Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-acoustic-music-and-location-recording/)
-   -   Allen & Heath SQ series as recording interface vs. mid-level interfaces (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-acoustic-music-and-location-recording/1274522-allen-amp-heath-sq-series-recording-interface-vs-mid-level-interfaces.html)

Chrshv80 5th August 2019 03:46 AM

Allen & Heath SQ series as recording interface vs. mid-level interfaces

I currently have an Antelope Goliath interface and Behringer X18 mixer (yes, an odd combination) and am thinking about selling the Goliath and either going an RME Thunderbolt interface (for better driver stability) or possibly an Allen & Heath SQ-6 to do dual duty as a remote recording interface and live sound mixer.

Has anyone used the A&H for multi-track recording capability? I know their preamp quality is outstanding for live music but wondering if A/D conversion quality would at least approach mid-level interfaces. The Behringer X18 is okay for small groups but I hate relying on a laptop or pad for faders and prefer a real board. I’d probably get an RME down the road if I get the Allen and Heath and it wears both hats for awhile.

tourtelot 5th August 2019 03:56 AM

So I can only speak of my overall love for the A&H SQ series in general. I just got one to replace a Presonus SL24AI (which I was NEVER happy with for a number of reasons) and the SQ6 is an awesome tool. For me, being able to connect to my Dante network at 96k was the most important ability, which it does, perfectly.

But as I use it, it has quickly become obvious that it is a very intuitive panel, sounds great, has a ton of patching options, good native EFX and some special optional plug-in that work really well.

I have tried the USB recording function, and it seemed to work as advertised, but I won't ever use it because I have dedicated recorders on the network, so I can't really speak to that function for day in, day out use.

For what it's worth, A&H customer service, and especially the user forums are well behaved, kind to newbies and populated with A&H tech support staff. All a really good way to have questions answered and problems solved.

I certainly can highly recommend this panel. It rocks!

D.

Chrshv80 5th August 2019 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourtelot (Post 14132722)
So I can only speak of my overall love for the A&H SQ series in general. I just got one to replace a Presonus SL24AI (which I was NEVER happy with for a number of reasons) and the SQ6 is an awesome tool. For me, being able to connect to my Dante network at 96k was the most important ability, which it does, perfectly.

But as I use it, it has quickly become obvious that it is a very intuitive panel, sounds great, has a ton of patching options, good native EFX and some special optional plug-in that work really well.

I have tried the USB recording function, and it seemed to work as advertised, but I won't ever use it because I have dedicated recorders on the network, so I can't really speak to that function for day in, day out use.

For what it's worth, A&H customer service, and especially the user forums are well behaved, kind to newbies and populated with A&H tech support staff. All a really good way to have questions answered and problems solved.

I certainly can highly recommend this panel. It rocks!

D.

Thanks for your feedback! I did a live show mix for Gretchen Parlato with a friend of mine who was using the Galesburg, IL Orpheum Theatre’s dLive console with RCF line array speakers and the sound quality was sublime. That console did not have the expansion card to record (nor did we have permission) but it sounded just as good as her live recorded album.

hughshouse 5th August 2019 11:31 AM

For those of us that are pursuing world class FP32/96k processing the SQ line is a no brainer. SQ has no price/value competition in the market place today.
Hugh

cheu78 5th August 2019 10:01 PM

Can only agree with all of the above!
Go for it!

howdy

Cheu

niversen 7th August 2019 08:45 PM

I purchased an SQ-5 a few months ago so that the studio network could all run at 96Khz. It replaced a Midas M32R. For me, it is the monitor path, and the AD input for my synthesizers. Now that Dynamic EQ is available for it, it really gives everything that used to be on the $20k boards that I wanted in a sub $3k package. Simply amazing. I'd love an SSL Live L100, but I really don't need it!

Also, with respect to the sound quality of the front end, it is indeed mid-grade interface quality. It is not as good as Rupert Neve 5024's into Focusrite Rednet, which in turn is not as good as the Sonosax SX-R4+. But there is a smaller difference from the RND/Focusrite to Sonosax than from the SQ5 to the RND/Focusrite. I use it to bring in the analog synths in the studio, and for this it works well. I set the noise gates to close the channels when they aren't in use.