Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Newfangled Audio/Eventide Saturator (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1274703-newfangled-audio-eventide-saturator.html)

MichaelDroste 6th August 2019 09:00 PM

Newfangled Audio/Eventide Saturator
 
Eventide releases saturator $29 looks very cool

Saturate adds up to 24 dB of overdrive to individual tracks or your entire mix without effecting the tonal balance no matter how hard you push it. Previously only available as part of the Elevate mastering bundle, now you can add Saturate to your plug-in arsenal and add some excitement to your sound.

Smoothly adjust from the softest to the hardest possible clipping shape
Spectral Clipper maintains tonal balance for an always pleasant saturation sound
Independent INPUT and OUTPUT levels, with AUTO output level scaling for easy and precise gain scaling
Saturation Curve Display and Meter shows you how your signal is hitting the selected clipping shape
Mastering Quality Input and Output metering show you both peak and rms levels
Additionally, the SHAPE control allows you to smoothly morph between hard clipping and the mathematically smoothest curve possible.


https://www.eventideaudio.com/produc...ation/saturate

miscend 6th August 2019 09:25 PM

This is not a new product. It's part of their Mastering suite.

Eventide and Newfangled Audio releases two new plug-ins for Elevate Bundle 1.5

overdriiive 6th August 2019 09:41 PM

New or not, I just bought it on sale. Sounds really great. I am a saturator addict. Glad to add this to the collection.

dione 6th August 2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miscend (Post 14135604)
This is not a new product. It's part of their Mastering suite.

Eventide and Newfangled Audio releases two new plug-ins for Elevate Bundle 1.5

It is. But it hasn't been available outside the bundle.

M Albazy 7th August 2019 01:26 AM

It's a clipper more than a saturation/distortion plugin. I use it in mixing and mastering, light on CPU yet very impressive performance I mean I can get some serious RMS levels in a good way or catch those excessive peaks. Just adjust the Shape per source and set the output to Auto ... Highly recommended for $29.

ChocolateHawkins 7th August 2019 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Albazy (Post 14135928)
It's a clipper more than a saturation/distortion plugin. I use it in mixing and mastering, light on CPU yet very impressive performance I mean I can get some serious RMS levels in a good way or catch those excessive peaks. Just adjust the Shape per source and set the output to Auto ... Highly recommended for $29.

You sold me on it. Haven’t even demoed. I’m obsessed with saturation and clipping and the look of this thing and the implied ease of use is huge for me. Hearing it’s CPU light does it for me. Thanks.

M Albazy 7th August 2019 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins (Post 14135962)
You sold me on it. Haven’t even demoed. I’m obsessed with saturation and clipping and the look of this thing and the implied ease of use is huge for me. Hearing it’s CPU light does it for me. Thanks.

haha yeah I'm a clipping guy ... And this thing works really well, specially when combined a with a compressor just before it levelling out the dynamics and the Saturate catching all the spiky peaks, works like a treat this way rockout

Teknik 7th August 2019 04:38 AM

Oversampling?

MusicLov3r 7th August 2019 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Albazy (Post 14135928)
It's a clipper more than a saturation/distortion plugin. I use it in mixing and mastering, light on CPU yet very impressive performance I mean I can get some serious RMS levels in a good way or catch those excessive peaks. Just adjust the Shape per source and set the output to Auto ... Highly recommended for $29.

So essentially it is the saturate plug from the Elevate bundle ?

One can get some "serious RMS levels" with TONS of tools nowadays...

M Albazy 7th August 2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicLov3r (Post 14136195)
So essentially it is the saturate plug from the Elevate bundle ?

One can get some "serious RMS levels" with TONS of tools nowadays...

Sure there're "TONS" can do that, so just buy and use what you like.

rhysmix 7th August 2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknik (Post 14136157)
Oversampling?

Nope. The aliasing is there, about -96dB below with the sine sample that became the de facto standard over on the "ultimate plugin analysis" thread at -12dBFS (chosen that's where my peaks usually end up) and 6dB of drive.

It sounds different from SIR StandardCLIP for example. I haven't done intensive comparisons, but it seems to be softer and potentially more useful as a "color" than StandardCLIP, which basically sounds like nothing at all (which is awesome in a different way).

Seems like StandardCLIP at 8x oversampling is still the standard clipper (haha) for super low aliasing, low oversampling filter preringing etc etc., but that the ways in which the Newfangled Saturator colors the sound could be useful.

Also major props to Newfangled for nailing the autogain (which StandardCLIP doesn't have at all; not a problem in hard clipping mode but the second you bring in some soft clipping it introduces the tedium of loudness matching)

ChocolateHawkins 7th August 2019 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhysmix (Post 14136236)
Nope. The aliasing is there, about -96dB below with the sine sample that became the de facto standard over on the "ultimate plugin analysis" thread at -12dBFS (chosen that's where my peaks usually end up) and 6dB of drive.

It sounds different from SIR StandardCLIP for example. I haven't done intensive comparisons, but it seems to be softer and potentially more useful as a "color" than StandardCLIP, which basically sounds like nothing at all (which is awesome in a different way).

Seems like StandardCLIP at 8x oversampling is still the standard clipper (haha) for super low aliasing, low oversampling filter preringing etc etc., but that the ways in which the Newfangled Saturator colors the sound could be useful.

Also major props to Newfangled for nailing the autogain (which StandardCLIP doesn't have at all; not a problem in hard clipping mode but the second you bring in some soft clipping it introduces the tedium of loudness matching)

This tops StandardCLIP for the colouration/clipping/soft saturation thing. I’ll still use Standard for pure clipping though.

