Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/)
-   -   Questions on Analog mixing. (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/1276304-questions-analog-mixing.html)

lolomo 21st August 2019 10:21 AM

Questions on Analog mixing.

Hey guys! heppy

I just recently thought about mixing my tracks "analog", as i've seen nice vintage eq's and channel strips which really interest me.

(Especially the Pulteq EQ's, Scheps Omni Strip and CLA MixHub from Waves)

Now i've been thinking, that I usually cut out resonances and stuff in a parametric eq (Fabfilter Pro Q in my case).

So now to my questions:

1. How would that be done in an analog eq? Is it even possible to that amount?

2. Would it sound better and give my mixes more character if I use Pulteq or other "analog" plugins?

3. Can you recommend doing this? What are your personal experiences with this?

I'm producing melodic techno by the way and I'm trying to emulate the analog world as much as I can, as I don't have money for the real deal.

I'm mostly using analog emulations for all of my projects.
The only thing where I don't use analog emulations is in mixing.

Thanks in advance! :)

mattiasnyc 21st August 2019 01:36 PM

Download an analog emulation plugin.

Run it in demo mode.

Decide if you like the sound.

Done.

DownTheLine 21st August 2019 05:26 PM

Many people hybrid mixing. Doing much of the work in the box, cutting resonance and other surgical EQ work, Level automation, etc, then they go OTB for adding character and shape to the mix.

viciousbliss 22nd August 2019 12:52 AM

First, set your sample rate at 88 or 96 khz to minimize problems with aliasing and eq cramping. Then you just have to try stuff and see what you think. If you want to go all in, buy a UAD Octo and get the 1176, Distressor, Helios, and some of the other newer emulations. For analog eq, my favorite is Softube Tube Tech MK II. There’s a few tapes to get. Tapedesk, Satin, Cranesong Phoenix, and IK Multimedia are what I would recommend.

BX SSL E console from Plugin Alliance is my favorite analog channel strip.

Overloud Dopamine is an essential analog plugin to me.

Other eqs...try Dangerous Bax and Museq.

You really just gotta try stuff and come up with your own chains. Try some vintage fx too. Transatlantic Plate, SP 2016, Lexicon 224 and 480, AMS RMX 16, and Eventide harmonizers. EC-300, Echoes, Precision, and Echo Farm for delays.

VSE-2 is a great eq with some of the best analog harmonics.

VSM-3 is a top saturator from the same company.

It’s going to take time to learn things, so the best thing is just to pick out some stuff and commit to learning it.

lolomo 22nd August 2019 08:53 AM

Thanks for the nice answers!

I just decided to go for hybrid mixing.

Which means:
- Using Pro Q-3 for masking and cutting resonances
- VSM-3 or U-He Satin for Saturation
- The SSL G EQ from Waves (Maybe gonna try some other EQ's, tried the neve 550 A/B didn't like the workflow of it)
- and Pro-C 3 for Compressing

in that order.

Would you say this is a solid way to mix?
And can you recommend some compressors or vintage eq's? (I'll try the VSE-2 for sure! It looks promising.)

tedtan 22nd August 2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolomo (Post 14162201)
Thanks for the nice answers!

I just decided to go for hybrid mixing.

Which means:
- Using Pro Q-3 for masking and cutting resonances
- VSM-3 or U-He Satin for Saturation
- The SSL G EQ from Waves (Maybe gonna try some other EQ's, tried the neve 550 A/B didn't like the workflow of it)
- and Pro-C 3 for Compressing

That's not a bad approach, but those are all plugins, so it's still considered in the box. In order to be considered hybrid, you need actual physical analog hardware to use in combination with the plugins.

lolomo 23rd August 2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedtan (Post 14162803)
That's not a bad approach, but those are all plugins, so it's still considered in the box. In order to be considered hybrid, you need actual physical analog hardware to use in combination with the plugins.

Well, as much as i'd love to do that, i'm still a poor student and i have no money for the real deal.

That's why I emulate all the hardware synths I want but can't afford. :lol:

But thanks for the clarification!

So it's still ITB but with vintage eq's, that's good to know. :)

lolomo 23rd August 2019 08:26 AM

If anoyne is interested in the results of my plugin testing and different mix approach:

I decided to go Dangerous Music's BAX because it is really good for giving your synths a last touch.

I'm also gonna use the Pulteq EQ's when i think i need to boost a little bit more than with the 'BAX'.

I tried the Vertigo VSM-3 and it sounds great! So Harmonically rich and crisp.
It can be a little bit heavy though, so you need to be careful and use it subtle.

The Maag EQ-4 is also great, especially the 'AIR' knob, which is really giving life to some mixes/synths.

On my mixbus I tried Maag Eq-4 with very subtle settings but 'AIR' on 6.
I also used the VSM 'Hi-FI your mix preset and tweaked it to my liking.
After that I used the bx_townhall compressor.

I also tried some dynamic EQ's which worked out to be pretty good and will be in my mixing toolbox for every mix from now on.

All in all together these things really started to give my mixes more life and I think I will stick to this approach of mixing.

Thanks for your help guys! ;)

tedtan 23rd August 2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolomo (Post 14163936)
Well, as much as i'd love to do that, i'm still a poor student and i have no money for the real deal.

That's why I emulate all the hardware synths I want but can't afford. :lol:

But thanks for the clarification!

So it's still ITB but with vintage eq's, that's good to know. :)

No worries, you can get great mixes in the box these days. I was just clarifying the terminology so we are all on the same page when discussing hybrid workflow.