Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Does Options Distracts You From Your Work? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1281661-does-options-distracts-you-your-work.html)

amit monga 3rd October 2019 01:23 PM

Does Options Distracts You From Your Work?

Does Options Distracts You From Your Work?

I have found the best La 2a emulation plugin and its there on all my mixings. Next day while scrolling gearslutz I found a new again best emulation. I tested it, found it better and now I am replacing all my previous La 2a emulations from all my current songs. And this process continues for all my plugins from many years. And I am busy replacing old with new.

Then I decided to invest in hardware to get rid of something new everyday. Over 5 years I invested in Manley Variable Mu, Ssl x desk, Bricasti, Cranesong Stc, Cranesong Hedd, Rupert MBP, Api 2500 and the list continues. I am satisfied with the results but:

Still today I am searching gearslutz for some new plugin or hardware. Options still distract me.

What is your experience?

AlphaDingo 3rd October 2019 01:36 PM

Sadly, the same as yours, LOL. I say this to you, for my own benefit: Less time on gearslutz leads to increased satisfaction with what I have and more actual music creation. There’s always some thing “better”, so just get stuff done with the gear you have.

wrgkmc 3rd October 2019 03:29 PM

As they say its not the size of the tool but the motion of the ocean that makes pleasant music. You can apply that to any enhancements you add to the music.

My first question is. Why does the music need so much limiting. A little makeup on a woman who is already beautiful without it, then you are actually being an artist with those tools. If You're applying that makeup with a Trowel trying to cover up massive craters on a porker then you're wasting your time. Any trained ear can hear right through that crap and will know what the engineer was attempting to hide from peoples ears. Always keep this in mind. Great music doesn't need a dam thing added to it to make it sound better. Its only poorly performed and poorly recorded music that needs crutches. In the long term you probably aren't helping that musician fix his issues at the source either. You're more likely making them dependent on audio tools then making them a better artist.

A Limiter like an LA-2 is a good finishing tool. Its can do a good job on other instruments that have too much dynamics too but it can easily make a mix dynamically monotone if you aren't careful.

All your emotional content in music comes from changes in Volume and energy levels. Going from a soft feather touch to a slam as hard as a bomb going off can evoke fear like a lightening strike does to primitive man. The greater the dynamic change the bigger the music sounds. If you flatten the dynamics so that feather touch is just as fearsome as that cymbal slam, you reduce how impressive the music actually is. You make everything equally small by doing that.

If you really want to knock peoples socks off, trick them into turning up the volume during the soft parts and the lightening bolts that come along will put the fear of god in them. Instead of compressing the dynamic range, expand the range when mixing. You can use this analogy. If you have three lengths of wood one is 20mm, one is 21, and one is 22mm and you stand a fee feet away, you wont be able to see any differences in length from a few feet away. That's what happens when you limit or compress tracks.

If you expand them first so 1 millimeter looks like 1' exaggerating the differences first, then limiting them back down later in the recording chain (when mastering) the difference in the music is like night and day.

Of course you have to learn how to override your instinct to simply compress everything by using your intellect, knowing the end results are going to be much better. The difference between being a singular musician making a singular tone and a conductor who has to control an entire orchestra so you have to put the instrument down and wear a different hat when you mix. Its not about making everything sound the same its about exploiting the differences available. It can be very difficult for a musician to learn this lesson too. They have a hard time letting go of their bias to make their own parts sound best in a mix. Due to their competitive nature they often find it hard to understand their part can actually be made to sound better by expanding the dynamic range of everyone else in a mix first.

It often takes a good deal of mental discipline along with a well designed plan to take your mixes to a higher plane. Don't get hung up on using any one tool for too long. Of course you do want to spend enough time experimenting with them so you know their limitations. Just recognize, once you find its limits, the ideal settings are usually going to be half as much as you thought. Especially limiters and compressors. For most situations if you hear them working you're likely using way too much. Try and make any jump between running and bypassed smaller and use more of them in baby steps instead of using giant steps to make huge changes.

chipss36 3rd October 2019 08:51 PM

It does for me...I use a 1073 and it’s simple eq, I find it hard to get wrong..
But with say IZotopes latest greatest, eq I can get myself in to major trouble.

I am old school, I like to track with hardware, I like knobs, more than plugins..

That said. I like daws as well , and not cutting tape anymore! And recall and a few other things.

Unclenny 3rd October 2019 09:16 PM

I did a little experiment around five years ago or so when I went to PT11. There weren't many aax plugins around at that time so I decided to see what I could do using only the stock Digi plugins. I never looked back.

I've tracked a hundred or so tunes in my humble home digs since then. With no distractions over choice of processing tools I spend my time making music rather than worrying about gear. And if my stuff is not sounding as good as it could I'm not blaming it on those plugins.

I do have a pretty good front end and this choice to simplify got me concentrating more on what goes in than how it gets processed once it's in there.

howdy