Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1283044-advice-needed-how-make-noise-absorbing-painting-canvas.html)

CarloEspresso 14th October 2019 04:50 PM

Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas

Hi there.

I want to decorate my room, but I’d also like to improve the acoustic.
I have just found out something that is called “Noiseflex picture” ( see link bellow.

Any idea how I can make a similar?

https://www.musicstore.com/en_OE/EUR...REC0013344-000

Tks.

Soundman2020 14th October 2019 06:36 PM

Yeah, I think I'd skip on that! There's the laws of physics that govern the real world, including sound waves... then there's the laws of marketing hype, that are totally unrelated to anything in the real world, except your wallet... :)

Not sure if you noticed the dimensions of that artwork: "Thickness: 25 mm". Thus, at best (assuming it is a perfect acoustic absorber), it can only effect high frequencies... for anything below about 1 kHz, it has no effect at all. Because absorption thickness is related to wavelength (in the real world...). Also, the dimensions of that painting are 100 cm x 100 cm :facepalm: So 1 square meter.... add up all the surface area of all the walls, floor, and ceiling in your room, consider that you normally need to treat at least 30% of that area to have any useful effect, then see how many paintings you'd need to buy...

Nope! I would not consider that thing a all. No useful effect, and rather expensive!

It would be much better to just build DIY treatment yourself, then get whatever artwork you like printed on breathable fabric (there are reputable companies that can do that for you), and put that over your treatment.

But first, before you do any of that, you should determine what acoustic treatment your room actually needs!

- Stuart -

Starlight 14th October 2019 06:45 PM

Carlo, what acoustic treatment do you already have in your room?

CarloEspresso 14th October 2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starlight (Post 14265035)
Carlo, what acoustic treatment do you already have in your room?

Thank you for your reply. Well nothing at the moment.

CarloEspresso 14th October 2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundman2020 (Post 14265018)
Yeah, I think I'd skip on that! There's the laws of physics that govern the real world, including sound waves... then there's the laws of marketing hype, that are totally unrelated to anything in the real world, except your wallet... :)

Not sure if you noticed the dimensions of that artwork: "Thickness: 25 mm". Thus, at best (assuming it is a perfect acoustic absorber), it can only effect high frequencies... for anything below about 1 kHz, it has no effect at all. Because absorption thickness is related to wavelength (in the real world...). Also, the dimensions of that painting are 100 cm x 100 cm :facepalm: So 1 square meter.... add up all the surface area of all the walls, floor, and ceiling in your room, consider that you normally need to treat at least 30% of that area to have any useful effect, then see how many paintings you'd need to buy...

Nope! I would not consider that thing a all. No useful effect, and rather expensive!

It would be much better to just build DIY treatment yourself, then get whatever artwork you like printed on breathable fabric (there are reputable companies that can do that for you), and put that over your treatment.

But first, before you do any of that, you should determine what acoustic treatment our room actually needs!

- Stuart -

Hi Stuart, thanks for your message.

I was actually thinking of doing something myself. I agree with with you, that artwork is really expensive for what it is.

Jason Foi 14th October 2019 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarloEspresso (Post 14265283)
Thank you for your reply. Well nothing at the moment.

I got fabric custom printed for my back wall. The "art" is 3 feet x 12 feet in the visible area

Soundman2020 14th October 2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Foi (Post 14265296)
I got fabric custom printed for my back wall. The "art" is 3 feet x 12 feet in the visible area

Nice! That's what I was talking about... and I'll bet that what you have behind it is a bit more than 25mm thick! :) And that it didn't cost all that much to do...

- Stuart -

Jason Foi 14th October 2019 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundman2020 (Post 14265492)
Nice! That's what I was talking about... and I'll bet that what you have behind it is a bit more than 25mm thick! :) And that it didn't cost all that much to do...

- Stuart -

12 feet x 8 feet x 3 feet of fluffy fiber, chicken wire, 2x4s, and some fabric.... maybe $500 in materials by the time i added the slatts. The 4 yards of custom printed fabric was just under $80 i believe. Simple, cheap, and effective absorbtion across the entire spectrum.

ProducedByRiot 20th October 2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Foi (Post 14265513)
12 feet x 8 feet x 3 feet of fluffy fiber, chicken wire, 2x4s, and some fabric.... maybe $500 in materials by the time i added the slatts. The 4 yards of custom printed fabric was just under $80 i believe. Simple, cheap, and effective absorbtion across the entire spectrum.

Hey Jason. Where did you get the fabric printed from? I'm looking to do something very similar and am in the process of contacting a few different companies but I really like your result along with that price point. Looks great.

Jason Foi 20th October 2019 08:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProducedByRiot (Post 14275944)
Hey Jason. Where did you get the fabric printed from? I'm looking to do something very similar and am in the process of contacting a few different companies but I really like your result along with that price point. Looks great.

Spoonflower.com

I dont remember which fabric i used. It was one of the light weight cottons, but not a sheer fabric. I put a layer of https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-3...42RV/302720132 behind the printed fabric to make it appear more opaque.