Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   The Moan Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/)
-   -   Analog or Digital hardware? - Stand trial and confess (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/1275910-analog-digital-hardware-stand-trial-confess.html)

IncarnateX 17th August 2019 07:31 PM

Analog or Digital hardware? - Stand trial and confess

So you are an analog hardware guy, you say? Or a digital hardware guy? Or a bit of both? And you have a lot of opinions about it, right? Sure, but at trial only facts count, so let your studio plead your guilt. Count them!

My record of crime:

Analog:
Deepmind 6
Bassstation 2
Analog 4
Tetra
Toraiz AS-1

Digital:
Korg M3m
Korg Prophecy
Digitone
Yamaha MU100R/VL
Miniak

Hybrid:
JD-Xi

Easy-peacy. Now both you and I know that if I tell you anything else than I am a bit of both, you can call me a liar :heh:

STAND TRIAL AND CONFESS!
(If you have the courage)

DStep ATL 17th August 2019 07:48 PM

Whatever sounds good. Virus TI, Moog grandmother, dreadbox nyx, deepmind 12. Next is modx it appears, followed by, finally, an OB6 I hope by the end of the year. Afraid to go for anything vintage, dont have the money or electronic knowledge to maintain.

RiF 17th August 2019 08:28 PM

I tend to lean towards to analog side of stuff, but that is mostly because of the knob-per-function interface that is more common with analog gear.
But if digitial gear comes with a knob-per-function interface, like most of the Noise Engineering Eurorack modules for example, I don't care about the innards.

StarfishMusic 17th August 2019 09:03 PM

I have plenty of both however it's the old digital synths, romplers, and samplers that are new for me. I didn't used to see the point of having digital stuff when the computer can do it and theoretically sound better while doing it easier. I have eventually discovered that not only do they sound different, but there are tons of free sounds and samples for them. They are also cheap for now... I like the idea of buying a 90s workstation for a few hundred bucks that was thousands new. I bought an 88 key Triton Extreme for $525. That's worth it for the controller alone.

I bought a Yamaha SY99 for $125 because it's LCD is going. It works completely from an editor. Yes Kontakt and FM8 together can provide rompler and FM sounds but the SY99 combines both into one patch. It's also just a completely different character. The samples are small by todays standards but that's cool too. That makes the sampled sounds be more synthetic and less real. I usually like that more than "realistic" sounds because I feel the realistic ones don't actually fool anybody.

That said I'll never pay alot for old digital synths. It's not too far off whats available as plugins. I don't mean hybrids like the ESQ 1 or crazy crunchfests like the SP1200.

cixelsyd 17th August 2019 09:09 PM

Analog

Avalon
MEK
Waldorf pulse 2
Parva

Digital

Cs6r with 2 plg150an cards
Ex5r
Muse receptors x2 (I have neuron vs running on each as well as alchemy)
Integra 7
Fandom Xr
Korg wavestation ad
Fs1r
Tg77
Akai z4
Emu e6400 with rfx32
Emu e5000 with rfx32
Korg triton with sampling all the expansion slots filled and a moss card
Korg triton with moss and sampling
Korg radias
Novation supernova2 with the voice expansion
Nord rack 2x
Access virus b
K5000r
3x k5000s
2x k5000w
2x mv8000
Mv8800
Electron md
Electron mnm
Elektron a4
Elektron rytm
Spectralis 1
Roland v-synth
2x blofeld desktops
Blofeld keys
Fizmo
AN1x
Nord lead 1 with the beveled edge
2x Alesis ions
2x microns
Micromonsta
Preenfm
Modor nf1m

One or two others. I clearly have a bias for digital. I think it’s also pretty evident I’m compensating for a lack of talent.

jazzcabbage 17th August 2019 09:18 PM

Anatal for life

rasseru 17th August 2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cixelsyd (Post 14154819)
Analog

