Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   Ranch Recording Studio Layout (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1279823-ranch-recording-studio-layout.html)

ReNova 21st September 2019 02:42 AM

Ranch Recording Studio Layout

1 Attachment(s)
Hello! Long time lurker of this site. I have really appreciated all of the great information provided by it's users over the years. I aim to build a studio in the next couple of months and before getting a frame and foundation design I wanted to see if y'all had any recommendations regarding the layout. 1st floor is 10' ceilings. 2nd floor is just living space. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason Foi 21st September 2019 05:02 AM

I'd change up the control room. The windows right in a first reflection point, or youre firing down the short wall which isnt great in either case. Minimum recommended for a CR is 200sqft also, but with your high ceilings volume is ok. Might be cramped with all the treatment in place though.

Noisewagon 21st September 2019 05:25 AM

I would do a larger control room, but that's because I have 10 synths.

And if you do tilted windows like most studios have, I see no problems.

Bushman 21st September 2019 05:26 AM

The first thing that strikes me is that the control room looks almost square. If you are doing a build from scratch, why are you choosing to have parallel control room walls? It isn’t obvious to me that the functions of the three smaller rooms dictate the control room being a box. Or almost square.
If Jason comments, I would be interested in his much more expert opinion on this.

Jason Foi 21st September 2019 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushman (Post 14219919)
The first thing that strikes me is that the control room looks almost square. If you are doing a build from scratch, why are you choosing to have parallel control room walls? It isn’t obvious to me that the functions of the three smaller rooms dictate the control room being a box. Or almost square.
If Jason comments, I would be interested in his much more expert opinion on this.

Lol, thank you, but I'm far from an expert. In regards to your comments, for a smaller control room, like this one, its better to keep the walls parallel in order to maximize internal room volume. Then to combat flutter echo and direct reflections away from the listening position, room treatment can be angled to whatever geometry is needed.

Bushman 21st September 2019 06:37 AM

I was thinking that the control room could be larger, not smaller. If the window wall was the same length, the side walls could angle out a bit, taking up most of the space up to where the door swing would almost reach the wall. The entry space and the storage room would be smaller, but I would care less about that and more about the control room. I might also push the window wall a little farther into the recording room.

JayPee 21st September 2019 02:49 PM

Angles of Control Room walls

ReNova 6th October 2019 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the input! I am attaching an updated layout. I am thinking the control room could be bigger yet but am afraid of taking up too much space in the live room. I take up a lot of space myself and don't want either room to feel cramped. I would like the live room to be able to accommodate a 7 piece band comfortably. I am also trying to simulate a live venue to practice running sound. Perhaps the length of the building could be 10' longer.

avare 6th October 2019 11:33 PM

It still shows a square control room.
The live room/storage is small. Like the control room door is good. I suggest 3' but check ADDA requirements.
I can not tell wall thickness. 12" internal is a good design model.
What is below the stairs?
Where are you planning to put HVAC?