Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Remote Possibilities in Location Recording & Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-location-recording-amp-production/)
-   -   MKH 8020 discontinued? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-location-recording-amp-production/1270387-mkh-8020-discontinued.html)

shosty 27th June 2019 06:28 PM

MKH 8020 discontinued?
 
Has anyone heard any news that the MKH 8020 is being discontinued? Or maybe I'm totally out of the loop.

I ordered a pair through Sweetwater. We didn't hear any thing for quite a while. There was no ETA for the mics...Crickets.

So my sales rep looked into it and he received word from the Sennheiser reps that the 8020 is now discontinued.

I emailed Sennheiser myself and I got this vague response,

"I am not showing that we have inventory of this product and that it is being discontinued."

If the 8020 is discontinued, I am assuming the 8000 series is discontinued. But the bigger question is...is their a new product on the horizon?

Anyway, looks like the MKH 20 is still available, which I'll be ordering.

Plush 27th June 2019 07:03 PM

No, it is NOT discontinued.

Fake news.

king2070lplaya 27th June 2019 08:10 PM

Good to hear! So what's the REAL news, Hudson? What's the scoop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 14063973)
No, it is NOT discontinued.

Fake news.


Plush 27th June 2019 08:23 PM

Can be ordered from any dealer.

I have been told by Sweeteater on other occasions that a piece of gear was discontinued when it was not discontinued. It depends if you are dealing with a pro there or not.

I did recently (within in the last 2 weeks) buy some more MKH 8020 mics. Luv the low bass extension on these muthas.

shosty 27th June 2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 14064125)
Can be ordered from any dealer.

I have been told by Sweeteater on other occasions that a piece of gear was discontinued when it was not discontinued. It depends if you are dealing with a pro there or not.

I did recently (within in the last 2 weeks) buy some more MKH 8020 mics. Luv the low bass extension on these muthas.

Ok, good news. But I think it was the Senny reps who delivered the info to the Sweetwater sales rep.

shosty 27th June 2019 08:49 PM

Actually, I'm told now it was the distributor of the mics that confirmed they are discontinued.

Not sure how the whole system works between distributors, parent companies, and retail businesses.

I really want a pair of these mics though.

Plush 27th June 2019 09:28 PM

No they didn't confirm anything!

Buy them today!

In stock at ThomannUSA
In stock at Thomannmusic.com

For cello move to Coles 4038 ribbon.

shosty 27th June 2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 14064243)
No they didn't confirm anything!

Buy them today!

In stock at ThomannUSA
In stock at Thomannmusic.com

For cello move to Coles 4038 ribbon.

Ok sounds good, Plush. Thanks

Earcatcher 27th June 2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 14064243)
In stock at ThomannUSA
In stock at Thomannmusic.com

That's a European dealer (which stocks a lot of stuff). Maybe there's a clue in there.

tourtelot 28th June 2019 12:36 AM

Those silly tariffs! Haha.

D.

dogmusic 28th June 2019 04:51 AM

Still available at B&H...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Condenser.html

(No affiliation.)

didier.brest 28th June 2019 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourtelot (Post 14064495)
Those silly tariffs!

20% VAT included in Thomann 2499 € Europea price for a stereo pair: 2082.5 € ~ 2374 $ VAT excluded. Professionals and non European customers don't pay VAT.

2400 $ in USA ?

Klimermonk 28th June 2019 12:44 PM

AFAIK Thomann will disallow you from purchasing Sennheiser products if you are located in the USA.

Maybe someone has had a different experience?

shosty 28th June 2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogmusic (Post 14064769)
Still available at B&H...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Condenser.html

(No affiliation.)

Thanks for the link. It says special order so, not being in stock, I wonder what would happen if someone tried to order them.

dogmusic 28th June 2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shosty (Post 14065227)
Thanks for the link. It says special order so, not being in stock, I wonder what would happen if someone tried to order them.

It looks like a lot of their Schoeps stuff is special order, so that may not be significant.

studer58 28th June 2019 01:41 PM

https://en-de.sennheiser.com/recordi...brass-mkh-8020

NorseHorse 28th June 2019 04:04 PM

Word from Sennheiser rep here is that they manufacture them infrequently and so sometimes run out of stock on 8020s for the while.

The MZD8000 digital module will be discontinued: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/mzd-8000

shosty 28th June 2019 07:14 PM

Matched pair discontinued
 
Ok, it's been sorted out with purchasing at Sweetwater. Here's the info in case it happens to you...

I asked for a matched pair of the 8020s (item no. 506288), which came back as discontinued.

You have to purchase the mics separately (item no. 506287) but they should be within 1 db across the spectrum.

Glad I'm getting the mics after all!

Thanks everyone!

Mike Paul 28th June 2019 07:27 PM

Odd, both the 8020 (#506287) and 8020 Stereo Pair (#506288) are still listed as current on the most recent Dealer Price sheet (dated 07/01/2019) and are not on the Discontinuation list they sent out last month. Possibly just an oversight

shosty 28th June 2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Paul (Post 14065844)
Odd, both the 8020 (#506287) and 8020 Stereo Pair (#506288) are still listed as current on the most recent Dealer Price sheet (dated 07/01/2019) and are not on the Discontinuation list they sent out last month. Possibly just an oversight

Just talked to Sennheiser and they confirmed the matched pair is still available.

I'll get it sorted out.