Avalon
MEK
Waldorf pulse 2
Parva

Digital

Cs6r with 2 plg150an cards
Ex5r
Muse receptors x2 (I have neuron vs running on each as well as alchemy)
Integra 7
Fandom Xr
Korg wavestation ad
Fs1r
Tg77
Akai z4
Emu e6400 with rfx32
Emu e5000 with rfx32
Korg triton with sampling all the expansion slots filled and a moss card
Korg triton with moss and sampling
Korg radias
Novation supernova2 with the voice expansion
Nord rack 2x
Access virus b
K5000r
3x k5000s
2x k5000w
2x mv8000
Mv8800
Electron md
Electron mnm
Elektron a4
Elektron rytm
Spectralis 1
Roland v-synth
2x blofeld desktops
Blofeld keys
Fizmo
AN1x
Nord lead 1 with the beveled edge
2x Alesis ions
2x microns
Micromonsta
Preenfm
Modor nf1m

One or two others. I clearly have a bias for digital. I think it’s also pretty evident I’m compensating for a lack of talent.

you've got 6 k5000?????????, 2 blofelds, 2 ions and 2 microns??

Bignatius 17th August 2019 10:27 PM

I have analog stuff.

I have digital stuff.

I have ITB stuff.

I have OTB stuff.

I have new stuff.

I have vintage stuff.

I generally dislike Modeling stuff, Virtual stuff, Emulation stuff, amd other so-called equal stuff.

I prefer Analog and OTB, more and more each day.

But I will always use some degree of both, unless I win the Powerball and can afford things like 96ch of 2" Tape machines with a crew to manage and operate it all, with a giant Studer desk or the like.

I will always feel Analog and OTB are superior, but would rather not debate it for the 1000th time.

kfhkh

cixelsyd 17th August 2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasseru (Post 14154849)
you've got 6 k5000?????????, 2 blofelds, 2 ions and 2 microns??

It’s a bit embarrassing but yes. It’s amazing how people will sell stuff for silly money on eBay just to fuel their next purchase. I got each of the k5000w’s for 300 Australian each or less (about 240 us). A lot of people go with the s version for the knobs but the workstations have more rom sounds and the knobs are easily provided by lemur on an iPad.

Every synth has a trough where their value is it’s lowest because it is no longer the flavour of the month. I bought most of my stuff when it had troughed. I really regret not getting an oberheim matrix 1000 when they were like 300.

I’m about to retire so I’ve been collecting these for almost 20 years with the simple rule of never sell. I also looked at selling a bunch of stuff to fund a Solaris but followed gearslutz advice to hold on to it.

Been composing some tunes over the past few months and I’m getting ready to start recording. The challenge is time. My day job is pretty demanding. I’m an enterprise architect for the local government here which keeps me really busy.

Deviljho 17th August 2019 10:56 PM

K, someone clear this up with me? The JD Xi has a digital synth part, SN engine. And the second digital synth part is the exact same as the first, right? So how could this be considered “two” digital synths?

Me personally, idc. Analog, digital, whatever. They all sound like synths at the end of the day.

chaocrator 17th August 2019 11:08 PM

my only analog machine is Tetra.
all others are digital: Blofeld, Novation Nova, Virus B, Command Stations, Electribe 2, PreenFM2.

Tetra was an impulse purchase inspired by reading Gearsluts :lol: in particular — how cool monosynths are.

unlike VA machines, Tetra does not have built-in FX, so needs some external FX boxes …

Dj Sycamore 17th August 2019 11:09 PM

I lean analog but embrace my digital gear for being just that. Both have their place. I’m not interested in analog modeling though, I don’t want replication. If it’s digital I want it unapologetically so

Bignatius 17th August 2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj Sycamore (Post 14154963)
I lean analog but embrace my digital gear for being just that. Both have their place. I’m not interested in analog modeling though, I don’t want replication. If it’s digital I want it unapologetically so

Precisely.

I look to Digital for what Analog can't do, or - where the cost difference is so extreme that the analog version is just plain unaffordable or unavailable.

Replication (of analog by digital) in any other use case is what I oppose most, personally.

Greg_KPX 17th August 2019 11:23 PM

Both! For instruments AND effects.

Analogue for thickness, depth and imperfection

Digital for cleanliness, flexibility and precision

Seriously, anyone who can afford to and is not using both in 2019, unless strictly doing a 100% retro flavour, is silly.

JPogo 17th August 2019 11:43 PM

Really, it's just a matter of liking the sound. Sometimes that's a matter of ear-education, and sometimes it's a matter of awareness. Sometimes it's a matter of ability: I have a fully-weighted digital piano, but the fact is that my piano ability is terrible, so I sound better on the rompler's piano. But I practice on the weighted one.