Teknik 7th August 2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhysmix (Post 14136236)
Nope. The aliasing is there, about -96dB below with the sine sample that became the de facto standard over on the "ultimate plugin analysis" thread at -12dBFS (chosen that's where my peaks usually end up) and 6dB of drive.

It sounds different from SIR StandardCLIP for example. I haven't done intensive comparisons, but it seems to be softer and potentially more useful as a "color" than StandardCLIP, which basically sounds like nothing at all (which is awesome in a different way).

Seems like StandardCLIP at 8x oversampling is still the standard clipper (haha) for super low aliasing, low oversampling filter preringing etc etc., but that the ways in which the Newfangled Saturator colors the sound could be useful.

Also major props to Newfangled for nailing the autogain (which StandardCLIP doesn't have at all; not a problem in hard clipping mode but the second you bring in some soft clipping it introduces the tedium of loudness matching)

Thanks for the detailed response!

I ended up downloading a demo of Saturate after posting this and completely agree with everything you've said, StandardCLIP is my go-to here and I love it to bits but I think Saturate deserves a spot in the toolbox too, it's definitely got its own thing going on.

Jeezo 7th August 2019 09:51 AM

I usually use the clipping in Alpha comp'in a mastering scenario. Anybody compared ?

lydfar 7th August 2019 10:08 AM

StandardCLIP is pretty light on the CPU right? Or is this new one better?

ChocolateHawkins 7th August 2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lydfar (Post 14136402)
StandardCLIP is pretty light on the CPU right? Or is this new one better?

I’m finding this lighter. It’s also more straightforward. Really you’ve got to try it. I was instantly impressed.

trevon 7th August 2019 07:20 PM

So if you have elevate like I do there's no reason to purchase this correct?

RitchieBorg 7th August 2019 08:10 PM

Just demoed this for a while, I think I like it, seems to have a big sweetspot and works on both subtle and more extreme settings.
Always been running away from saturation not understanding what to do with either not hearing a thing or a farty mess!

But this thing seems to enchance the source in a way I can actually appreciate and seems versatile enough to maybe buy after some more testing!

DGillespie 7th August 2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevon (Post 14137082)
So if you have elevate like I do there's no reason to purchase this correct?

If you have Elevate Bundle you already have Saturate.

ChocolateHawkins 7th August 2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGillespie (Post 14137161)
If you have Elevate Bundle you already have Saturate.

I'm loving Saturate. Phenomenal work! I see there is an upgrade path to Elevate - I have EQuivocate and now Saturate. Are there sales ever on the upgrades? I missed the intro EQuivocate to Elevate a while back.

DGillespie 7th August 2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins (Post 14137169)
I'm loving Saturate. Phenomenal work! I see there is an upgrade path to Elevate - I have EQuivocate and now Saturate. Are there sales ever on the upgrades? I missed the intro EQuivocate to Elevate a while back.

Thank you.

There are occasional sales on upgrades to Elevate. I wouldn't expect that you'll have to wait too long.

ChocolateHawkins 7th August 2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGillespie (Post 14137178)
Thank you.

There are occasional sales on upgrades to Elevate. I wouldn't expect that you'll have to wait too long.

Thanks Dan!

BM Grabber 7th August 2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevon (Post 14137082)
So if you have elevate like I do there's no reason to purchase this correct?

But if you only need the saturation/clipper, this is way more cpu friendly

DGillespie 7th August 2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BM Grabber (Post 14137289)
But if you only need the saturation/clipper, this is way more cpu friendly

And cheaper!

M Albazy 7th August 2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeezo (Post 14136384)
I usually use the clipping in Alpha comp'in a mastering scenario. Anybody compared ?

I did .. I used to use the Alpha clipping for years in mastering (It was that good years ago). But since I got kClip v3 and sometimes this Saturate I've never used it.

Saturate is way better in the mix, does an excellent job with 0% harm on the cpu and super simple to operate.

StandardClip is nice (not the best, nothing the best .. it's all personal) the issue I have is that it always crashes S1 Pro, works fine in PT tho.

Rob Humanoid 7th August 2019 11:44 PM

Want this!rockout

BM Grabber 7th August 2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeezo (Post 14136384)
I usually use the clipping in Alpha comp'in a mastering scenario. Anybody compared ?

The soft clipping in the Alpha is absolutely great... and I would not use this one on the masterbus or in mastering before that one.

But for single tracks and/or busses this is easy and fast to set up, and sounds good (if used with some care) kfhkh

Jeezo 8th August 2019 12:12 AM

Thks guyz , what i like on the alpha is it s the channel unlink option witch is an absolute must for me to stabilise pan level modulation on some stereo uncontrolled materials ... can we process L/R m/s with this one ?

Kclip is to crazy on cpu here so i didn t gave it a deep run since it was unusable ..

DGillespie 8th August 2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeezo (Post 14137512)
Thks guyz , what i like on the alpha is it s the channel unlink option witch is an absolute must for me to stabilise pan level modulation on some stereo uncontrolled materials ... can we process L/R m/s with this one ?

Kclip is to crazy on cpu here so i didn t gave it a deep run since it was unusable ..

Saturate is unlinked only. Essentially it's running dual mono.

Jeezo 8th August 2019 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGillespie (Post 14137565)
Saturate is unlinked only. Essentially it's running dual mono.

Super ...time for demo ... i m so used to monitoring section now in plugin ...i think it should be standart ...things get more and more complex nowdayz ...