In any event - it's all just a false alarm.

studer58 28th June 2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shosty (Post 14065821)
Ok, it's been sorted out with purchasing at Sweetwater. Here's the info in case it happens to you...

I asked for a matched pair of the 8020s (item no. 506288), which came back as discontinued.

You have to purchase the mics separately (item no. 506287) but they should be within 1 db across the spectrum.

Glad I'm getting the mics after all!

Thanks everyone!

Uncertainty situation settled....but re-opens the old question, oft-discussed here, of whether pair matching of tightly spec-ed mics is necessary...if they're already rolling off the production line at +\- 1dB max sample variation ?

Bruce Watson 28th June 2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studer58 (Post 14066105)
...if they're already rolling off the production line at +\- 1dB max sample variation ?

The problem is that they are not "rolling off the production line". It's not like they make millions of these a year. Or even 100,000. Or even 10,000. I'm willing to guess publicly that most mics are made in batches (which is a different manufacturing method than a production line) and that most assembly is done by hand, either with special tooling to help or not.

If these things were memory chips being made in a fully automated fab by Samsung, I'd say it's unlikely that pair matching would be necessary. But at some level below the memory chip level pair matching is going to be desirable.

But here's the question -- what level is *that* level?

studer58 28th June 2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Watson (Post 14066260)
The problem is that they are not "rolling off the production line". It's not like they make millions of these a year. Or even 100,000. Or even 10,000. I'm willing to guess publicly that most mics are made in batches (which is a different manufacturing method than a production line) and that most assembly is done by hand, either with special tooling to help or not.

If these things were memory chips being made in a fully automated fab by Samsung, I'd say it's unlikely that pair matching would be necessary. But at some level below the memory chip level pair matching is going to be desirable.

But here's the question -- what level is *that* level?

But, if as quoted above, the standard inter-sample variation is 1dB (or less)....and if that figure is deemed acceptable for matching...then pair matching (for many folk) could be deemed redundant ? If instead it were +\- 3 (or more) dB then an excellent case for selection, measurement and matching is validated. Most mfrs in the Schoeps/ Rode/Sennheiser league realise this, and offer the service, for a fee

Rolo 46 28th June 2019 11:23 PM

I waited 9 months for a black pair of MKH 800 and gave up.....
The MZD 30 Stereo MS clip is now obsolete
Its not looking good.

Roger

David Spearritt 28th June 2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolo 46 (Post 14066295)
I waited 9 months for a black pair of MKH 800 and gave up.....
The MZD 30 Stereo MS clip is now obsolete
Its not looking good.

Roger

This is a real worry. Especially the AES42 digital stuff, too, being unavailable.

I have found that in Australia when one wants to buy a high end mic, new, retail, all sorts of explanations abound about the delivery time when you lay your money down. It seems that almost all are made to order now. I understand about the retailer not being able to stock such "esoteric" items but one would think the euro manuf would have stock and its just a shipping exercise.

Second hand is how I have bought my last few mics.

Still thinking about a pair of Twins, though. But will have to dump quite a few mics to afford them.

studer58 28th June 2019 11:57 PM

Clearly there are various priorities and economic viability factors at play when a mfr discontinues a product line. It can be a slow shepherding process toward a newly evolved replacement, with the current line being maintained while demand exists....or something much more abrupt and unexpected (on the buying public's part)

A good example of this is the maintenance of the MKHxx mic production while the MKH80xx range slowly expanded...with the notable absence of the MKH8030. The product line overlap there existed for, what....10 or more years ?

I was surprised by that generosity on Sennheiser's part....many other companies would have shut down the earlier line a lot more promptly, but maybe the same personnel were in the end assembling both types, and alternating between the 2 production lines, as demand dictated ?

The consequences of an unexpected discontinuation can be many: the used market soars to crazy heights as scarcity kicks in, and Chinese fakes make their appearance, to fill the demand vacuum.

shosty 29th June 2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studer58 (Post 14066289)
But, if as quoted above, the standard inter-sample variation is 1dB (or less)....and if that figure is deemed acceptable for matching...then pair matching (for many folk) could be deemed redundant ? If instead it were +\- 3 (or more) dB then an excellent case for selection, measurement and matching is validated. Most mfrs in the Schoeps/ Rode/Sennheiser league realise this, and offer the service, for a fee

It seems to me matching even makes less difference with AB omnis when precise stereo imaging isn't even possible. Perhaps a significantly unmatched omni pair could result in more image wondering...not sure.

rumleymusic 29th June 2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studer58 (Post 14066105)
Uncertainty situation settled....but re-opens the old question, oft-discussed here, of whether pair matching of tightly spec-ed mics is necessary...if they're already rolling off the production line at +\- 1dB max sample variation ?

They come in a different box. That is about the biggest difference.

I’ve bought an unmatched pair and matched pair of the mkh8040 and either worked together perfectly with the same gain setting.

Rolo 46 29th June 2019 05:43 PM

I like the MKH 800 V much
Different from my MKH 80s

John Willett 30th June 2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shosty (Post 14064167)
Actually, I'm told now it was the distributor of the mics that confirmed they are discontinued.

Not sure how the whole system works between distributors, parent companies, and retail businesses.

I really want a pair of these mics though.

There is no "distributor" in the USA.

Sennheiser USA is wholly owned by Sennheiser Germany - it's the same company.