Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Avid Pro Tools (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/avid-pro-tools/)
-   -   New Pro Tools Pricing July 1 2019 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/avid-pro-tools/1269275-new-pro-tools-pricing-july-1-2019-a.html)

Realtugs 18th June 2019 12:21 PM

New Pro Tools Pricing July 1 2019

Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments

We wanted to give you a heads up on some important changes regarding the pricing of our Creative Software products. We are announcing that we have adjusted several of the prices of these offerings effective July 1, 2019. Some prices have increased, some have stayed the same and some have decreased.

As many of you know, the entire technology industry is going through a major shift from perpetual licenses to a new business model focused on subscription. This directional change is a positive shift for many users that are interested in more flexible and affordable payment options and only paying for those features, functions or services they need to access. Avid is always looking at ways to improve efficiencies in this area and while we have maintained the same pricing since our subscription offers started over 5 years ago, that will be changing. We continue to deliver new innovations, as well as new ways of enabling our customers to do their jobs faster and easier. This includes the recent announcements of the 2019 releases of Media Composer, Pro Tools 2019.x and Sibelius 2019.x.

A major focus of our analysis was on the shift from perpetual to subscription models and as a result we have increased the number and appeal of cross-grade offers for those that are interested in shifting from perpetual to subscription. We have also increased the number of payment options for subscription, including pay up front annually, commit annually but pay monthly and pay as you go, monthly. In addition, we have decided that customers currently subscribing to Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius will not have a price increase, however they must continue to keep their subscription current in order to maintain their existing price.

Please know that Avid understands the impact and implication of price increases and this is not a decision we take lightly or without significant analysis and thought. For those of you that are currently on Perpetual Licenses, the increase ranges from 0-33% on new licenses depending on the product and type of license. As an alternative to renewing at the new pricing, there are incentives for you to cross-grade from your current perpetual license to subscription, like decreased pricing and additional functionality, depending on the product. We would highly recommend that you look at those options as you consider your next renewal.

Q - Will Avid still offer BOTH perpetual and subscription offerings?

A - We will continue to offer perpetual pricing as an option. However, going forward the preferred pricing model will be subscription-based pricing, because this is the direction of the entire industry and the way people would prefer to license software. In addition, Avid will continue to offer perpetual renewal programs for all products.

Q - Will Avid still support dongles?

A - Yes, Avid will support dongles and iLok for managing their licenses.

Q - Will Avid still support Perpetual reinstatement programs?

A - Avid will continue to offer reinstatements

Q - If my Support Contract on my Perpetual license expires after July 1, 2019, can it be removed beforehand at the older price?

A
- Yes, you can renew the upgrade and support plan on your perpetual license prior to its expiration date. This will simply extend the end of your current plan another year. This means that you can renew your plan before July 1, 2019 at the current price.

Q - If my Subscription expires after July 1, 2019, can it be renewed beforehand at the older price?

A - Customers who purchased subscriptions prior to July 1, 2019 can continue to renew their subscriptions at the original (current) price.

Q - Will Avid change pricing on Avid.com?

A - Yes, pricing will be the same for our customers via the Avid webstore as through the reseller channel.

Q - Is there a limit on how many renewals I can purchase on my active Perpetual plan?

A - There are no limit. You can buy as many renewal plans and that will be added to your current plan. For example - If your Perpetual Plan expires in September 2019 and you chose to purchase 6 Renewals BEFORE July 1, 2019 then your new expiration date will be September 2025.

Q - If I crossgrade to a rental plan will I need to surrender my perpetual license?

A - Yes, crossgrades from Perpetual to Subscription will require you to surrender the current perpetual license you have.

Realtugs 18th June 2019 12:31 PM

Not a fan of this bit...

Q - If I crossgrade to a rental plan will I need to surrender my perpetual license?

A - Yes, crossgrades from Perpetual to Subscription will require you to surrender the current perpetual license you have.

Glad I have a few perpetual licenses for multiple systems. They shan't be taking them all. Will be as likely as Mel Gibson surrendering his freedom with his face painted blue, wearing gawd knows what under his kilt. Go on The Scots!

weezul 18th June 2019 12:46 PM

Nothing better than waking up to a doubling of the price of Pro Tools.... and if I decide to not keep paying 199 a year, I have to move to rental at 299 a year?!

Pro Tools Standard License Upgrade Plan - 199

Pro Tools Standard Annual Rental - paid annually 299

I'm probably going to stack up a few more £99 years as much as I can afford, but I ****ing HATE the fact I have to do it. They're probably hoping that's what everyone in my position is going to do, a quick cash injection for AVID. Honestly just a really **** day.

Guitarist9891 18th June 2019 01:51 PM

I LOVE pro tools, but this is ridiculous. :facepalm: To be honest the upgrades haven’t been THAT HOT and I have been on the annual upgrade plan since they introduced it. Now they are doubling the price?!?! And what ticks me off the most is the penalty for letting the upgrade plan expire if you want to reinstate the plan at a later date. :tut:

bitman 18th June 2019 02:02 PM

Cakewalk by Bandlab is as free as the wind blows. No subscriptions, just perpetually free. Just sayin.