Sometimes, I just like something: the D-50, the Korg CX-3, the MS-20 Mini. I bought a DX7 even though I didn't like it much; it just has a certain quality. Then I bought an analog string synth, not just for *that sound* (although that was part of it), but also for how it shaped that sound.

I sympathize with the "analog only" crowd; the music that started me buying synths is all pre-digital. But buying that stuff today is simply not practical, so I'm glad to see digital emulations today. But if Behringer gets affordable analogs on the market, I'm glad for that too boing

zerocrossing 18th August 2019 12:21 AM

Hm.

I have no all digital hardware synths... unless you consider my Dell a digital hardware synth... which I do. I have a bunch of hybrids though...

Analogs:

ATC-X
Prophet 6
Dominion 1

THOSE WHO LIVE BEWEEN WORLDS!

Pro 2
Prophet 12
002r
MicroFreak
Peak

OK. I lied I DO HAVE a DIGITAL!

GEM S2! I’ve never plugged it’s outputs in though... does it count? I’m only using it as a controller, and a fine one it is.

Who cares!

:lol:

I don’t quite get the odd preoccupation with what tech underlies any given synth. The FPGA discussions seem beyond boring to me. How does it matter in the end? Do you like the sound? If yes, buy synth. If no, don’t buy synth. I personally have no hardware digitals in use because with a limited amount of space, I feel I can dedicate what I have to things that have analog elements that make a difference. I’ve got one set of analog inputs left on my interface and I did have my sights on a REV2, but then I heard some Kyra demos that sounded really interesting to me, but aggressive like an analog/digital hybrid. Do I ignore it because it “breaks my rule?” Of course not. I could easily see myself ending up going that way. Will I seem cooler at GearSlutz if I have an all digital hardware synth? :cool:

What I think is that people who use all sorts of hardware and software instruments are the best slutz of all. To me the “I don’t use plugins” crowd seems like a slut who won’t have sex with redheads. No law against it, but man, I’ve been there and... well, that’s a story for another forum. :lol:

Moonwhistle 18th August 2019 12:27 AM

All analog except for DX7 & SK1.

Often run iPad/iPhone through analog synths for real crime.

badmark 18th August 2019 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaocrator (Post 14154962)
my only analog machine is Tetra.
all others are digital: Blofeld, Novation Nova, Virus B, Command Stations, Electribe 2, PreenFM2.

Tetra was an impulse purchase inspired by reading Gearsluts :lol: in particular — how cool monosynths are.

unlike VA machines, Tetra does not have built-in FX, so needs some external FX boxes …

Tetra's not really a monosynth.

The AS-1 has 2 decent blocks of built-in fx and might suit you better, out of the box it has a more 'finished' sound than my Mopho.

grasspike 18th August 2019 02:10 AM

I am 100% Digital now and couldn't be happier. It's all Roland Romplers from the 1990s and Yamaha FM from the 1980s

Roland Romplers
U220
D110
SC880
JV880
jv1080 (3 of them)
jv2080 (2 of them)
xV3
xv3080
xv5050

Every one of the above is fully loaded with expansion cards with the exception of the D110 and SC880

On the Yamaha FM side
TX816 (fully loaded w/ 8 DX7 modules)
TX81Z (3 of them)
TG33
TG77
TX802
PSR-36

Have a bunch of other stuff in storage I will be selling so not listed

I have also condensed my once vast effects collection down to whats inside my X32 mixer (which is a lot) along with a TC Electronic Flashback 4X, feeding a Strymon Bigsky, and an Eventide Timefactor feeding an Eventide Space

I record to both Hi-Fi VHS and Cassette

papasan 18th August 2019 02:19 AM

I look for synths that are able to burp at least one sound that none of the others can.

analog: Jupiter-6, Deepmind12, Peak, OSCar, BassStationII

VA: System-8, JP-8080, 2x MS2000R (for 8 voices), AN1x

digital: JD-800, K5000S

I won't count VSTs because I have never use them in my music.

I plan to get a DX7 to do metallic and grinding/machine drone sounds. And I want a MonoPoly for no reason other than I had one back in the early 80s.

Hazmatic 18th August 2019 02:21 AM

My short crime file:

Analog:
DSI OB-6
+ 1 Analog Mono synth from JD-Xi

Digital:
Roland JD-990
+ 1 Digital Poly synth from JD-Xi

It's a pretty yin/yang setup, if I do say so myself, albeit sparse. No crimes here!

