Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   TritonAudio FetHead Germanium - Germanium phantom powered microphone preamp (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1280847-tritonaudio-fethead-germanium-germanium-phantom-powered-microphone-preamp.html)

The Press Desk 30th September 2019 01:17 PM

TritonAudio FetHead Germanium - Germanium phantom powered microphone preamp

1 Attachment(s)

FetHead Germanium is a high quality, in-line microphone preamplifier.

It provides a punchy and direct, ‘larger than life’ germanium sound for ribbon and dynamic microphones with classy Germanium harmonics, which sounds full and rich, reminiscent of much higher priced (vintage) gear.
This desirable coloration can be a really great addition to preamps which sound rather neutral.

We created a novel hybrid circuit that consists of low noise JFets and a hand-selected ‘new old stock’ germanium transistor to take full advantage of the "Germanium" sound and at the same time achieve the same quality we are known for.

We created a novel hybrid circuit that consists of low noise JFets and a hand-selected ‘new old stock’ germanium transistor to take full advantage of the "Germanium" sound and at the same time achieve the same quality we are known for.
• Hybrid JFet/Germanium amplifier
• 29dB amplification
• New old stock Germanium transistor
• Requires P48 Phantom Power
• For Ribbon & Dynamic microphones
• Shielded Enclosure

For more information: www.tritonaudio.com

ardis 30th September 2019 07:21 PM

Be interested to hear this and the Soyuz product tested. These are cool ideas. This isn't a lot of money!......

sirthought 1st October 2019 09:17 AM

Interested to learn more about this. Does the Germanium amp mean that it can get really hot?

warhead 3rd October 2019 04:30 PM

We will test this new version against the standard Fethead upon arrival, units should be landing here in one week so should be interesting to hear.

Scratchy Pots 3rd October 2019 06:20 PM

Be careful with this company,(Triton) I bought one of these a couple of years ago and was very happy with the product, then after a year it stopped working, so I contacted Triton and explained what happened and asked if a repair was possible, they replied, saying it was just out of warranty, but If I sent it to them, they would repair it, all I had to do was pay for the postage.
I was delighted and praised them on their customer service, the package was recorded as being delivered, then three weeks later, I emailed to see if there was any progress, they didn't reply, after a letter and countless other emails, there was still no reply, the thought of sinking sinking more time and money into trying to sort this out, didn't appeal, so I gave up.

This is just heads up to people, the preamp works fine, for how long, is anyone's guess.

cauldronx 3rd October 2019 06:51 PM

I wish there was also a FetHead Germanium Filter variant (6dB/octave high pass filter), as long as it's technically possible as for FetHead Filter.

With just one object you can give color to the sound and compensate for the proximity effect by greatly simplifying the audio chain (and noise).

FetHead Filter is very interesting as it implements the filter in a transparent way: "The components which make up the filter are not directly in the signal path but are applied to the components which set the gain of FetHead Filters amplifier, thus making it frequency dependent." .

doom64 3rd October 2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchy Pots (Post 14244674)
Be careful with this company,(Triton) I bought one of these a couple of years ago and was very happy with the product, then after a year it stopped working, so I contacted Triton and explained what happened and asked if a repair was possible, they replied, saying it was just out of warranty, but If I sent it to them, they would repair it, all I had to do was pay for the postage.
I was delighted and praised them on their customer service, the package was recorded as being delivered, then three weeks later, I emailed to see if there was any progress, they didn't reply, after a letter and countless other emails, there was still no reply, the thought of sinking sinking more time and money into trying to sort this out, didn't appeal, so I gave up.

This is just heads up to people, the preamp works fine, for how long, is anyone's guess.

Sorry to hear that.

ALWAYS get shipping insurance when sending gear through the mail. Unless it's something worth less than say $50 you would be stupid not to.

Although I'm not sure this would have helped in your case. By the way, I love your user name.

Scratchy Pots 4th October 2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom64 (Post 14245171)
Sorry to hear that.

ALWAYS get shipping insurance when sending gear through the mail. Unless it's something worth less than say $50 you would be stupid not to.

Although I'm not sure this would have helped in your case. By the way, I love your user name.

