Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Small, cheap, front-ported monitors? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/1278344-small-cheap-front-ported-monitors.html)

seamus303 8th September 2019 07:21 AM

Small, cheap, front-ported monitors?

I used a pair of Event ALP 5 both as my second monitors and for when mixing records (when mixing records I like to be very close to the monitors, which isn’t possible with my main monitors which are physically much larger). Despite their limitations, I was content with them in this role. However, last weekend i used them to provide background music at a birthday party and the next day realised that some kid has put their finger through the cones :facepalm:

So i need some new backup monitors/dj speakers. They have to be physically small (for reference the Events are aprox. 270mm high x 200mm wide x 225mm deep, and the new ones should be a similar size), active, and ideally front ported as they will be placed tilted upwards on a desktop. Don’t want to drop below a 5” woofer. They don’t have to be perfectly neutral (i would be happy with hifi speakers were any active ones available). Budget ca. 300 euro.

Been considering the JbL lsr 305 which seem good, but are at the limits of width that i can use and rear ported. Also Yamaha HS50m or HS5 look good, but again with slightly larger cabinets than ideal and also rear ported.

Would be grateful for any suggestions for suitable monitors meeting as many of the above criteria as possible. Thanks in advance!

Deleted 9bf22ce 8th September 2019 07:37 AM

Cornish1999 8th September 2019 08:42 AM

Also interested in this so registering interest

namnibor 8th September 2019 09:31 AM

I own the JBL LSR308’s and just added the Behringer Nekkst K8’s to music studio and have the Nekkst K5’s in art studio, and these inexpensive Nekkst K5’s sound, dare I say, equally awesome as my LSR’s, no exaggerated bass, I play ambient keys and have heard more clarity in Nekkst, and the K5’s;at $99. Each, it’s a phenomenal deal....front ported.abduction

Simonator 8th September 2019 02:50 PM

Used Focal Alpha 50.

seamus303 8th September 2019 06:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I checked the JBL dimensions again today on the official site and they could actually be suitable size-wise, still not sure about the rear-ported aspect though....will look into the other suggested speakers too

Wayne 8th September 2019 09:58 PM

Is the rear port concern available distance to the wall? A few inches is fine.

goom 9th September 2019 01:53 AM

Kali LP-6 or LP-8 are front ported.

Noctambulant 9th September 2019 01:55 AM

KRK Rokit 5 G4, Kali LP6, Behringer whatever if you want to gamble.

seamus303 9th September 2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne (Post 14194091)
Is the rear port concern available distance to the wall? A few inches is fine.

No, the rear port concern is because the monitors will be tilted backwards in order to be pointing at me when i’m standing up dj’ing, and behind the ports would be a wooden desk

goom 9th September 2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamus303 (Post 14195249)
No, the rear port concern is because the monitors will be tilted backwards in order to be pointing at me when i’m standing up dj’ing, and behind the ports would be a wooden desk

Live application is a whole dif ballgame

orcoaffamato 9th September 2019 08:15 PM

Fluid Audio F5

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Wayne 9th September 2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamus303 (Post 14195249)

Thanks. I'm still curious and would like to understand how a rear port would factor into this. Unless you mean laying on their backs, which doesn't seem to be what you're meaning?

seamus303 13th September 2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne (Post 14196207)
Thanks. I'm still curious and would like to understand how a rear port would factor into this. Unless you mean laying on their backs, which doesn't seem to be what you're meaning?

I was working (perhaps mistakenly) on the assumption that as it’s generally considered bad to have rear ported monitors too close to walls, it would also be undesirable to have them too close to desks

But - thanks to this thread, have now ordered some Presonus Eris E5 (the older model, not the XT), as they are being cleared out cheaply, are front ported, and in their specs (on paper at least) very similar to my old Events. Kevlar drivers may also be more resistant to children’s fingers!

Thanks for the help everyone