros. Will order it and get back here.

Starlight 21st October 2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnymonkey (Post 14276743)
I found a Omni directional from behringer for 31 euros.

So you didn't read Stuart's link. What a pity.

bert stoltenborg 21st October 2019 11:53 AM

Behringer ECM8000 are not always very bad....

Ronnymonkey 21st October 2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starlight (Post 14276903)
So you didn't read Stuart's link. What a pity.

I'm at work. Didnt read the link sorry. Now i've read it. I will look for the other mic.I will come back later.

akebrake 21st October 2019 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundman2020 (Post 14276344)
?

Studio acoustic measurements should always be done with a proper measurement mic...

Thanks Stuart for the kind words. :)
I have found this and other acoustical Forums very interesting and inspiring learning places and want to give something in return. Learning is fun!

So many different rooms and folks struggling with their room measurements. Comparing thousands and trying to find out what’s wrong is a good exercise.
(But honestly, I have a suspicion the ”teacher”will learn the most...gooof )

A strength here is that so many members use the same software (REW) which means we have a common platform and can discuss results and different ways to tweak or present the results.
That would be quite tricky if members use many different acoustical software.

@ Ronny
In addition to Stuarts comments about a typical measured empty room result,
I found your first measurement heavily distorted for some reason.
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is around 10% (≈20dB below fundamental) See pic below.
May be you’re sweeping too loud (with small loudspeakers), or the signal is clipping?

RE measuring microphones. Cheap and precission don’t usually go together.
Does it matter if the mic is +/- 5dB across the audible range?

All gear have tolerances. It depends how picky you are...
A 100 € mic will be fine for the job if supplied with a calibration file.

Be prepared to make many measurements and minimize risk to drop your more expensive 214.

Cheers

Soundman2020 21st October 2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg (Post 14276931)
Behringer ECM8000 are not always very bad....

True. Sometimes you get lucky. :)

- Stuart -

Ronnymonkey 22nd October 2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akebrake (Post 14277308)
Thanks Stuart for the kind words. :)
I have found this and other acoustical Forums very interesting and inspiring learning places and want to give something in return. Learning is fun!

So many different rooms and folks struggling with their room measurements. Comparing thousands and trying to find out what’s wrong is a good exercise.
(But honestly, I have a suspicion the ”teacher”will learn the most...gooof )

A strength here is that so many members use the same software (REW) which means we have a common platform and can discuss results and different ways to tweak or present the results.
That would be quite tricky if members use many different acoustical software.

@ Ronny
In addition to Stuarts comments about a typical measured empty room result,
I found your first measurement heavily distorted for some reason.
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is around 10% (≈20dB below fundamental) See pic below.
May be you’re sweeping too loud (with small loudspeakers), or the signal is clipping?

RE measuring microphones. Cheap and precission don’t usually go together.
Does it matter if the mic is +/- 5dB across the audible range?

All gear have tolerances. It depends how picky you are...
A 100 € mic will be fine for the job if supplied with a calibration file.

Be prepared to make many measurements and minimize risk to drop your more expensive 214.

Cheers

Thanks Akebrake, i will pick up a good measurement mic and get back on it. Once i do another measurement i will report the results in this thread. Very thankfull for the help and i'm hoping on a pleasant experience for all of us.

Peace to all.