Realtugs 18th June 2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weezul (Post 14046098)
Nothing better than waking up to a doubling of the price of Pro Tools...

Yeah... going to be a noisy day.

Brave man at the helm of Avid! I thought they may have handed out some freebies to people (not me) that had paid for subscriptions and received NADA for months. Perpetually... I didn't give a ****e. I find it ridiculously cheeky that they feel they're entitled to a pay raise based upon their offerings of the last couple years.

I suspect... and I may double back on this... but, I suspect they are surrendering turf to Studio 1, Band Camp... whatever. They are going further into the "elite" club/gang-type thing. Which IS where their main coin comes from.

I went from tape, to Pro Tools. I'll stick around... probably retire on it. But they're starting to turn my stomach.

Realtugs 18th June 2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarist9891 (Post 14046172)
...and I have been on the annual upgrade plan since they introduced it. Now they are doubling the price?!?!

Annual Subscription plan, I think you mean, yeah?

Nothing will double for you. If you pay annually (once) for PT Standard... no change at all for you. If you pay monthly... price will go up... but 20% or less.

If you already subscribe to Pro Tools Ultimate... the price will be cheaper... across the board.

So that clearly points to who they want to do business with.

Guitarist9891 18th June 2019 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Realtugs (Post 14046215)
Annual Subscription plan, I think you mean, yeah?

Nothing will double for you. If you pay annually (once) for PT Standard... no change at all for you. If you pay monthly... price will go up... but 20% or less.

If you already subscribe to Pro Tools Ultimate... the price will be cheaper... across the board.

So that clearly points to who they want to do business with.

Wait the price increase is only for the subscribers? I own a perpetual license for Pro Tools vanilla and pay a 100 bucks a year to be able to download any new version they come out with. The way I understood this is that I will have to pay 200 a year for the same thing.

This is what I buy every year: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgICyvD_BwE

weezul 18th June 2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarist9891 (Post 14046221)
The way I understood this is that I will have to pay 200 a year for the same thing.

You are correct. It's either stack up multiple years now at £99 (if even still possible) or pay once £99 this year and ****ing £199 the year after. Or go to renting which is £299 a year anyway. Truly got us by the balls.

marko a800 18th June 2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weezul (Post 14046223)
You are correct. It's either stack up multiple years now at £99 (if even still possible) or pay once £99 this year and ****ing £199 the year after. Or go to renting which is £299 a year anyway. Truly got us by the balls.

Yes apparently it's possible. You can stack up as much as you want up until July 1st.

However, if you decide to go subscription, you give up your perpetual license, but then get to pay the crossgrade price of 99 annually. The only difference being you no longer have a perpetual license.

Guitarist9891 18th June 2019 02:30 PM

I understand the reason why companies want to switch to subscription models but I just truly hate paying money an not be able to use software whenever. I also buy all my music as well and don’t pay for streaming. Maybe I do that because that’s what I am used to, but when I spend money I want to “own” something. (Own something As much as I can with software anyway)

soulone82 18th June 2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realtugs (Post 14046055)
going forward the preferred pricing model will be subscription-based pricing, because this is the direction of the entire industry

Thank god that´s a lie :cop:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realtugs (Post 14046055)
this is the direction of the entire industry and the way people would prefer to license software.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/6832...bc9c/tenor.gif

weezul 18th June 2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko a800 (Post 14046234)
However, if you decide to go subscription, you give up your perpetual license, but then get to pay the crossgrade price of 99 annually. The only difference being you no longer have a perpetual license.

Thanks for clarification :) So there is a way to get back to paying £99 in the long term. But how long is crossgrade price going to be a thing? Let's say i stack on 5 years of support before 1st July... at the end of that fifth year, is the crossgrade still even going to be 'a thing?'

Guitarist9891 18th June 2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulone82 (Post 14046239)

Ye I wonder WHO would prefer subscriptions. Certainly not the majority of users on this site from what I have seen at least.

marko a800 18th June 2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weezul (Post 14046245)
Thanks for clarification :) So there is a way to get back to paying £99 in the long term. But how long is crossgrade price going to be a thing? Let's say i stack on 5 years of support before 1st July... at the end of that fifth year, is the crossgrade still even going to be 'a thing?'

Who knows... Probably as long as perpetual licenses will be around.

But I honestly don't trust them to keep a pricing model for longer than two years anymore.. :facepalm:

Realtugs 18th June 2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarist9891 (Post 14046221)
I own a perpetual license for Pro Tools vanilla and pay a 100 bucks a year to be able to download any new version they come out with.

Nope... my apologies. I thought you were a Subscriber.

For whatever FUKKIN reason... you are the EXACT person they're trying to kill off. Arrrrrgh... I'm angry!

That ******...sorry...fella at the helm, is about to have the worst day of his "shiny business diploma" career. Oh well... like a band-aid... clean off!

