Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   ISO hardware sampler/sequencer with alternating samples (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1272947-iso-hardware-sampler-sequencer-alternating-samples.html)

oinkbanana 21st July 2019 03:20 PM

ISO hardware sampler/sequencer with alternating samples
 
Does a hardware sampler/sequencer exist that allows for alternating samples? Round robin or random.

Misonic 22nd July 2019 08:03 AM

E-MU E4XT Ultra can do random, from the manual:

"Random Sources
Random modulation sources can be used when you want the timbre of the
sound to be “animated” in a random or non-consistent manner.
..
The Crossfade Random function generates the same random value for
all voices in a preset. This source is designed to be used for crossfading
voices(samples), although you may find other uses.
..
In certain situations, such as setting up drum kits, you may want to
randomly switch between several voices. Crossfade Random is a
modulation source specifically designed to handle this situation. Unlike the
other random sources, Crossfade Random generates one random number
for all voices that are assigned to the same key.
"

Those random generators can be used in the matrix(cords) to all kinds of destinations among other things sample crossfading.

Cheers,

M

Mystic38 22nd July 2019 11:36 AM

Pretty much any mpc has this

CarLofgren 22nd July 2019 12:06 PM

Think the MPC 1000/2500 JJOS can do that.

/C

Acid Mitch 22nd July 2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic38 (Post 14108637)
Pretty much any mpc has this

60, 3000, 2000 and 2000xl don't. With Mpc1000 you need jj os because the Akai os doesn't have it.

Mystic38 22nd July 2019 04:07 PM

thanks for the clarification, I had thought that pretty much all MPC can play multiple samples per pad and switch between them, using velocity, round robin or random...

however my experience with the hardware MPCs is limited to the the MPC5000 so there's that..lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acid Mitch (Post 14108689)
60, 3000, 2000 and 2000xl don't. With Mpc1000 you need jj os because the Akai os doesn't have it.


Jamie munro 22nd July 2019 09:20 PM

Octatrack can do random sample selection

Arguably you could also do round robin although I'd have to try but with the designer lfo I see no reason why not

Mastropiero 22nd July 2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misonic (Post 14108446)
E-MU E4XT Ultra can do random, from the manual:

"Random Sources
Random modulation sources can be used when you want the timbre of the
sound to be “animated” in a random or non-consistent manner.
..
The Crossfade Random function generates the same random value for
all voices in a preset. This source is designed to be used for crossfading
voices(samples), although you may find other uses.
..
In certain situations, such as setting up drum kits, you may want to
randomly switch between several voices. Crossfade Random is a
modulation source specifically designed to handle this situation. Unlike the
other random sources, Crossfade Random generates one random number
for all voices that are assigned to the same key.
"

Those random generators can be used in the matrix(cords) to all kinds of destinations among other things sample crossfading.

Cheers,

M

Isn't it a generic EOS4 feature? If the E4XT can do it, it's probably available on any Emulator 4 ULTRA capable of loading the latest OS version (4.61 or 4.70).

Misonic 23rd July 2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastropiero (Post 14109748)
Isn't it a generic EOS4 feature? If the E4XT can do it, it's probably available on any Emulator 4 ULTRA capable of loading the latest OS version (4.61 or 4.70).

Well u have to set it up first and save as preset, then u can reuse it with different samples and so on..

Monotremata 23rd July 2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic38 (Post 14108979)
thanks for the clarification, I had thought that pretty much all MPC can play multiple samples per pad and switch between them, using velocity, round robin or random...

however my experience with the hardware MPCs is limited to the the MPC5000 so there's that..lol

Think thats only in the new ones or the MPC Software (or a JJOS 1000/2500 as mentioned). They have velocity/cycle/random for options.

negation 23rd July 2019 08:45 AM

On the Elektron Digitakt you can randomize the sample slot selection via the LFO sample and hold style.

Acid Mitch 24th July 2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic38 (Post 14108979)
thanks for the clarification, I had thought that pretty much all MPC can play multiple samples per pad and switch between them, using velocity, round robin or random l

The 60 has two layers you can velocity switch and you can have three samples on the high hat slider but no round robin or random or anything. It has no filters or effects or anything either.
By the time you get to 2000xl there are 4 velocity layers but still no round robin or random.