Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   L-shaped room - absorber placed in the middle of it... (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1279917-l-shaped-room-absorber-placed-middle.html)

Mark Alpine 21st September 2019 10:52 PM

L-shaped room - absorber placed in the middle of it...

I have a question regarding my L-shaped room.

What kind of benefit (if any) could I expect to see by placing broad-band absorbers (movable that can be tucked away when not in use) in the middle of the room - basically affecting the overall size and shape of the room? Does this at all make sense, or am I better off treating the existing walls to obtain better room acoustics?

Thanks, Mark

DomiBabi 21st September 2019 11:07 PM

Works for me. I use some 6x3 gobos. The smaller part of the ā€œLā€ is diffused, and the big part is the control room (fully treated). The toughest part for me was gettin symmetric freq response in the room. THAT and low freq control.

bert stoltenborg 22nd September 2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Alpine (Post 14221209)
I have a question regarding my L-shaped room.

What kind of benefit (if any) could I expect to see by placing broad-band absorbers (movable that can be tucked away when not in use) in the middle of the room - basically affecting the overall size and shape of the room? Does this at all make sense, or am I better off treating the existing walls to obtain better room acoustics?

Thanks, Mark

In fact wool (velocity absorber) works best in the middle of a room where particle velocity is maximum.
Panel absorbers, 1/4 lambda, helmholtz are pressure absorbers working best where particle velocity is minimum and pressure is maximum.

Mark Alpine 23rd September 2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg (Post 14221842)
In fact wool (velocity absorber) works best in the middle of a room where particle velocity is maximum.
Panel absorbers, 1/4 lambda, helmholtz are pressure absorbers working best where particle velocity is minimum and pressure is maximum.

Would you have a suggestion on how to design these absorbers? What material (gas flow resistivity) and thickness would you go for? If space concerns are of importance, how would you make the trade-off low-GFR-and-thick vs. high-GFR-and-thin? Does it make sense to have these absorbers open-back, or is it more useful to close the back (with a MDF/OSB board) such that the soundwaves are reflected back into the insulation material again?

I realize this is a quite complex problem. Most literature deals with the room itself, and not partitions/dividing it up as I've asked about in this thread.

The idea I have is to add four 70x200x? cm traps (each mounted on wheels, each pair connected using hinges).

Thanks!

bert stoltenborg 23rd September 2019 10:17 AM

I would measure the room and then get me enough Rockwool to build a wall with it in the middle of the room. If you don't unpack it you can always return it.
Via the good old trial and error method I would measure until I found out what I need.

Maybe I (and others) would have different advice if we knew the room layout.

Mark Alpine 23rd September 2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg (Post 14223848)
I would measure the room and then get me enough Rockwool to build a wall with it in the middle of the room. If you don't unpack it you can always return it.
Via the good old trial and error method I would measure until I found out what I need.

Maybe I (and others) would have different advice if we knew the room layout.

Thanks! Will do. Will report back as my studio build progresses.