Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/)
-   -   Metal song needing critique (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/1275609-metal-song-needing-critique.html)

fictivelifemedia 14th August 2019 08:33 PM

Metal song needing critique

So I’m pretty new to the recording world and I’ve neem trying my luck with recording and mixing. I’m not sure what else I need to do to get a tighter and more glued sound or I guess and overall “better” sound. Would someone be willing to listen to what I have and help me know where to go from here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1fcm4kpqm...x%203.mp3?dl=0

Thanks in advance

Smithburg 17th August 2019 06:26 AM

Dude first of all that is righteous, very rocking, and the guitar tones and playing are awesome. And the whole thing is super tight, very well done.

The biggest thing to me is the drums sound a little too robotic, so they're not really gluing super well in that respect. Also, I don't listen to too much metal, so I could be totally wrong here, but the kick feels a little too clicky and out front. I know metal kicks are prominent and clicky but my ear is wanting it behind the guitars a little more.

Back to the slightly robotic drums though, the cymbals could also feel more human and exciting. Maybe play with more variability like with velocities, different cymbals, etc, but also, for the whole drum bus, try a little compression, either light compression over the bus or blending in a heavily compressed parallel. I know hard rock drum sounds are different from metal drum sounds, but still, for anything heavy, I like to feel the drums breathing a little bit, it feels like heavy tracks need that movement, and it always fits well with huge guitars that are naturally so saturated and compressed.

Then how much have you experimented with compression over the whole mix? I'd play around with typical settings, 1.5:1 or 2:1, compressing anywhere between 1 and 4db, see if anything in there starts to glue the track together for you.

Big Thier 17th August 2019 07:01 PM

To me, the cymbals are a little too bright, and drums too weak. I like the crunchy guitars.

fictivelifemedia 19th August 2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithburg (Post 14153734)
Dude first of all that is righteous, very rocking, and the guitar tones and playing are awesome. And the whole thing is super tight, very well done.

The biggest thing to me is the drums sound a little too robotic, so they're not really gluing super well in that respect. Also, I don't listen to too much metal, so I could be totally wrong here, but the kick feels a little too clicky and out front. I know metal kicks are prominent and clicky but my ear is wanting it behind the guitars a little more.

Back to the slightly robotic drums though, the cymbals could also feel more human and exciting. Maybe play with more variability like with velocities, different cymbals, etc, but also, for the whole drum bus, try a little compression, either light compression over the bus or blending in a heavily compressed parallel. I know hard rock drum sounds are different from metal drum sounds, but still, for anything heavy, I like to feel the drums breathing a little bit, it feels like heavy tracks need that movement, and it always fits well with huge guitars that are naturally so saturated and compressed.

Then how much have you experimented with compression over the whole mix? I'd play around with typical settings, 1.5:1 or 2:1, compressing anywhere between 1 and 4db, see if anything in there starts to glue the track together for you.

Thanks for the feedback, maybe I'm wrong but the clicky sound to the bass drum is what I hear in a lot of metal music and sounds good to me but I can try mixing this up as well. As for the compression, I'm using the SSl-G Master Buss compressor on all the drums and just a SSL-E eq for the cymbals...as for the ratio honestly I'm just winging it...I'm not really sure what I had it set at but I'm literally just turning dials and trying to find what sounds good to me haha.

fictivelifemedia 19th August 2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Thier (Post 14154626)
To me, the cymbals are a little too bright, and drums too weak. I like the crunchy guitars.

Thank you, I'll try to lower the cymbals and boost the drums a bit more.

Smithburg 19th August 2019 07:23 PM

Cool man I get it. Well yeah again, just see about those cymbals, like the other poster said, maybe just pulling them down a bit. But see what you can do to vary them. Then if you haven't yet, try compressing the whole mix a little, not just the busses. Try it lightly across the mix bus itself, then also try it in parallel with heavier compression. Some version of that might give you the glue you're looking for. The light pumping and ducking can make a heavy track sound huge and a lot more like a record.

Smithburg 19th August 2019 07:41 PM

Hey I just gave it another listen. Part of the non-glue might also be that the drums have a different zone of brightness from the guitars. That's not wrong - things need different emphasis to avoid masking. But it can also create situations where your instruments don't sound like they belong to the same record.

Try listening to your tracks on different systems; sometimes you don't notice these frequency issues until you hit different speakers. But just passing that along since noticed it this time. As I was listening, I found myself wanting the drum brightness to fit the guitars a little better.