Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   What mixer has EQs closest sounding to an SSL EQ? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/1283594-what-mixer-has-eqs-closest-sounding-ssl-eq.html)

esppse 19th October 2019 02:09 AM

What mixer has EQs closest sounding to an SSL EQ?

Hey,

I'm looking for at least 16 channels of EQ, at least a Hi and Low shelf or band, and 2 fully parametric Mids. My price range is under 2500 or 2000.

The only one i can think of is the Allen and Heath GS3000. Are there any other mixers with a comparable EQ that is this affordable?

I already have a SS EQ573, Warm EQP, and a Hammer on the 2 Bus.

Thanks

Gusss 7th November 2019 06:18 PM

I have an Allen and heath gs3000 but the digital chip in the tiny digital part has gone meaning all mutes are stuck on. All the analogue parts ie 99% of the desk works perfectly. Very frustrating but may be of interest to you if you are handy
Quote:

Originally Posted by esppse (Post 14273147)
Hey,

I'm looking for at least 16 channels of EQ, at least a Hi and Low shelf or band, and 2 fully parametric Mids. My price range is under 2500 or 2000.

The only one i can think of is the Allen and Heath GS3000. Are there any other mixers with a comparable EQ that is this affordable?

I already have a SS EQ573, Warm EQP, and a Hammer on the 2 Bus.

Thanks

esppse 8th November 2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusss (Post 14309279)
I have an Allen and heath gs3000 but the digital chip in the tiny digital part has gone meaning all mutes are stuck on. All the analogue parts ie 99% of the desk works perfectly. Very frustrating but may be of interest to you if you are handy

PM sent

jetam 8th November 2019 11:12 PM

IIRC most if not all A&H EQs are considerably less aggressive/effective than anything made by SSL.

Midas Venice F has a good EQ.
Soundcraft Ghost might be interesting for a small studio if you want parametric mids and can live with fixed frequency shelves.
If you are OK with a larger live board, you might be able to get a very nice console for your budget.
Some examples:
Midas XL3 (usually a bit more expensive, but I've seen at least a couple in your price range)
Soundcraft MH4
Soundcraft MH3 (reliable, but harder to repair - not modular)
Soundcraft Series Four
Soundcraft Series Five (if you are really lucky)

Gusss 9th November 2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetam (Post 14311908)
IIRC most if not all A&H EQs are considerably less aggressive/effective than anything made by SSL.

Soundcraft Ghost might be interesting for a small studio if you want parametric mids and can live with fixed frequency shelves.
If you are OK with a larger live board, you might be able to get a very nice console for your budget.
Some examples:
Midas XL3 (usually a bit more expensive, but I've seen at least a couple in your price range)
Soundcraft MH4
Soundcraft Series Four

Gs3000 is a special board though ... They say it had the same designer as the ghost was a bit nicer can't find any evidence for that. Thing sounds great though.
Incidently OP I have a soundtracs maxi topaz 24 8 2 for sale purely analogue in very good condition though the shipping might cost more than the board!!!!

esppse 12th November 2019 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetam (Post 14311908)

Some examples:
Soundcraft MH4
Soundcraft Series Four

Thanks very much for the suggestions, had no idea about many of them. I'll keep a look out for one of em. Just trying to put together a poor man's SSL, lol.

Deleted 300228d 13th November 2019 06:44 PM

The only board I’ve seen compared to ssl is the mci 500?? I think they say the design of the 4K was based on the mci

Also the tascam m 3700 has been compared to the ssl