Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Barry White in the studio (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1282793-barry-white-studio.html)

sfilipee 12th October 2019 12:38 AM

Barry White in the studio

I've been researching a lot about that "hot buttered soul" sound, the huge and dramatic, full of string arrangements sound from the likes of Isaac Hayes and Barry White.

But something weird that I've found is that there's close to no information on Barry White in the studio, be it how he recorded, how he composed and produced all those songs, how he got his musicians etc. You can barely get a picture of him in the studio shiee

I'm really interested in knowing a bit more about the technical side of what he did, because even though a lot of stuff was a bit over the top, he did have amazing gems, usually the deep cuts of the album, but some of the more known singles too.

His cover of Standing in the Shadows of Love is out of this world, for example.

So, who here knows anything about how Barry worked in the studio? Or where should I look into to study him in a bit more? I've even thought about getting his autobiography :lol:

(sorry if this isn't the most appropriate section but hey...)

Chad Sterling 12th October 2019 03:53 AM

bump...

From what I've researched in the past Barry White was mainly recorded by Frank Kejmar. I think he runs an audio company in California called Kejmar Pro Audio. I hope either he or someone who knows him tells us how he got those drums. Maybe someone can contact him and pick his brain and post what they learn here in this thread.

sfilipee 12th October 2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Sterling (Post 14261028)
bump...

From what I've researched in the past Barry White was mainly recorded by Frank Kejmar. I think he runs an audio company in California called Kejmar Pro Audio. I hope either he or someone who knows him tells us how he got those drums. Maybe someone can contact him and pick his brain and post what they learn here in this thread.

That's also pretty much I have on that whole thing too, then he also has the album with Bruce.

But I'm really interested in the behind the scenes stuff, because that's not the usual story of a composer/producer, and I'm really interested in how he was doing things in the studio.

I think he had an attitude that was different from the other guys like Isaac Hayes, so even the sweeter sounding stuff still had an aggressive side to it.

chessparov2.0 13th October 2019 09:09 AM

Isaac & Barry... Two geniuses. I'm glad they became close friends. Their arrangements and their voices-tremendous.

Following this thread, thanks for starting it!
kfhkh
Chris

chessparov2.0 14th October 2019 02:54 AM

Stuff about Barry & Isaac... "It's just not enough";)
Chris

ShogunOfHarlem 14th October 2019 03:12 AM

Ed Greene (played drums on most of the classic Barry records, along with about a million other hits) is a good friend. Put together a list of questions you'd like me to ask him and I'll hit him up.

He's not much of an internet guy, so I doubt I could get him here for this.

chessparov2.0 14th October 2019 04:30 AM

Thanks so much Shogan.kfhkh Working on something tonight... So I'll try to ask a few relevant questions, by tomorrow.
Chris

dylanwissing 14th October 2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShogunOfHarlem (Post 14264090)
Ed Greene (played drums on most of the classic Barry records, along with about a million other hits) is a good friend. Put together a list of questions you'd like me to ask him and I'll hit him up.

Oh man, Ed Greene is such a legend! I'm on an Greene deep dive this morning thanks to this thread, revisiting the Donald Byrd "Ethiopian Knights" record as we speak.

There's some great info about how Ed approached the kit in the studio from a 1980 interview, for those interested: https://www.moderndrummer.com/articl...o-heavyweight/.

I would love to know what the tracking scenario was like for "I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More." What drums were used, what heads, how they were tuned and muffled, single or double-headed, were the drums in a booth or out in a larger tracking room, what mics and where, the board used. You know, basically everything! I recognize that the session happened almost fifty years ago, of course, so it won't be shocking if a lot of this information is lost to the mists of time.

That's such an amazing performance, and it's no wonder that the intro has been sampled on hundreds of songs. I only hope Ed got a piece of each of those records (although I won't be shocked if he didn't)...

Great thread, and I can't wait to see what else comes from it!

mrfantastic 14th October 2019 04:33 PM

As just mentioned in the singing drummer thread - Barry White was a drummer so it's fair to assume that he didn't pay session drummers at least early on in his career.

Sigma 14th October 2019 05:27 PM

I recorded and mixed "Practice What You Preach" i didn't fly to LA to cut vocals because Barry used Barney Perkins..Barry made Gerald Levert wait 3 days and Gerald said if you don't do your vocals tomorrow i'm going back to the EC..glad i didn't go..

cheesy synths and wetter than a french hooker

yes the bkgs should be 1.5 dB louder and shelved at 5k about 2 dB