I suppose if people are loud enough... like Hong Kong loud enough... maybe they withdraw it, and issue an apology.

Realtugs 18th June 2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

However, if you decide to go subscription, you give up your perpetual license...

That is where I'm out! It makes me want to speak like a teenager... Like seriously?

Put it up yer A..,id!

WHY did they not try a couple more 2019 updates before trying this???

They had the BS release where their stock was up, and they had more to offer this year... product wise.

Realtugs 18th June 2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulone82 (Post 14046239)
Thank god that´s a lie :cop:

Those EXACT two lines stood out to me... and made me vomit a little in my own mouth... while reading that thing. Who do these people think they are?

Again... Pro Tools is my WEAPON! I kill with it!

This is just very disheartening; a real changing of the guard going on here. And for WHAT? They didn't do $hit this year... not a thing! FINALLY did Mojave? I like the update... but 6 months PLUS? And now yer teaming up on six card HDX systems with Apple's new 5k (basement) machine... arrrgh... Ive nothing nice to say.

Make noise people. Let them feel you.

Macky 18th June 2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Yes apparently it's possible. You can stack up as much as you want up until July 1st.

Would the existing perpetual licence still stand? (at the time of crossgrade) and then moving forward its a "no perpetual" status. (subs/rental)
Just curious if the crossgrade wipes out any existing perpetual licence.
For PT standard i see the intro price is the same....for now ;)

EDIT
I just read that the existing Perpetual licence does actually become invalid.
So you lose an existing perpetual licence when you crossgrade to subs/rental
WTF .... who is gonna do that?

SameOh 18th June 2019 03:07 PM

I'm a bit confused.

The old model, perpetual with upgrades, is $199 per year now, right? But the rental plan is $299 per year? Why would I change my upgrade plan to the rental plan?

I know there is a crossgrade for $99, but I'll be able to be on this price for as long as I want? Or just the first year? Or I lose the deal if I stop a year?

LittleBoxRecords 18th June 2019 03:46 PM

Utter shyte.

I love PT and have used it since v6 I think? For the first time I’m considering jumping ship, which totally sucks.

Seriously WHO are the users who actually prefer rental?

Also telling is that they’ve changed the non-perpetual verbiage from “subscription” to “rental”, since subscription could be interpreted as owning the product you’ve subscribed to.

I don’t actually know that I trust them to honor the pre-purchased renewals.

Maybe they should focus on creating a product that makes users excited to update, instead of asking what their other options are.

kdm 18th June 2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Q - Will Avid still offer BOTH perpetual and subscription offerings?

A - We will continue to offer perpetual pricing as an option. However, going forward the preferred pricing model will be subscription-based pricing, because this is the direction of the entire industry and the way people would prefer to license software.
No, Avid, it is not how people want to license software, which is why DAWs like Studio One are becoming so popular. Subscriptions are only popular with software companies that have run out of new ideas to sell and make a profit (Adobe, Microsoft, Avid, etc). Instead, you adopt a permanent repayment plan to keep making money off of a product you sold us years ago. It isn't a business model, it is extortion. How about if you pay us monthly advertising fees for having your product on our computer screens when clients walk in?

I already sold one ProTools HD license because of this model. I might have to sell the other one.

SameOh 18th June 2019 04:17 PM

Maybe I'll just not give Avid any money anymore and don't update Pro Tools for as many years as I could.

When it stop working, I'll think about and maybe even change to Cubase, or Studio One, Reaper, anything.

LittleBoxRecords 18th June 2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SameOh (Post 14046421)
Maybe I'll just not give Avid any money anymore and don't update Pro Tools for as many years as I could.

When it stop working, I'll think about and maybe even change to Cubase, or Studio One, Reaper, anything.

Exactly what I’m thinking.

marko a800 18th June 2019 04:45 PM

I’m looking at Harisson Mixbus right now for $79.

Realtugs 18th June 2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky (Post 14046290)

Not me!

SameOh 18th June 2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky (Post 14046290)

A lot of people will not see how stupid that is and will jump on the better $99 deal. So, a real dick move by Avid.

Because, all in all, with a perpetual license I can choose anytime to stop paying monthly and the only thing I'll miss is Pro Tools updates, and being honest, I really doubt that Avid's updates will be missed that much.

But losing the perpetual license... stop paying, no more PT for you.

michaelpv 18th June 2019 05:08 PM

Vanilla user here. Just saw this. So my yearly 99 to Avid now becomes 199. Not for me. I will stick to Logic and let PT gather dust until it completely stops working. It is just not worth it. :facepalm:

Guitarist9891 18th June 2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realtugs (Post 14046500)
Not me!

Not me either.

Realtugs 18th June 2019 05:56 PM

The Hot-Dog in charge... or a (persuasive) minion below him... must have come up with a formula like...

( (freshly scared subscribers / dead-weight perpetual departers) * (our oblivious corporate normals * their blind discount) ) == PROFIT