After paying for the postage to the Netherlands and back again (recorded delivery) it wouldn't have been worth it, i may as well have bought a new one mate, you live and learn, I suppose? :) I won't use the company again.

cheers mate...kfhkh

doom64 5th October 2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchy Pots (Post 14245871)
After paying for the postage to the Netherlands and back again (recorded delivery) it wouldn't have been worth it, i may as well have bought a new one mate, you live and learn, I suppose? :) I won't use the company again.

cheers mate...kfhkh

What a damn shame!

maximumrelaximum 8th October 2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchy Pots (Post 14244674)

Hi Scratchy Pots,

I‘m very sorry to hear about your bad experience. That shouldn’t have happened, but is definitely not the way we deal with customers in general.
Please send an email to [email protected]
And we will sort it out ASAP.

Please have a look at our warranty statement https://www.tritonaudio.com/about.html

“We take pride in taking care of you and will always do what it takes to help a customer.“

Max Sombroek
Triton Audio

Scratchy Pots 9th October 2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximumrelaximum (Post 14253535)
Hi Scratchy Pots,

I‘m very sorry to hear about your bad experience. That shouldn’t have happened, but is definitely not the way we deal with customers in general.
Please send an email to [email protected]
And we will sort it out ASAP.

Please have a look at our warranty statement https://www.tritonaudio.com/about.html

“We take pride in taking care of you and will always do what it takes to help a customer.“

Max Sombroek
Triton Audio

Will do Max.

ardis 11th October 2019 11:31 PM

I wish the demo video had some sound on it from the unit. Kinda dumb way of presenting it....... I have no idea what this sounds like and would like to compare with the Launcher.....

Neptune45 11th October 2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardis (Post 14260745)
I wish the demo video had some sound on it from the unit. Kinda dumb way of presenting it....... I have no idea what this sounds like and would like to compare with the Launcher.....

Agreed - it would be good for some audio examples to be posted.

Scratchy Pots 21st October 2019 06:10 PM

Just like to say a big thank you to Max Sombroek from Triton, for going way and beyond to sort this matter out, kfhkh Thanks a lot Max....cooge

mutetourettes 23rd October 2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhead (Post 14244415)
We will test this new version against the standard Fethead upon arrival, units should be landing here in one week so should be interesting to hear.

did the units arrive yet? are they out in the wild? anyone tried it?

warhead 23rd October 2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutetourettes (Post 14280636)

Yes, it is located in our Clipalator preamp folder here:

https://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

You can hear the brighter, somewhat more distorted "bite" the Germanium version has.

These are on our shelf and shipping at ZenPro Audio.

Neptune45 23rd October 2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhead (Post 14280881)
Yes, it is located in our Clipalator preamp folder here:

https://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

You can hear the brighter, somewhat more distorted "bite" the Germanium version has.

These are on our shelf and shipping at ZenPro Audio.

No audio examples being posted yet?

Edit: It would be good for some examples of regular vs this...

Cheers.

warhead 23rd October 2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 14281191)
No audio examples being posted yet?

Edit: It would be good for some examples of regular vs this...

Cheers.

That's exactly what we did, so the ones ending in "Ge" are the Germanium and the others are standard Fethead.

Neptune45 23rd October 2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhead (Post 14281198)
That's exactly what we did, so the ones ending in "Ge" are the Germanium and the others are standard Fethead.

My bad, so used to audio examples being posted here on GS threads. Thanks. kfhkh

kuulart 23rd October 2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutetourettes (Post 14280636)

Yeah, as I write this it is being used on a funky/soul recording on a guitar amp. Sm57->triton ge->orion pre.
Sounds great! Have the original one as well, but have not had time to compare.

Neptune45 26th October 2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuulart (Post 14281611)
Yeah, as I write this it is being used on a funky/soul recording on a guitar amp. Sm57->triton ge->orion pre.
Sounds great! Have the original one as well, but have not had time to compare.

Thinking of getting one of these. Have you had time to compare yet? If so what are your thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

From listening on clipalator I like regular one on vocals and ge version on instruments. However this is in solo. Thinking ge might be better in a mix as seems to provide more bite...