JDoo 18th August 2019 02:40 AM

Analog:
OB-6

Between worlds (I like how @ zerocrossing put it.. will follow suit):
Peak
JD-XA

Digital:
FA-06

They all bring something to the table. AU Instruments as well.

Bignatius 18th August 2019 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grasspike (Post 14155151)
I am 100% Digital now and couldn't be happier. It's all Roland Romplers from the 1990s and Yamaha FM from the 1980s

Roland Romplers
U220
D110
SC880
JV880
jv1080 (3 of them)
jv2080 (2 of them)
xV3
xv3080
xv5050

Every one of the above is fully loaded with expansion cards with the exception of the D110 and SC880

On the Yamaha FM side
TX81Z (3 of them)
TG33
TG77
TX802
PSR-36

I have also condensed my once vast effects collection down to whats inside my X32 mixer (which is a lot) along with a TC Electronic Flashback 4X, feeding a Strymon Bigsky, and an Eventide Timefactor feeding an Eventide Space

Right on. That's an interesting combo, all digital effects and synths - recorded to VHS / Cassette.

Do you mind sharing what VHS and Cassette Decks you use and what Tapes you like for each?

Do you have some of your music posted online?

kcearl 18th August 2019 03:31 AM

I prefer analogue, purely because the music I make now lends itself to their sound, Id use plugs if I was ITB but Ive moved to completely hardware almost other than mixing/mastering and a couple of fx I have no hardware version.

Prologue
MS20 mini
Karp
Monologue
Alpha Juno 2
JX8P
JDXA
JV1080
P08
Pro 2
OB6
Microfreak
Erebus
Manther
VC340
Deepmind12
Neutron
Boog
Circuit Mono Station

So a mixed bag. Just sold an FA, S8, R8, Machinedrum, and Vermona DRM Mk3, and bought four compressors. All drums are covered by my MPC Live now. Thats one area I find analogue totally overrated.

TxH003 18th August 2019 04:03 AM

I like both, analog and digital. Below are the present synths/romplers that I own, but the list is undergoing some changes throughout the year:

Analog / Virtual Analog
* Arturia MicroBrute
* Arturia MiniBrute 2
* DSI Mopho SE
* Korg Arp Odyssey Module V3
* Korg Minilogue XD Module (on order)
* Moog Sirin
* Pioneer DJ Toraiz AS-1
* Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1 Blackbox (x2)
* Roland AIRA System 1m
* Roland Boutique SE-02
* Vermona Mono Lancet '15
* Waldorf Pulse 2

Digital
* Alesis QSR
* Kawai K1m
* Roland D-5
* Roland JV-880
* Waldorf Blofeld

bkbirge 18th August 2019 04:37 AM

I don't know how some of you guys with large numbers of synths manage your sessions without feeling overwhelmed. I'm about at peak management capacity with my big-enough-for-me setup...

Analog
Memorymoog
Moog One
MFB Dominion 1

Digital
Yamaha DX7II
Waldorf XTk

Hybrid
A bunch of eurorack, some analog, some digital

zerocrossing 18th August 2019 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grasspike (Post 14155151)

Roland Romplers
U220
D110
SC880
JV880
jv1080 (3 of them)
jv2080 (2 of them)
xV3
xv3080
xv5050

On the Yamaha FM side
TX81Z (3 of them)
TG33
TG77
TX802
PSR-36

Now we can never be friends.

grasspike 18th August 2019 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bignatius (Post 14155195)
Right on. That's an interesting combo, all digital effects and synths - recorded to VHS / Cassette.

Do you mind sharing what VHS and Cassette Decks you use and what Tapes you like for each?

Do you have some of your music posted online?

Thanks! I'll send you a PM all the details as it's a pretty long explanation of everything. Don't want to hijack this thread

grasspike 18th August 2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerocrossing (Post 14155253)
Now we can never be friends.

I have cookies :)

RiF 18th August 2019 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deviljho (Post 14154955)
K, someone clear this up with me? The JD Xi has a digital synth part, SN engine. And the second digital synth part is the exact same as the first, right? So how could this be considered “two” digital synths?

The JD Xi has both a digital and an analog synth engine. The analog one is only for one part.