Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   Open a monitor speaker to remove stuck jack connector (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1275015-open-monitor-speaker-remove-stuck-jack-connector.html)

Donedeal0 9th August 2019 11:47 AM

Open a monitor speaker to remove stuck jack connector

Hi,

While pulling a jack cable out of a monitor speaker, the connector broke and remained stuck in the plug.

I think I could easily remove it by opening the speaker with a screwdriver, but there is a warning message near the volume button which says: "warning, do not open, risk of electrical shock!".

I'm crap at fixing stuff (even Ikea furnitures turn me mad haha), so I'm wondering if there is really a risk to open this speaker? Is it simple inside? Do I jeopardize myself by opening it without any experience?

bert stoltenborg 9th August 2019 12:11 PM

Remove the power chord. There are capacitors on the amp board that can be charged, stay away from them. Then you should be fine.

TSM 9th August 2019 12:24 PM

It will also be worth saying some jack housings are sealed to stop dust, so you might not be able to get to the bit that broke from inside. A trick I have used where a headphone jack has broken off is to get a pencil, small dab of superglue on the flat end, pop it in leave for an hour and remove with hopefully broken bit attached to pencil....

Donedeal0 9th August 2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSM (Post 14140012)
It will also be worth saying some jack housings are sealed to stop dust, so you might not be able to get to the bit that broke from inside. A trick I have used where a headphone jack has broken off is to get a pencil, small dab of superglue on the flat end, pop it in leave for an hour and remove with hopefully broken bit attached to pencil....

I think I'll try your solution first! Thanks for your advices!

bert stoltenborg 9th August 2019 03:36 PM

If you glue the pencil into the socket you're f*cked

Donedeal0 9th August 2019 05:23 PM

So I've eventually opened the speaker, the jack plug is welded to the electronic circuit and the stuck connector remains unreachable. The super-glue trick doesn't work. I'm screw*d.

TSM 9th August 2019 07:01 PM

Don't panic... Could you take a photo so we can help further?

Donedeal0 9th August 2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSM (Post 14140645)
Don't panic... Could you take a photo so we can help further?

I'm fine ;). Unfortunately, I sent the speaker to a repairer, so I won't be able to take a picture at the moment. However, here is a picture found on Google which is quite close to the position of the jack plug:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MckPhdqG3...600/labels.jpg

As you can see, the jack plug is welded to the electronic circuit (it's the grey box on top of the electronic circuit), and I can't access the stuck connector. I think the repairer will have to remove it, and weld a fresh one.

TSM 9th August 2019 07:41 PM

Ok thanks for the picture. TBH looks like all the other type of jack sockets around so your repairer should have no problem desoldering and replacing it. kfhkh

Donedeal0 10th August 2019 09:01 AM

Good to hear! So now I have to work during a week with one speaker only, and this lead me to my last question: is it safe for the remaining speaker and my computer to plug one rca connector in it while the other remains in the open air? You know, any contact on a unplugged rca or jack can sometimes cause a big saturation.

TSM 10th August 2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donedeal0 (Post 14141620)
Good to hear! So now I have to work during a week with one speaker only, and this lead me to my last question: is it safe for the remaining speaker and my computer to plug one rca connector in it while the other remains in the open air? You know, any contact on a unplugged rca or jack can sometimes cause a big saturation.

It's no problem. Just leave the unconnected rca free floating (not touching anything). I would suggest putting a stereo to mono plugin on your output bus to work in mono kfhkh

Donedeal0 10th August 2019 10:41 AM

Thank you so much for your help ;)!